Jayco Expanda Outback airconditioner

JoM

Oct 7, 2012
Ok, we are really wanting and shortly ready to buy a jayco expanda outback - the 17.5ft with toilet/shower & bunks. Probem is we are concerned about the capacity of the heron 2.2 over getting the heron Q. How effective is the heron 2.2? The manufacturers say that the 2.2 is not recommended for pop tops, but Jayco install them - don't know why. Also, there is roof v's cupboard location of the air conditioner. Can anyone advise of their experiences of air conditioning effectiveness in an expanda. Cheers

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
For me it is roof mount every time. I found the wall mounts really noisy and it takes up space that could be used for something else.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
My wife and I checked out the 17 Outback yesterday at a show, the thing we noticed is that storage is light on, so I would think It would be a good idea to have a roofmounted unit just to free up some space, especially if you got the larger fridge, anyway thats what we would do.

Geoff

JoM

Oct 7, 2012
Thanks, I checked out the other thread. Does the sparrow work well to cool the interior of a 17.5ft or larger expanda? There is a van that is available which has a sparrow, but my partner is concerned that the Q would work better in cooling the van in 35 degree temps.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
We have the 17.5 outback and currently on a our big trip and we had fitted the roof mount sparrow unit and have used it on both heat and A/C and both have been greats with temperatures ranging from 0 - 36 degrees. The good thing about the roof mount you can flick it on or off from the bed. Also we went for the unit because it gave us a draw cupboard under the cook top. Good luck.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
JoM - We have recently picked up our 2012 17.56-2 Outback and like yourself, we trawled the forum and found many helpful comments like "the air-conditioner blows in your face while at the sink or cooking". As a result, we chose the roof mounted A/C unit and had the Sparrow fitted, in addition, this gave us a few more options for space, so went for a 150lt fridge and moved the microwave to where the Heron unit was and also had 3 shelves put into the robe by the fridge and this makes a great pantry/store.

We have just returned from a 2 week 3,500 Km trip from Melb to Qld and we had storage to spare.

Like Chooka, we used the A/C for both cooling and heating while on the trip and it is very efficient.

We are very happy with our decision to put in the roof mounted A/C unit.

Hope this helps.

Rohan

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We have the sparrow, and although we haven't used it under extreme conditions, it seems to cool and heat well enough.
Agree with the others re rooftop, not to mention the value it adds if selling later.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi JoM, welcome mate. We had 2.2heron in our 16-49-1 and now ibis roof top in our 18-57-6, definately more efficient and circulates air better as it blows down the length of van not across.

Cheers,
Burnsy.

Harv n Bron

Jul 9, 2012
Hi JoM, I have a 16.49.4 and the wall mount, only reason I went for this was an issue with height. At this stage have only used the heater and it works well. The kid in the top bunk cooks with me in my end and the minister for war and peace in the other end not getting any heat - that said, I've only used it to take the chill off the van - bit worried about leaving it on all night. Harv

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
We have the roof mount AC in our 2012 17.56.1.

Just returned from our 3 month trip around western loop of Oz.

AC worked great in the heat of Darwin & Broome.

Heater average in the cold of Alice Springs nights (-1C) however took the chill out of the air.

Good tip re - heater........if you think it's no good, leave the van for 10 mins and then come back inside. You'll be surprised how warm it feels.

The weight of the roof AC has impacted on the gas lift struts I believe. My roof now sits slightly off centre as the LHS struts collapse more easily than the other side........warranty job!!

Another thing to note.....came off the Gibb River Road up north, bit bumpy. No longer had power to the roof AC.

Called Jayco & asked if the unit had any power plugs I could check or if it was hard wired. They said hard wired.....which it is however.......

Cut a long story short, after the Broome based repair guy pulled everything apart, we finally found a beige plastic power clip/plug behind the MICROWAVE which had not been clicked together properly & came apart!!

Thank Jayco....5 minute fix I could have done instead of getting people out. Anyway at least the repair guy at Broome now knows....

Summary....very happy with the roof AC.

Izzy

PS: The roof AC has no drainage hose so when up north expect the water/condensation to overflow from the roof. It will run & drip to the lowest point of the roof. FYI.

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
Hi there. I have 16.49.1 ob and have wall mounted 2.2 due to hight. Van is high without it. Had it running in 34 deg temp and on 1/2 speed it was 21 deg with bed blinds closed ( day time ) No shower/toilet on my van though and I have more cubbed space than I no what to do with. Slightly noisey, but I'm happy
Izzya123 does your pop top have the push up arms, either end on the inside. They would help support the roof hey?