Insurance

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@les2476 It was so long ago I can not remember. It may have been at one of the caravan shows or one of the import shops. Try searching (google) for "ratchet jockey wheel" for ones around you. Also ebay and gumtree for second hand ones. Mine is actually an oversized socket and wrench attached to the jockey wheel which has a ratchet brake lever that can operate in either direction.

Cheers

PS had my own reversing issue this morning, after thing I need to pull the caravan around sharply to park while waiting for the caravan place to open, I noticed that I was going to clean up a sign. Stopped and tried to reverse to change the angle and got it so wrong that I needed to unhitch and come in from the other side. No damage to sign or van or car. Ego completely deflated.:embarassed::yield:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Currently shopping for insurance and saw this in the YouI PDS.

'Traveller Bonus

If within the contract period you visit each Australian State with your caravan or trailer, we will pay you $200 and an additional $200 if you visit Tasmania as well. Proof of your booking and stay, such as receipts and photographs, are required.

I don't get why they would encourage you to travel to every state??? ...Perhaps they want you to damage the van to put in a claim and lose your 'no claim bonus'???

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Hi all we are insured through Ken Tame who is the Insurer used by the CMCA (Caravan Motor home of Australia) which is Allianz. In saying that we were already with Allianz Home and a car and could not get anywhere near the same price. This has been a lot cheaper for us. A couple of catches that may not suit all you must become a member of CMCA but cannot attend any rallies unless you have a motor home no big deal for me, you do get a pretty good magazine every month and discount card. The other catch is you must insure the tug you cannot just insure the caravan. The PDS seems to show good coverage on paper, I will let you know just how good in fact as I have just had the Panda quoted as one of the kids friend has run a push bike in to the front left hand side beside the second gas bottle and put an 18 to 20 inch fracture in to the front of the Panda not happy Jan.

P.S only a phone call and $200.00 excess at this stage.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey @les2476
I to had no experience reversing when I first got my van. I also had only towed a box trailer a handful of times and avoided reversing that most times too!

Practiced reversing in a big paddock. One thing i have not seen anyone mention is that it is much easier to reverse the van in on the drivers side rather than the blind side. The blind side is when you would be back the van in and you need to look out the passenger side of the car rather then the drivers side. It is far easier to be looking out the drivers side as you can see more.
I have found that the van parks don't necessarily think about this when they draw on their maps to show you which way to drive in either.

Im assuming you got your insurance sorted by now. Its interesting for me now as I have had my van 12 months and have been doing the ring around. Im in QLD and have found that not all companies up here list storm / hail / flood damage etc. Not listed not covered is what i have found. I didn't even think about that last year. It seems that this is pretty well a default on car insurance but not van insurance. Another thing i have found is just how much a particular company may or may not cover you for if your van may need to be towed to your home. For example you are travelling on the other side of the country, the van is damaged and it is not able to be towed. It needs parts that are going to take a couple of weeks to get to the repair agent. So you drive home and leave your van there as you have work commitments. How do you get it home? Some companies will get your van to you but others expect you to drive back and pick it up.

Cheers
Ants

Reactions: blacky

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Second that tip about reversing in on drivers side. Once bitten.... Now I ensure I arrive at the site pointing in the right direction even if it means a tour of the park.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Umm, Ant, in my yard I have no option but to blind side reverse. I actually found it dead easy. I use a combination of the truck mirrors and then looking through the off side back window. Have only had one incident when I miss-judged a tree branch and a side gate. I do all the reversing on my own. I also go vewy vewy slowly. And yes caravan parks can be a pain. They are not always clearly marked.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Stan
Im not saying its hard when you have done it and have learnt to back, im saying that in general, most people find it easier to reverse the other way, especially when learning as you can see down the side of the van much better for obstacles. And yes, slowly is good and generally with a set of eyes down the side of the van you can't see down in places you are not familiar with. :)

Ants

Reactions: Stan53

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Currently shopping for insurance and saw this in the YouI PDS.

'Traveller Bonus

If within the contract period you visit each Australian State with your caravan or trailer, we will pay you $200 and an additional $200 if you visit Tasmania as well. Proof of your booking and stay, such as receipts and photographs, are required.

I don't get why they would encourage you to travel to every state??? ...Perhaps they want you to damage the van to put in a claim and lose your 'no claim bonus'???

I renewed with Youi today, your right about the $200 but i thought it was for Tassie only. I checked that they cover expandas (canvas ends) for theft and all good!

IMgone

Oct 7, 2012
Riverstone
I've been shopping for insurance myself, I heard about CMCA you have to be a member of CMCA (Caravan Motor home of Australia) & then you can insure with Ken Tame insurance, underwritten by Allianz seem to good to be true can anyone tell me more about them. I have read rojoberry's post but can not find out anything more ???

IMgone

Oct 7, 2012
Riverstone
Hi all we are insured through Ken Tame who is the Insurer used by the CMCA (Caravan Motor home of Australia) which is Allianz. In saying that we were already with Allianz Home and a car and could not get anywhere near the same price. This has been a lot cheaper for us. A couple of catches that may not suit all you must become a member of CMCA but cannot attend any rallies unless you have a motor home no big deal for me, you do get a pretty good magazine every month and discount card. The other catch is you must insure the tug you cannot just insure the caravan. The PDS seems to show good coverage on paper, I will let you know just how good in fact as I have just had the Panda quoted as one of the kids friend has run a push bike in to the front left hand side beside the second gas bottle and put an 18 to 20 inch fracture in to the front of the Panda not happy Jan.

P.S only a phone call and $200.00 excess at this stage.

Just checking how Ken Tame insurance preformed, I ended up signing up with them, cannot beat the price !!! Was with NRMA. previous

Last edited: