Jayco Expanda WA!!

Lisyloo317

Sep 5, 2015
Pemberton
I'm in search of a jayco Expanda outback 17-56 1 or 2. From 2011 onwards, preferably have hot water. I'm in wa. Looking to pay $33,000-$42,000

Thank you!

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Lisyloo317
I would be guessing you'd be looking at the high range of your budget for a good one.... We looked around last year at second hand 17.56.2 Outbacks and the best we found were only $1,000 to $1,500 cheaper than new!

Caravanland in Cannington have a 2006 full height one for $32,990 to give you an idea what is out there.

I found Gumtree to be the best when looking

Reactions: Lisyloo317

Lisyloo317

Sep 5, 2015
Pemberton
Welcome to the forum @Lisyloo317
I would be guessing you'd be looking at the high range of your budget for a good one.... We looked around last year at second hand 17.56.2 Outbacks and the best we found were only $1,000 to $1,500 cheaper than new!

Caravanland in Cannington have a 2006 full height one for $32,990 to give you an idea what is out there.

I found Gumtree to be the best when looking[/QUOT

Thanks heaps!, yes, definitely the higher end especially for an outback. They are so rare! We are soo soo keen to find one. Just sold our 2014 outback swan to upgrade to one. Easier with the kids .
We have been on gumtree about 1000 times a day for the last month haha, fingers and toes crossed one comes up. Even early $40K for something is ok.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
It might be worth getting a quote on a new one as well. Sometimes there isn't much difference.
Great advice @Tricky. Often the second hand units are put up at prices that are equal to current new van prices. As a general rule of thumb if you keep a van for 5+ years you'll get your money back, and 10+ years you'll make a small profit. (thats on original price paid)

Armed with the knowledge of a new van price, and how much 2nd hand ones increase in value will give you a good starting point of what a second hand one is worth.

If its a logistical possibility for you guys with transport and Eastern Trusty's, check out the 2nd hand vans on the eastern coast because they are likely to be better priced with a larger market. Road trip to beautiful Victoria is always worth the effort :biggrin:

Last edited:

Lisyloo317

Sep 5, 2015
Pemberton
Great advice @Tricky. Often the second hand units are put up at prices that are equal to current new van prices. As a general rule of thumb if you keep a van for 5+ years you'll get your money back, and 10+ years you'll make a small profit. (thats on original price paid)

Armed with the knowledge of a new van price, and how much 2nd hand ones increase in value will give you a good starting point of what a second hand one is worth.

If its a logistical possibility for you guys with transport and Eastern Trusty's, check out the 2nd hand vans on the eastern coast because they are likely to be better priced with a larger market. Road trip to beautiful Victoria is always worth the effort :biggrin:
Thanks heaps for that! There definitely are more on the east coast. Would love to do a road trip but the only time for us as farmers is winter. Hoping to get one soon. Have found one in SA so there is a possibility of my husband driving over but even then the money for fuel is a lot.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We just sold a Starcraft after a year they have gone up over $2k new.. Although we still lost a bit :( if we kept it 3-4 years then a new one would of been $5-$8k more then we paid. So would of ended up loosing less. Weird hey.
If you order new now you will be pushing to get it this year. Dealers normally do run outs in Jan when they start getting 2016 models
We just brought a new one from Mount Gambier Jayco and traveled from Vic to pick up as they sold the floor stock.
Might be worth ringing locally see what they can do or as others said maybe a road trip?

Also what are you towing with as some outback go over Prado friendly 2500.

Good luck with it

Lisyloo317

Sep 5, 2015
Pemberton
We just sold a Starcraft after a year they have gone up over $2k new.. Although we still lost a bit :( if we kept it 3-4 years then a new one would of been $5-$8k more then we paid. So would of ended up loosing less. Weird hey.
If you order new now you will be pushing to get it this year. Dealers normally do run outs in Jan when they start getting 2016 models
We just brought a new one from Mount Gambier Jayco and traveled from Vic to pick up as they sold the floor stock.
Might be worth ringing locally see what they can do or as others said maybe a road trip?

Also what are you towing with as some outback go over Prado friendly 2500.

Good luck with it
Thanks for your reply . We may possibly be heading to SA to grab one but still sussing a few things out. We have a ranger for towing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 203

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
This search site is not bad to see what is around or was around. The find the real website they are from :)
http://www.forsalecheap.net/search?...e_max=&vin=&country=au&state=&city=&location=

If you look in the last month in WA a 2011 is up $43k and a 2014 for $43k
Search gumtree, trading post, caravanandcamping and ebay.

Is this the SA one good value at $32k
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Carav...Shower-Toilet/Port-Lincoln/SA/AdNumber=9YNXZK

The just do a google search with Jayco expanda 17.56 in the last week :)
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...=2&ie=UTF-8#q=jayco+expanda+17.56-2&tbs=qdr:w

Lisyloo317

Sep 5, 2015
Pemberton
My goodness that SA one is amazing!! Have emailed them as that was the only option haha wanted to call!!

Seen all the gumtree ones. Thanks heaps for the msg!

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Looks great in the pics @Lisyloo317
Now if that one was available when we were looking I think it would have been a trip across the border for us!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Good advise there from @17triton
Had someone try to scam me last year but alarm bells do ring when selling a $50K van for $9,999.... Called his bluff and the ad went missing. Popped up on another online sale site the next day.... Sent details to scamwatch and that was the last we saw that van advertised but they probably tried with other "borrowed" photos of different vans!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
yes sometimes if it is too cheap its a scam... or sometimes luck :) Just be careful.. not sure anyone here local.

I normally grab a few selected sentences and do a google search to see if they took the wording from another ad.
This is done a bit different pictures to some advert they stole the words.

Lisyloo317

Sep 5, 2015
Pemberton
yes sometimes if it is too cheap its a scam... or sometimes luck :) Just be careful.. not sure anyone here local.

I normally grab a few selected sentences and do a google search to see if they took the wording from another ad.
This is done a bit different pictures to some advert they stole the words.
Good advise there from @17triton
Had someone try to scam me last year but alarm bells do ring when selling a $50K van for $9,999.... Called his bluff and the ad went missing. Popped up on another online sale site the next day.... Sent details to scamwatch and that was the last we saw that van advertised but they probably tried with other "borrowed" photos of different vans!

Lisyloo317

Sep 5, 2015
Pemberton
So, it's looking like the SA van is more than likely a scam. I have asked 3 times for a number to have a chat with them and they aren't giving me one, just saying let them know so they can make themselves available for viewing and how the van is in great condition but not giving me a contact number.