Insurance quotes

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
To me, CIL are always going to be the fall-back option. A good policy, and competitive pricing. (Only reason we changed was the killer deal from Swann under the Jayco branding)

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I can't remember the numbers, but we ended up going with Swann Insurance, using the policy they now offer through Jayco dealers. It was SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than CIL, offered good conditions, and has (if I recall correctly) a 5 year (!!!!) new for old replacement if your van is a total loss.

Our van is optioned substantially (all except the gas heater being factory fitment) and even CIL baulked at the invoice price (albeit eventually offering a quote). With the Swann policy - no problems at all - if its on the invoice, then its covered 5 years new for old.

We were insured with CIL previously and I found them good to deal with. However the difference (it was in the hundreds of dollars) and importantly, the 5 year new for old replacement for a total loss, made me take a chance with Swann.
Hi,
have you got any contact details for Swann Insurance. The only website I found related mainly to motorbike insurance and
had no mention of caravan insurance.

I looked at the Bayswater Jayco site and the only mention CIL.

Mike

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
Yeah cil was a good price and they had a fair policy and even if u are member of big4 they up your content value buy $1000...racq had a great deal..Queenslands largest club..

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Hi,
have you got any contact details for Swann Insurance. The only website I found related mainly to motorbike insurance and
had no mention of caravan insurance.

I looked at the Bayswater Jayco site and the only mention CIL.

Mike

Mate, I didn't even know about it until the dealer mentioned it. apparently it is a "Jayco" branded product. Your dealer should know about it.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
A question re deciding on the contents insurance.

I know the dealer's invoice, and the data insurance companies have on makes and models, determine the base price of insurance but......

We always seem to get the contents bit wrong! Initially, with the camper trailers and just using all our old stuff...old camping gear, basic cooking stuff, very old clothing, no tv, water containers etc etc. Contents were estimated at a maximum of $1,000.

Then we progressed, got more fancy so had to up the contents bit and assumed everything not on the dealer's invoice and therefore added was to be covered...and added on the more expensive stuff carried in the vehicle.

We then arrived at a significantly higher figure, which we now suspect was a bit higher than necessary....we included linen, food, iPads, portable solar, tables, chairs, Weber and so forth.

My question is: what do most people do with the contents bit of the insurance?
Keep it low to lower the premium (very risky) or look at replacement cost of absolutely everything?

Our last contents bit was estimated at around $10k but I'm now wondering if that's the norm...or were we wildly inaccurate?

(Two adults who like to eat and drink good wine ....and carry iPads and other toys)

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
good point @Dobbie

I would suggest it is like home insurance - most guess at the value of the contents

even if you used the pricing from a 2nd hand shop for your household goods, you would be amazed at just how much it soon adds up to

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
am I missing something....
CIL explicitly exclude theft or attempted theft of contents for all caravans that do not have hard walls.

I rang CIL and they confirmed that theft or attempted theft of contents from a Jayco Penguin is not covered.

Am I wrong to assume then that expandas and any other pop-tops also do not have hard walls and are not covered by CIL for
theft or attempted theft of contents?

kindest regards
Mike

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi,
am I missing something....
CIL explicitly exclude theft or attempted theft of contents for all caravans that do not have hard walls.

I rang CIL and they confirmed that theft or attempted theft of contents from a Jayco Penguin is not covered.

Am I wrong to assume then that expandas and any other pop-tops also do not have hard walls and are not covered by CIL for
theft or attempted theft of contents?

kindest regards
Mike

now THAT is interesting

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Mm mm mm mm .....

Our expanda was covered...no indication that the canvas affected the theft component but it needs to be checked. That was with CIL, I think...must check.

I just did an online quote with RACQ....all our other insurance is with them....and it didn't even ask for make and model on the online details, just whether it was a caravan or camper trailer.

No doubt these details will be added if I go ahead with the process.

Which now prompts another question......is an Expanda a caravan or a camper?

Their definition of each could be interesting. A Starcraft is a caravan, a hard or soft lid trailer is a camper trailer, a Complete Campsite is a caravan....but it does have a half poptop which could be construed as canvas.

Is a poptop a caravan with some canvas?

I know friends who've had stuff stolen from a caravan with a poptop several times...thieves cut the poptop skirt and nicked the stuff stored on top of the cupboards. So that's an insurance risk.

Aaahhhh...the conundrum.

:blue:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
This has been discussed a while back too.
Originally I had in writing from them that it was only annexxes not covered but the expander and pop tops were. When others asked they same thing they were told no caravan soft wall walls either. And it went back and forth for a while.
If I recall correctly, CIL ended up stating definitely covered theft from inside any van, but not annex, but still refused to put that distinction in their PDS. Even though they specifically wrote to me again and assured me they would honour the letter originally provided, I dumped them for RACV at the time and later AAMI who were prepared to include it in their PDS. (or rather not be ambiguous about what they classify as inside the van - "any damage to get in and its a legitimate claim)
Once you start having that argument, I see claims being refused.

In regards to contents, most have a very low insurable amount. CIL and RACV refused to increase it upon request (not sure if that is still the same policy). AAMI would, but only put if up to a couple grand. Other stuff like laptops and ipads I have separate insurance on - whether under house insurance (Extra Cover Potable valuable) or my business. The portable insurance gives greater cover for their amount. You've really got to read the PDS cos they stick in policy limits - eg you might have $1000 coverage, but we will only pay out $200 for any one item of this or only $500 of that - they might not be full replacement value. Thus if Im carrying $3000 of photography equipt plus a laptop or ipad etc, I'll insure them properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
here is what I have learned: It is not comprehensive, just a review of some main points in my mind.

Swann Insurance have just started offering Caravan Insurance. This is so new that they have no
information about it on their website. They mainly do Motorcycle insurance.
They don't seem to have any special association with Jayco, but the PDS gives 5 year new replacement for
Jayco, otherwise 3 years for any other brand.
However, they exclude theft or attempted theft from caravans with non-rigid walls. So that rules them out for my Penguin.
Didn't get a quote.

CIL, as already noted don't cover theft or attempted theft from caravans with non-rigid walls. So that rules them out.
Quote was $377.63

APIA seems comprehensive and does not distinguish between what walls the caravan has. Contents cover is only an optional extra. Quote was $430.58 basic, or $446.31 with $1,000.00 contents cover. It may be possible to get 15% discount by applying online. I didn't try this.

RACV does not distinguish between what walls the caravan has. It excludes quite a few items under contents cover. And accommodation limits are lower than other policies.
Premiums were:
$200 excess: $305.03
$500 excess: $284.49
$1,000 excess: $265.22
We have multi-policy, Premier 1 rating, 25 years membership discounts.

We will go with RACV since then both the car and Penguin will be with the same company.

Many thanks to all those who responded.

Mike

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
Is your van still covered for theft etc in the "off" months?
Dobbie - first an apology for the delayed response time. I somehow missed your post. The van is insured all year round but can only be used during the nominated months. Originally I excluded November and then we decided to visit Busselton for a few days late November - I just rang up QBE and swapped Nov and December around and there was no change to my annual premium of $365 ( I excluded 6-months) - note van is a 16.49.1 so not a real expensive van.

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Oolong. I like it so far.

Thanks for the info but just to be clear the van is covered for theft, damage from trees whatever in the off months?

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
That is my understanding and my policy does not state anything else; all it states is I can use the van during the nominated months.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ok thanks.

I think I'll err on the side of conservatism....as usual....as our place has a history of falling trees and even though the van will be in a shed, I'd hate to risk it if there's an insurance claim.

But the approach does look attractive.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
I was looking at RACQ PDS and they have the following exclusion.

"The use, existence or escape of nuclear weapons material."

I better find another company just in case.:distrust:

Close to $1700 a year for $76000van +$4000 contents

Looks like AAMI is a no goer as well cause they exclude:

"action of nuclear fission including detonation of any nuclear device or nuclear weapon"

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
CIL are now giving you an extra 10% discount if you have a fibre glass van but only on jayco at the moment.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Swan looks like there about $600 VS $1000 CIL VS $1700 RACQ for me at $72000 policy.
Anyone had yo make a claim through them?
20170411_090659.png

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I've been pretty disappointed with the performance of CIL fro a few years, so finally acted on my long standing vow to ring around once the renewal appeared.

Today I swapped insurer to RACV. $200 cheaper than CIL with an agreed value of $10k more and the agreed value never reduces so long as stay insured.