Insurance quotes

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
we will pick up our new Jayco Penguin in November and I have the PDS's for caravan insurance from RACV, CIL, and APIA.

After reading all the discussions on insurance here, I noticed the gotcha with CIL on personal contents
not being insured unless the caravan or annex has 'hard walls'.

Also, after reading the forums here, I will definitely be getting a quote from youi.
One question. In the cases where they reduced the excess and premium on the
second call to get the business, did the premiums go up substantially when it came
time to renew?

Second question is: does anyone have any experiences good or bad with the APIA caravan insurance?
They seem to be more generous with emergency expenses, repairs, and accommodation in
the event of an accident. The one drawback is that they only offer the policy with a $200 excess.
So no chance to reduce the premium by having a bigger excess.

Third question is: has anyone had any experiences with having the car and caravan insured with
different companies?

kindest regards
Mike

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I can only answer one of your questions @mikerezny

Third question is: has anyone had any experiences with having the car and caravan insured with different companies?

both my cars are insured with HBF (CGU) for convenience only - pay monthly
never had a problem as yet - just dont like CGU so am looking to change

my 16.49.1 is insured with RACWA
again, never had a problem as yet

mind you (touching wooden desk) I've not had to make a claim on either for over 10yrs

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I'm still with Youi, but I'm finding that their not as generous with discounting.
The premiums didn't go up when I renewed, but if they do, just go elsewhere.

Reactions: rcf

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
For what it's worth......

We had/ have both van and vehicle insured with RACQ.....or whatever it is in your state.

On the one occasion we had the need to claim, they were great and it was easier because both were insured with the one company so no mucking around trying to get different companies to talk to each other and apportion percentages.

Claim was accepted instantly and they were incredibly helpful.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While going over the insurance info for new house, I had a quick look at the vehicle cover of Defence Homes Insurance, excellant cover for homes but they also do vans, cars and boats it's is underwritten by QBE, noticed in the fine print that if claiming for off road or beach that the excess is doubled which I suppose isn't too bad as some don't cover you....

Reactions: bigcol

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I have everything covered with the one insurance company. That way when a meteorite hits my house, along with the caravan and two cars, I only have to pay one excess. But on second thought I'll probably be dead.

Those bloody insurance salesman! I knew there was a catch.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's why they employ call centres to call you often at all times of the day.

They just want to make sure that you don't need some help. So kind and caring!

>:(

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
thanks for all the most helpful responses.

I hate reading through all this legal stuff. The more I read the more I get confused or annoyed
at what they will or will not cover. Seems to me that there is never any confusion about
how they take the premium!

The PDS's for RACV, APIA, and CIL all exclude liability cover for the caravan if, at the time of
the incident, or immediately before the incident, it was attached to registered motor vehicle.

Would I be correct in assuming that any such claim would have to be made through the
insurance on the motor vehicle?

If so, it seems to me that if my caravan was connected to a vehicle owned by someone else
I would want to be very careful to ensure that the vehicle had sufficient liability cover.

And I thought deciding on what camper trailer to buy was the most difficult part :)

kindest regards
Mike

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
The PDS's for RACV, APIA, and CIL all exclude liability cover for the caravan if, at the time of
the incident, or immediately before the incident, it was attached to registered motor vehicle.

Would I be correct in assuming that any such claim would have to be made through the
insurance on the motor vehicle?

That is interesting. I know on my Youi policy I do have to nominate the tow vehicle.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
That is interesting. I know on my Youi policy I do have to nominate the tow vehicle.

I found QBE offered a good policy at good rates as I could delete months of the year (I think you can select up to 6-months) I do not use the caravan. So for a policy where you use the van for say 7 months of the year is less expensive than one where you use say 10-months of the year. Even for 12-month policy I found QBE far cheaper than any other quotes I got.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
QBE are the underwriters for Defence Homes Insurance and I found their quote to be better than most and cheaper than my RACQ cover though the vehicle cover was a bit more than RACQ so in the end stayed with RACQ as the overall cost was less................all policies I've looked at required some sort of fine annaylst, some required the excess to be double if driving off road or on a beach while some wouldn't cover at all and similar fine print for Vans, it's a mine field, overall found RACQ to do the job, Youi I didn't like.

Reactions: mikerezny

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I found QBE offered a good policy at good rates as I could delete months of the year (I think you can select up to 6-months) I do not use the caravan. So for a policy where you use the van for say 7 months of the year is less expensive than one where you use say 10-months of the year. Even for 12-month policy I found QBE far cheaper than any other quotes I got.

Is your van still covered for theft etc in the "off" months?

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Check out MHIA as well had my camper and expanda with them, due to the soft wall thing clause for contents
Though currently with CIL on the van.
May also want look at Club4x4 insurance especially if you intend on taking the camper into some of those out out the way places

Last edited:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Even if not going out the way, Club 4x4 gave a reasonable policy, including for 'off' months as mentioned above. I haven't changed mine from AAMI, which I've been happy with, but club 4x4 gave better inclusions, agreed values, contents and modifications, for a few dollars a year less. Combined with their car insurance for the same improvements and several hundred dollars less.
I'm seriously considering the change to them.

The unknown is claiming. AAMi was easy in the regards....

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The unknown claim drama is always my big burning question......................RACQ/NRMA road service and insurance made life easy for when I've needed it, a couple of times over the last 40 yrs, just ring one mob, tow it, fix it , ring when done........no dramas, no waiting for months...........

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
I got 4 quotes for a 20 64 1 ob.. youi was the most expensive... even thou i have 3 other policys with them.. 2nd was racq.. 3rd was nrma.. and cil was the cheapest...

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
I can't remember the numbers, but we ended up going with Swann Insurance, using the policy they now offer through Jayco dealers. It was SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than CIL, offered good conditions, and has (if I recall correctly) a 5 year (!!!!) new for old replacement if your van is a total loss.

Our van is optioned substantially (all except the gas heater being factory fitment) and even CIL baulked at the invoice price (albeit eventually offering a quote). With the Swann policy - no problems at all - if its on the invoice, then its covered 5 years new for old.

We were insured with CIL previously and I found them good to deal with. However the difference (it was in the hundreds of dollars) and importantly, the 5 year new for old replacement for a total loss, made me take a chance with Swann.

Reactions: bigcol

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
Youi gave me a price of $1900... nrma and racq was just under 1100.. and cil was just under 1000.. and ive got 3 other policys with youi..

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
(Picking my jaw up off the floor at those numbers....)

Hells bells @rcf, we only paid 6 hundred and some dollars to insure new mid 70k starcraft.

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
I knw and ive got 3 other policys with them.. me and the saleman at youi clashed ova the ph.. i ended up speaking with a supervisor and she said lets have a look at all my pollices and see ended up saying i can knock 50 dollars off..