Insurance

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Hi guys picking up my Flemingo next week and I need to get it insured. Any views on the best cover. I'm in NSW. Cheers

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Well, I can't talk much about your Flamingo. We did RAVC because our car and house is insured with them. Seemed logical to have it all in one.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I know there is a whole thread re CIL insurance, and was just looking at the PDS. They still only seem to have the clause of:
Won't pay on...
"Theft or attempted theft of fixtures and fittings of your caravan if:
It it is not securely locked, or there is no physical evidence of forcible and violent
entry."

Coming in through uncliping of the canvas end??? I have not seen how the canvas is attached to the bed base, but if screwed, that would be forcible wouldn't it?

I also need to find insurance before pickup on Friday... Damn time is running out fast.

BJ

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I think CIL now cover as I thought they changed the policy as a result of expanda owners leaving the insurance company. But don't take my word on it. May be worth a phone call.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Thanks for your replies guys, a bit confused about the CIL bit. What should I be getting cover for? sorry to be a pain. Also I'm picking up my Flemingo on Wednesday and am very paranoid of reversing it into my garage. I don't have any experience and I don't have much room to work with, any tips. I've got visions of scraping the van:(:(:(

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Hi Les, I went with NRMA, as they were cheaper than CIL, all our house and cars are with them and they gave me a further discount for being a gold member.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks for your replies guys, a bit confused about the CIL bit. What should I be getting cover for? sorry to be a pain. Also I'm picking up my Flemingo on Wednesday and am very paranoid of reversing it into my garage. I don't have any experience and I don't have much room to work with, any tips. I've got visions of scraping the van:(:(:(
Not a pain, mate. That's what this forum is all about.
A quick chat with CIL will set you at ease re insurance. That's what they do.
Tell them you're new to vanning and getting some quotes and ask for some explanation of the cover they offer.

Re reversing the Flamingo...skill only comes with practice. Until you get a bit of practice somewhere with a bit of clear space and no pressure, just back it up as close as you feel comfortable with, put your jockey wheel on and carefully push it in (with a couple of helpers). You might even want to consider a ratchet power-wheel thingy. We've all been there at some stage, don't let it spoil the experience on Wednesday. It's all going to be terrific.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria

I know how you feel. Wait until you get to a caravan park at 6PM on a hot summers night down a skinny road with cars everywhere and half a dozen people watching on.

Practice reversing, buy some witches hats, go to a large empty car park and practice. I did it. Still on L's.

Reactions: Bonners

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Thanks guys. One more question. Do I need to insure before pick up or am I covered on the way home. When I went online with CIL, they requested chasis number etc.

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
Confirm cover with the insurer before you pick up, then let them know the chassis number etc when you get home. As for your reversing question, practice, practice, practice..ideally with no one watching.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks guys. One more question. Do I need to insure before pick up or am I covered on the way home. When I went online with CIL, they requested chasis number etc.
Get the chassis number, rego, etc., off the dealer and organise your cover over the phone before Wednesday. One less hassle, but you could even just do it on the day at the dealers, but it's just one more thing to think about on the big day.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@les2476 I use a similar product to a "mule" (ratchet jockey wheel) to put the van into the shed. Reversing is all about doing it in your time. I do not care if I reverse 2" at a time and get out and have a look each time, you need to do what is comfortable for you. After a while it will get easier. The other thing to do is try and set up markers and guides. When I paved the drive way I used different coloured pavers to mark the door opening on the shed. If the wheels of the caravan are inside these and the caravan straight then it will not hit the sides.

Good Luck

Reactions: Xpandafan

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Always shop around for insurance, but make sure they understand it's canvas sided when set up, I found M.H.I.A was about the the best for campers when we had ours, I didn't go with them with the Expanda, as they were about $100 more than NRMA (multi policy discount), though my renewal is about due going to get another quote from M.H.I.A

As for reversing, "SLOW an STEADY" as someone said to me once "When you put the car in reverse put your brain in reverse" :dizzy:

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
I know how you feel. Wait until you get to a caravan park at 6PM on a hot summers night down a skinny road with cars everywhere and half a dozen people watching on.

Practice reversing, buy some witches hats, go to a large empty car park and practice. I did it. Still on L's.
You paint a terrifying picture.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
@les2476 I use a similar product to a "mule" (ratchet jockey wheel) to put the van into the shed. Reversing is all about doing it in your time. I do not care if I reverse 2" at a time and get out and have a look each time, you need to do what is comfortable for you. After a while it will get easier. The other thing to do is try and set up markers and guides. When I paved the drive way I used different coloured pavers to mark the door opening on the shed. If the wheels of the caravan are inside these and the caravan straight then it will not hit the sides.

Good Luck
Where did you purchase the ratchet