Electrical Inverter connection to battery - Best option?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
As mentioned in the "What Did You Do On The Weekend?" thread I picked up a 600W Inverter to fit to charge laptops, tablets etc but didn't have the chance to install.

Well during coffee breaks today I was contemplating different options for the installation!

Just after ideas as to what others have done as in:
  • Connect with the supplied alligator clips as and when required
  • Fit lugs and attach onto terminals permanently
  • Fit lugs and attach when required (Prior to leaving home)
  • Fit lugs, fit a on/off switch and attach permanently
  • Don't install the inverter and bugger the others in vicinity leaving the gennie running 24/7 ( :fish2: )

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I haven't done it yet but I will be doing option 4. I believe inverters still draw a small amount of power even when nothing is plugged in to the 240V socket so the switch is a good idea on the 12V side.

Reactions: dagree

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @dagree option 5 would give you a nice clear open space wherever you ended up staying :wink: but I am probably going to go with option 4 same as @MDS69 then you only have to flick the switch to use. A nice addition I also saw was from @TRAKADU I think where a different coloured powerpoint face plate was used to identify which one was for the inverter.

I assume you have to fuse it as well, although the inverter itself probably has this built in?

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Hey @dagree option 5 would give you a nice clear open space wherever you ended up staying :wink: but I am probably going to go with option 4 same as @MDS69 then you only have to flick the switch to use. A nice addition I also saw was from @TRAKADU I think where a different coloured powerpoint face plate was used to identify which one was for the inverter.

I assume you have to fuse it as well, although the inverter itself probably has this built in?

I am going to use a different coloured GPO but keep in mind they need to be double pole to comply.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
It may be a while before I do this; however in addition to the switch I was going to add relays to turn off the inverter and switch the power points back to normal 240V whenever external power is applied. Noting that specific precautions are required that normal 240V & inverter 240V are not connected together. All switchover relays would need to be break before make and the manual switch would also be used. This would apply more to microwave use rather than charging appliances. Also need to have it so that relays are activated by 240V connection so they do not draw power from 12V.

Slightly more complicated but also associated with battery charging options and removing any draw on the battery while 240V is plugged in.

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and burnsie

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
in my Flamingo, i had a 900W pure sine inverter, wired perminately to the battery. there was a switch to turn it on, and 2 GPOs from the inverter.
worked a treat.

this van i havent got around to doing it yet.
but will......

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
"Fit lugs and attach onto terminals permanently"
That is what I did. Mine is a 3000w though so didnt really have a choice. The only problem I have is its mounted in the front tunnel next to the water heater so I have to lift the bed to turn it on and off. I Just have to work out where I want to remote mount the switch and run 2 wires and all will be good.

Reactions: dagree and burnsie

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Looks like permanent lugs and a switch it is.... Time permitting on the weekend (And finding a suitable switch) hopefully will have it installed.
I like the idea of the coloured GPO but as said it's only for minor use so will fit a desktop cable grommet (pic below) to allow the connecting cables to be plugged into the laptop and tablets when required.

desk-grommet-60mm-black.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hey @dagree option 5 would give you a nice clear open space wherever you ended up staying :wink:

If I try Option 5 in a week and a half I'm sure @jeff and @Capt. Gadget will have something to say about it ;)
The inverter will be mounted close to the battery and is fused itself so not 100% sure If I'll add one to the wiring (Yet!).

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
If I try Option 5 in a week and a half I'm sure @jeff and @Capt. Gadget will have something to say about it ;)
The inverter will be mounted close to the battery and is fused itself so not 100% sure If I'll add one to the wiring (Yet!).
All Generators off when the last bunch of drunken yobbos that are dribbling rubbish sitting by the fire go to bed unless you have 300m+ of extension chord