Swan Jayco Swan Outback New or Pre Loved?

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
Hi there

I'm looking into purchasing a Jayco Swan Outback and I've been given the task of doing some research to try and convince the other half.

So I'm looking at the usual standard features plus outdoor shower, solar, roof rack and it must sleep 5-6 (I have 5 kids ages 16, 14, 5,4,& 3) so need the dinette and club lounge conversions and lastly a full annex.

So looking up re loved units a 2010 model is going for around the 20K - 25K mark with most of the extras I'd be adding if buying new.

The other half wants to know how often Jayco bring out a new model because maybe we could pick up a superseded model at a heavily discounted price around Xmas/New Year? I can't find prices on the Jayco website so that I can get an estimate on buying new to give me a ballpark figure with the accessories I'm looking for and google isn't helping with how often Jayco release new models.

Keeping in mind if we went pre loved we would own it out right and if we went new we'd have to fund the extra $$.

Also in my research I'm right in assuming I need a EB controller fitted to my Prado but is there anything else that I need to get wider rear view mirrors perhaps? And what is the advantage of having a treg hitch over the normal tongue and ball style hitch?

Also if we decide to go pre loved what do we need to look out for?

TIA

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hhhhmmmmmm

yes you need an Electronic Brake Controller - depending on how handy you are around a car will depend on how much it can cost you
the TowPro seems to be the flavour of the moment, and I dont know enough about them to say if it needs instillation or can be done at home
I have the Teshonka Voyager in one car, and another Teshonka in the other.....(both fitted by me & auto elecy mate

YES you need towing mirrors
YES yes yes yes yes yes
now, are you keeping the Prado for a long time, or is it due for replacement.........?
keeping for many more years - buy the Clearviews
upgrading or replacing soon - buy the cheapies from supercrap...........

Treg hitch V's normal ball.........in WA you can ONLY buy the Outbacks with a Treg
as it is the outback and not the touring, the theory is that its better for undulating ground (off road - but you dont say that)

if buying 2nd hand - try to get older than 2015.............
all the problems with cables, rooves etc are after mid 2015.......(roofs is american - rooves is English)

buying new - you can get just about everything you want - at a cost...........

you could always email Jayco for a quote....... with what options you want - that would give you a basis to start from

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
Thanks Bigcol

We would have the EB controller installed as that is easier and hubby isn't all that mechanical.

The plan was to keep the prado (05 diesel) for a few more years then upgrade to another prado (new diesel). We don't do much 4x4'ing but want the option to go off road if need be (beach, Bush etc....). The plan is that once we get one it will be something I can just hook up and take the kids and set up by myself without having to rely on hubby to help if he's deployed .

I was looking at around the 2010 - 2012 model for pre loved only because it fits the budget. So I'm glad to hear that you suggest sticking to pre 2015.

I'll email jayco and see what the overall cost is.

Thanks for your advise Bigcol appreciate it!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Screen grab today from the Jayco website re the list prices.

Jayco kind of bring out "new models" every year, but aside from the decal colours and furniture colours the Swan hasn't changed in years. Pricing is a work in motion and a superseded model will certainly be no guarantee of a genuine discount. If they happened to have a old model as floor stock, negotiate the price of new van to order, and only after you have what you believe is the best price then ask about the superseded stock unit. At least then you'll get a true indication if it is in fact discounted.

I juggled the purchase of an 18ft and 20ft Expanda. The price negotiated for the 20ft van made to order, was significantly lower than the price they wanted for a previous year build 18ft which was gathering dust in their yard ... and they wouldn't budge. I wanted the 18ft but couldn't square the price so I bought the 20ft, and the 18ft was still there 12mths later, still at the higher price. Go figure

Jayco Swan.JPG

Reactions: davemc and Ragdoll

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
FWIW, for a Penguin, the interior layout and 3D walkaround shown on the Jayco website has not been updated to the current model. It was wrong in August 2016 and is still wrong. It is also wrong in the last two sales brochures.

I would strongly suggest going to a dealer and looking carefully at a current model rather than relying on any published material.

Another way is to look at the caravan sales sites. They often have new or as new vans for sale with lots of pictures of the interior and exterior.

If you buy new, the roof lifting mechanism is covered by Jayco warranty for life BUT only to the original owner.

In the end, we bought a new Penguin. It cost less than buying something less than two years old AND we could order exactly what colors and extras we wanted. It is worth noting that the weight of any extras you add to a second-hand van (or after a new van leaves the factory) will have to be deducted from the weight allowance which is only 300kg on Jayco camper trailers. Also, the weight of gas (9kg) and water (82kg for a full tank) also comes off your personal allowance.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Ragdoll

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
FWIW, for a Penguin, the interior layout and 3D walkaround shown on the Jayco website has not been updated to the current model. It was wrong in August 2016 and is still wrong. It is also wrong in the last two sales brochures.

I would strongly suggest going to a dealer and looking carefully at a current model rather than relying on any published material.

Another way is to look at the caravan sales sites. They often have new or as new vans for sale with lots of pictures of the interior and exterior.

If you buy new, the roof lifting mechanism is covered by Jayco warranty for life BUT only to the original owner.

In the end, we bought a new Penguin. It cost less than buying something less than two years old AND we could order exactly what colors and extras we wanted. It is worth noting that the weight of any extras you add to a second-hand van (or after a new van leaves the factory) will have to be deducted from the weight allowance which is only 300kg on Jayco camper trailers. Also, the weight of gas (9kg) and water (82kg for a full tank) also comes off your personal allowance.

cheers
Mike
Aside from cosmetics Mike has there been any significant changes over last handful of years. I heard the Jayco demo guy yesterday at the Melb show singing the praises of the lifetime lift warranty

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
Screen grab today from the Jayco website re the list prices.

Jayco kind of bring out "new models" every year, but aside from the decal colours and furniture colours the Swan hasn't changed in years. Pricing is a work in motion and a superseded model will certainly be no guarantee of a genuine discount. If they happened to have a old model as floor stock, negotiate the price of new van to order, and only after you have what you believe is the best price then ask about the superseded stock unit. At least then you'll get a true indication if it is in fact discounted.

I juggled the purchase of an 18ft and 20ft Expanda. The price negotiated for the 20ft van made to order, was significantly lower than the price they wanted for a previous year build 18ft which was gathering dust in their yard ... and they wouldn't budge. I wanted the 18ft but couldn't square the price so I bought the 20ft, and the 18ft was still there 12mths later, still at the higher price. Go figure

View attachment 57504

So basically the only difference is the cosmetic features. And the only benefit to going new is the fact that you get the choice of colours and adding any accessories/options you want from factory.

I hear what your saying about a superseded model vs made to order and negotiating.

Why would they not want to shift old stock? That is bizarre.

Reactions: Crusty181

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
Hi,

cheers
Mike

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
Thanks Mikerenzy I think I will head off to a dealer when I'm kid free and take a good look at the "latest' Model. I've been stalking all the classifieds and looking through the photos.

Thanks for the info on the weight limits that's handy to know and to take into consideration.

Reactions: bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Aside from cosmetics Mike has there been any significant changes over last handful of years. I heard the Jayco demo guy yesterday at the Melb show singing the praises of the lifetime lift warranty
HI @Crusty181,
the most major change was about three years ago which put the bed at the back instead of at the front. The door was then moved forward and this changed the weight distribution resulting in a lower towball weight. I believe the aim was to get the towball weight down since a range of vehicles could tow the weight but could not handle the tow ball weight.

The website and brochures show the new layout, BUT, the table was changed slightly last year. It was originally a rectangular table and almost impossible to squeeze between the table and the fridge to get into the off-side seat. The current version shortened the seat, cut the corner off the table, and increased the length of the bench space between the stove and the bed.

cheers
Mike

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
(roofs is american - rooves is English)

Your a real learned gentleman ... @bigcol Esq

try arguing with an american English dictionary on the computer........it can be fun.......

apart from being taught English at school, I was also taught Maths (Imperial and Metric, Trigonometry and Calculus......)
wasn't taught Latin - as I am not a Catholic...... learnt French and German (AND it was an Army School...Holsworthy....)

ahhhh the good old days of education........

feeling like quite a dinosaur now.........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
back to your original question,
my sister has a Swan (a very old one) she has had it about 9 years now, and a part from the Canvas looking old and needing replaced - bloody thing still going and is great

her opinion - why update, she has everything the new ones have, but at 1/10th the price

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi @Ragdoll, I see you are in Brisbane. Around end of October, early November there is usually a caravan show where dealers reckon they are discounting all their old stock of vans to get ready for new models. It might be a good time to have a look at what is available.

Reactions: Ragdoll and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Thanks Bigcol

We would have the EB controller installed as that is easier and hubby isn't all that mechanical.

The plan was to keep the prado (05 diesel) for a few more years then upgrade to another prado (new diesel). We don't do much 4x4'ing but want the option to go off road if need be (beach, Bush etc....). The plan is that once we get one it will be something I can just hook up and take the kids and set up by myself without having to rely on hubby to help if he's deployed .

I was looking at around the 2010 - 2012 model for pre loved only because it fits the budget. So I'm glad to hear that you suggest sticking to pre 2015.

I'll email jayco and see what the overall cost is.

Thanks for your advise Bigcol appreciate it!

my clearviews are coming up to 8 years old
permanently mounted on my car
I have no problems in recommending them
they cost a lot to start with, but they seem to last well enough

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
Hi @Ragdoll, I see you are in Brisbane. Around end of October, early November there is usually a caravan show where dealers reckon they are discounting all their old stock of vans to get ready for new models. It might be a good time to have a look at what is available.

Is the show at the RNA show grounds or on the Gold Coast? Hubby normally has a stall at the Gold Coast one but seeing as he's cruising around SE Asia atm he won't have one this year. I'll keep my eye out for it and go and check it out though.

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
back to your original question,
my sister has a Swan (a very old one) she has had it about 9 years now, and a part from the Canvas looking old and needing replaced - bloody thing still going and is great

her opinion - why update, she has everything the new ones have, but at 1/10th the price

After speaking to hubby he said he's more comfortable with a 15k budget (could stretch a bit for the right unit) I think the 2010 model is sadly out of reach now.

I think we're looking at a 2005 model but even then it's slightly over going by private sale prices. Obviously I want as late a model as possible and while the later models are cosmetically more pleasing as Crusty181 said the layout is still virtually the same. Also I could possibly look at the Eagle as well because of the similar layout but losing the buffet..

So the difference in my researching is that anything before a 2007 model has a aluminum body and anything after has a fibreglass body. Both have a galvanised chassis.

Now hubby has also mentioned that there have been some issues with actual weight vs compliance weight. Has anyone put their swan over a public weigh bridge? He said something about the manufacturers doing something a little dodgy by weighng them before fitting them out etc... I would have thought they manufacture them and then weigh them to get a weight for the compliance plate and then any accessories plus luggage, water, generators etc come off the 300kg load weight? He said people are having to modify their camper to make them stronger to handle the weight and make it legal to tow?? He said it's all over the internal defence forums.

Last edited: