Starcraft Jayco Starcraft 17.58.1 Outback - I've done it

Well, we've done it...order in for the new van which should be ready around July. Now I can't wait - although a bit terrified if it will actually fit in the carport and under the roller door.

Does anyone know if the travel height on the brochure includes the height for the hatch and solar panel?

Apologies in advance to turning into that person who can't wait....but I can't wait!! :)

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Well done. Not i have looked though in the past the brochure has an asterik which then refers to additional heights, weights, length etc etc.

Re the wait, join in with all the others currently waiting on the forum here for their vans, imagine your van is home in pride and place where you want to store it.

Pace.

Reactions: MarkGroote

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Congrats Mark nice to have another 17.58 person on the forum. Might be a few soon.
See if they can measure it for you, there is still a outback locally?
Again congrats hope you did well on the deal

Well had enough waiting myself.. 25 days to gooooooooo

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Congrats, yep as Dave said think there might be few more Starcrafts soon they offer a lot in the packages

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
Hi Mark what made you go a 17.58-1 over a Expanda 17.56-1.

I have been looking at The 17ft Expandas but like the idea of not having to worry about pulling the beds out or converting the bunks/second dinette every time we stop if we are touring. I have an Expanda 14.44-4 now so I have an idea how long it takes to set up.

We like the idea of having a shower toilet which would sway us back to the 17.56-2. An external shower would be an option on a starcraft.

We have three kids 6, 2 and 4 months and like the idea of having fixed bunks. I'm a bit worried about the length of the bunk across the back but I think most 10 year olds would fit.

I think I could tow a Outback 17.58-1, an Outback Expanda are heavier, my tow capacity is 2250 (hilux).

Main bed doesn't have a fold in it plus there is a bit of storage under the bed as well.

I think they are fairly well priced.

Any other things that you have thought about i would be interested to hear.

Scott

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
We also picking up a 17.58-1 with external shower.. 4 kids (7,5,2+2).
Double bunks 1850x70 one above the wardrobe 1557x70.. So yes legs will overlap once bigger.
I liked the fact bunks down one end and all beds always made :) would of been nice if the bottom one would of been like a dinette like the expanda/full starcraft. Pop top is lower then expandas/discovery's did not really notice until pointed out so check it out.

You could look at the 17-58-3 if you want shower/toilet and use the dinnette for one child? We are hoping to setup a trundle on the floor for twin two if he plays up on lower bunk with his brother. Although have dintette convertor for him later.

Hi Scott

Your reasoning was very similar to ours.

We initially went into jayco to look at buying an expanda and came across the starcraft (otherwise probably would have ended up with an expanda!)

We ended up getting the non ensuite version because we don't think we would really get a lot of use out of it - and having seen some second hand ones and the roof condition above the shower, and some horror leaking stories - it helped us make up our mind. We went with the pop top and the vinyl extension above the ensuite looked a bit tacky. we went with an external shower so if we ever desperately need one, we have one.

We used to have a jayco swan, and wanted the convenience of being able to stop somewhere, with the beds all set up. We laid on one of the split mattresses in an expanda, and we weren't sure how comfy that would be in the long term.

In terms of the bunks, we have twin 3 year olds, so unlikely to ever use the third bunk - just not sure what I'm going to do with it yet! The fixed bunks also means the boy's beds are ready to be slept in if we get in somewhere late.

The only thing I'm not excited about is the double bed. We had a lay in it, and its not quite as comfy as the queen size in our old swan, but I think all the other bits and pieces in the van make up for it.

Towing weight was also an issue - we have a prado so should have no problems with the expanda. we also went the pop top as we have storage height issues.

we put a few extras in - tv antenna, extra water tank and gas bottle, drifter monitor, hyland hitch, shower/hws and ESC - the plan is we won't replace it for some time!

The only other thing we thought about was camping in the rain - with the expanda, there's still the risk of wet canvas and we hated it when the swan got wet - it was a pain to dry it out.

Good luck with your search...we ended up going with halls jayco in mildura - great price and good service (so far!).

Cheers
Mark

Reactions: bigcol

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
We also picking up a 17.58-1 with external shower.. 4 kids (7,5,2+2).
Double bunks 1850x70 one above the wardrobe 1557x70.. So yes legs will overlap once bigger.
I liked the fact bunks down one end and all beds always made :) would of been nice if the bottom one would of been like a dinette like the expanda/full starcraft. Pop top is lower then expandas/discovery's did not really notice until pointed out so check it out.

You could look at the 17-58-3 if you want shower/toilet and use the dinnette for one child? We are hoping to setup a trundle on the floor for twin two if he plays up on lower bunk with his brother. Although have dintette convertor for him later.

Thanks davemc and Mark, I'm trying to avoid at all costs having to convert the dinette to a bed. We have just been away and had the basinette on one of the seats of the dinette. Got away with as it was still warmer and we stayed at a Big 4 with a great camp kitchen so we didn't eat or cook much in the van. The next trip I'm planning on is four week or longer, travelling 5000+km in winter so the van will be used differently.

Moving every couple of days will take its toll with setup/ pack up if we go with an Expanda again but this looks like the best option with out the shower toilet.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
It does not take too long to setup the Expanda although leaving the beds fully setup inc bedding was a bonus. Yes rather keep the dinette so if the Twins can last together in the bottom bunk be great. Trundle idea we will see if it works.
I would of preferred the shower/toilet although we both where not 100% happy with the expanda bed when we hired one.
One thing to think of I have seen 17-56's sell around $35k. Work and Play might be another idea? or non Jayco we really liked the New Age Bilby Family and Mantra ray. Could not fit the Mantra Ray into our place, could not fit 4 kids in a Bilby :)

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
I like the idea of the work n play also but it doesn't have a dinette and i think it will be close on weight, dam hilux. Hahaha, I'm part of the Jayco Family. My family owned a dealership for many years before retiring about 6years ago so if it's a new van it's a Jayco. I might be left out of the will if i bought anything else.

I can't get this van out of my head. Any idea How long is the wait for a new van once ordered.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
We ordered end Jan for June pickup, hence I am bald and grey (OK was that to start with :) )...I think the next run is July. Mark did you make it?

Depends on options you might be able to get one off a dealer if they want to move it.

We normally eat outside apart from breaky. Four kids small space equals mess.
I like the fact we can leave drawing stuff out on the dinette and not make it up for a bed, hence the idea for the trundle..
Work and Play with four bunks we looked we could curtain off the kids area, I really like the basestation although cannot fit that in as well :)

Last edited:

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
I have the 16.67-1 which is the same as the 17.58-1 but 2013 model, 1 ft shorter comes out the off bunk length and shelf on back of the dinette.

I had hired a expanda in the past and wanted to be able to walk inside rain hail or shine and sleep or make dinner etc. No canvas to dry if it gets wet , no beds to make etc.

Good choice and congrats

Last edited: