Swan Jayco Swan Outback New or Pre Loved?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Now hubby has also mentioned that there have been some issues with actual weight vs compliance weight. Has anyone put their swan over a public weigh bridge? He said something about the manufacturers doing something a little dodgy by weighng them before fitting them out etc... I would have thought they manufacture them and then weigh them to get a weight for the compliance plate and then any accessories plus luggage, water, generators etc come off the 300kg load weight? He said people are having to modify their camper to make them stronger to handle the weight and make it legal to tow?? He said it's all over the internal defence forums.

ahhh yes the elusive correct weight
the biggest problem is......
when Jayco build the standard van, they weigh it,and stamp the plaque
however
if the Dealer fits extra water tanks,aircon, solar panels etc - this weight is NOT on the plaque
hence the discrepancy

and it seems to be the same for nearly ALL the manufacturers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think we're looking at a 2005 model but even then it's slightly over going by private sale prices. Obviously I want as late a model as possible and while the later models are cosmetically more pleasing as Crusty181 said

should have also said

my sisters Swan is a 2000 touring

Reactions: Ragdoll

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Is the show at the RNA show grounds or on the Gold Coast? Hubby normally has a stall at the Gold Coast one but seeing as he's cruising around SE Asia atm he won't have one this year. I'll keep my eye out for it and go and check it out though.
Hi @Ragdoll, the show is at the Ekka ground, info here. While it is not actually a "show" it is a display of vans for a pre Christmas sale and is on at the end of the month.

Reactions: Ragdoll and bigcol

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
Thanks guys.

Well we decided to go pre loved and I've put a deposit on an 2009 Swan Outback (Hubby coughed up the extra to get a later model). So now getting EB Controller organised and because we can't store it under cover I'm looking for a quality cover for it.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Thanks guys.

Well we decided to go pre loved and I've put a deposit on an 2009 Swan Outback (Hubby coughed up the extra to get a later model). So now getting EB Controller organised and because we can't store it under cover I'm looking for a quality cover for it.

Great news, you will enjoy it. We started with a Swan.....

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
Hi guys

Thought I'd give an update on our purchase of a swan.

So as you know I'd put a deposit down on an 09 swan ob. I picked it up 2 weeks later and the fitted it out with all our kit.

So pur first trip away in it was Dec 27th and i flew solo with the kids. Left hubby at home. Well what a freaking disaster! The car overheated just shy if the top of Cunningham's Gap. 3 hours for a tow truck to tow us to Warwick and the news was terminalto our Prado. So my step dad towed us to a caravan park and we spent 2 days there trying to figure out how to a) get the prado to our own mechanics (toyota wanted between 11k and 15k to fit a new engine) and b) how to get our swannie home. And we had booked 4 days down at tweed 2 weeks later.

So we had the prado towed to our mechanics on the Gold Coast (i don't even want to know how much that cost) and hubby came and picked us and swannie up.

So hubby gets in to his car the next day and the clutch went in his car! Just dumb bad luck al round.

Any way hubby had his car fixed and then it took right up until the day before (Friday) we were to leave on our next trip for the prado to be finished. Where we had a great time.

So hopefully we won't have any more car issues. We've booked 5 days at Big4 Tweed Billabong over easter and a weekend in a coupke of weeks at Cotton Tree.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
W O W

you really need to do a full trip report on what happened............... just cause.........

I know the first trip in our Expanda, I kept thinking for miles, "dang, this thing is soo much heavier than the Flamingo we had"
then I found out I had blown the clutch.............

Reactions: Ragdoll and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now thats a real start to the towing fun, could say it's just another Prado thing but I won't......................................I can recommend the Towie at Inglewood, didn't have to wait long and I got my monies worth from the Top RACQ Road service cover with a tow from 10km out of Inglewood to Gundy for ute and 22ft van,prefer to pay for it and not use it ever again though...................................

Taking both cars to Cotton Tree ?????? ????????

Reactions: Ragdoll and bigcol

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
That's one hell of a start to your upgrade but all should be OK from now. Good luck for the future.

It is always one of my concerns when we are travelling so, like @Drover , we pay for top RACQ coverage. We just have to hope other states will honour us with the same reciprocal service.

Reactions: G Daddy and Ragdoll

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
That's one hell of a start to your upgrade but all should be OK from now. Good luck for the future.

It is always one of my concerns when we are travelling so, like @Drover , we pay for top RACQ coverage. We just have to hope other states will honour us with the same reciprocal service.
Completely agree!

RACV TotalCare: Wouldn't leave home without it.

We have the car and van insured with RACV. Together with Totalcare, if anything goes wrong only need to contact one company to sort it out.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragdoll

Ragdoll

Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
It certainly wasn't expected thats for sure. I think there was an underlying problem which was exasperated by the extra weight and going up the mountain. Our mechanic seemed to think it was the thermofan not kicking in which caused the problem. The engine was full of water.

We have top RACQ cover and the swan is with RACQ as well but all we got was a tow to Warwick. They didn't even open the bonnet to diagnose. It was just a tow to the nearest mechanic.

The engine should be good for another 400 000klm. So no we won't be taking 2 cars to Cotton Tree lol.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well Cunninghams is a good test bed both up and down, I'm always glad to hear when the fan kicks into full gear while it does mean the kettle is getting hot it's nice to know it's working.
Best of luck and have a good run next time.........check all hose clamps, last time I let a professional at mine I found one not quite right which would have been nasty.

Reactions: bigcol