Electrical Ideas on battery setup

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Finally I understand. Awesome stuff. All this info has taken a big load off my shoulders! I thought I was in for a much bigger job. I will get a battery tomorrow and get it all underway. Thanks to all for running me through it....Chriso
Hi,
You will also need to get a battery box to secure the battery.

What sort of battery did you have in mind?

take care
Mike

Attachments

• BB438.jpg
    BB438.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 162

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
@mikerezny , I was thinking of a Camec 120AH. $350 locally. Could you suggest something else?
Hi
Is that the AGM type with 26 month warranty?

I can't recommend anything. I still have the 95Ah Ritar GEL that was supplied 3 1/2 years ago when we bought our new Penguin.

But there are quite a few people on this forum who will be able to help.

take care
Mike

Reactions: Chriso100

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@mikerezny , I was thinking of a Camec 120AH. $350 locally. Could you suggest something else?

Hi @Chriso100 , if looking for good AGMs with a 2 year warranty, you might like to look on Ebay at the attached link. Although coming from Adelaide, postage is free and these AGMs can be transported without any restrictions as they are "unspillable". And transport is fast and right to your door. IMHO, this one represents the best value for your buck as most are a lot dearer and not necessarily any better. And they only have 12 months warranty!! Tread your own path on this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DP130-1...649919?hash=item4204fed07f:g:6o8AAOSwfztbY8gS

Reactions: Chriso100

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Go to your local Battery shop and buy a 120ah that has a 12 or 24 mth warranty, one that suits the budget, brand means nothing really but if you can walk in for a warranty claim and drop it on the bench thats better than mail....most batteries fail because of user ignorance not brand...

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
I'm churning to the idea that battery name does indeed mean bugger all. Especially in the lithium circle now. Sure, they might have super powered bms's in them, but the componentry is pretty much the same.
Why pay $2000+ for a Victron or Enerdrive lithium when you can get one for sub $1000 that with the right setup, will do exactly the same thing day in day out. And like @Drover said, if they'll honour the warranty they supply with the sale, than even better.

Think Low Energy Developments in Preston will get my business. 10 minutes away so any issues I have can be sorted promptly and more and more people across multiple forum groups are praising them.

Reactions: mikerezny

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'm churning to the idea that battery name does indeed mean bugger all. Especially in the lithium circle now. Sure, they might have super powered bms's in them, but the componentry is pretty much the same.
Why pay $2000+ for a Victron or Enerdrive lithium when you can get one for sub $1000 that with the right setup, will do exactly the same thing day in day out. And like @Drover said, if they'll honour the warranty they supply with the sale, than even better.

Think Low Energy Developments in Preston will get my business. 10 minutes away so any issues I have can be sorted promptly and more and more people across multiple forum groups are praising them.
I was at the Mornington caravan show a few months back. Spoke to the dude that owns Lithium Lab in Williamstown. I know nothing about lithium nor is he my mates mate, but he was quite easy to talk to and seemed to be all over it, and was good for some interesting info re charging etc. I have no allegiance, but he was convincing enough for me to their details ... I rarely keep details. Maybe worth a chat

Lithium Lab
1300 884 982
0411 520 920

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nah , a 200ah job to test out, instead of the 10yr life one that lasts for 5 would do, if I like Ill buy a proper 400ah job...I promise...

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,

It might probably be simpler and more cost-effective if one could economically buy a 2kva generator that was completely silent with a load-driven automatic start.
I remember seeing one many many years ago fitted to a luxurious motorhome (Winnebago?) mounted in one of the side hatches.
From memory, I could not hear or feel it running from inside the van.

take care
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My Honda 2kva is, soon as I take my hearing aids out it doesn't make a sound, have to touch it to feel the vibration.................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,

It might probably be simpler and more cost-effective if one could economically buy a 2kva generator that was completely silent with a load-driven automatic start.
I remember seeing one many many years ago fitted to a luxurious motorhome (Winnebago?) mounted in one of the side hatches.
From memory, I could not hear or feel it running from inside the van.

take care
Mike
Some of the cheap Chinese roulette style generators, you know where you spin the big wheel to see if it will start today, have a remote control starter. The genset wont automatically start up when you push the toaster down, but if you put the remote on top of a block of cheese and position it under the toaster push slide, the slide handle could hit the remote button on top of the cheese and kinda do the same thing.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They did, they had those little tiny wax sauce cups like the product ambassadors at the Supermarket, each full to the brim with solar energy. Only one each tho ya greedy buggers

So thats why you didn't get any for your mates eh !! @Bluey and I would have liked some sunshine in a cup, though moonshine would be okay....:chuncky::chuncky: ... actually moon:biggrin-new::biggrin:shine be better......

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181

Chriso100

Apr 26, 2020
Rosebud Victoria
Hey all Thanks to all the advice and help I have received from you guys on this forum, I have installed a battery and connected to the setec. Lighting now works off the battery and I’ve upgraded the bulbs to LED. For the life of me, I cant get the fridge to work off the battery? Should it work off the battery, or only 240v and gas???

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Hey all Thanks to all the advice and help I have received from you guys on this forum, I have installed a battery and connected to the setec. Lighting now works off the battery and I’ve upgraded the bulbs to LED. For the life of me, I cant get the fridge to work off the battery? Should it work off the battery, or only 240v and gas???
240V and gas. The control circuit board works off 12V DC provided by the battery direct or the setec when 240V AC connected. It never works from the caravan battery.
It may work off 12V DC while in transit if your tow vehicle is equipt to provide the power to the vans fridge.

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
240V and gas. The control circuit board works off 12V DC provided by the battery direct or the setec when 240V AC connected. It never works from the caravan battery.
It may work off 12V DC while in transit if your tow vehicle is equipt to provide the power to the vans fridge.[/QUOTE
To clarify the above, the fridge never works off the vans battery for cooling, only for control purposes.