16' Series How to remove canvas to replace fly screen

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
If you have the ends off you may as well do them all at once, it is actually easier to do if the flyscreen is intact, it is better to get the job done as soon as the flyscreen start deteriorating as the rest will follow soon after.
If the screen is still relatively intact you have a shape to work with and can just sew the replacement on the inside and then cut the old flywire out afterwards, when the old screen is cactus it is a pain to get the right shape.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
We have smal 6 in horizontal tear in our 2012 van and the quote was horrendous to replace the side fly wire. $. 600! $300 to remove it and replace it and $300 to replace fly screen. Rang Jayco in Perth they suggested it be welded. It's actually plastic. He says they repair traded vans this way. A piece is cut out to fit whole area and heat welded it. A few caravan places offer this service. Meanwhile I have darned the area using nylon thread and the put clear nail varnish over it. When it's bad enough we will replace. Sounds like yours is quite big.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Emma B you should try Ken Peachy in Maddington. Jayco says he patches. Also give Jayco a call. They are very helpful. The Wangara canvas place was were we got our ridiculous quote.

Reactions: bigcol

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I would have thought about $3-350 for that job, for a 2012 probably worth the weld job, but anything much older is probably cracking from sun damage not tearing so would be better to replace.
Using nail varnish creates it's own problem as it makes the repair stiff and prone to cracking.
That price of $300 to replace the screen, did you ask that it be done like the original so you cannot tell it was ever replaced, if so that was probably a fair price as you would need to unpick a lot of seams and just about take that whole side panel apart and sew it back together again.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Since my screens have virtually self destructed on this trip I will probably do a "How To" sometime around Xmas when I get back home, the side one's have just fell to bits and my idea is to make new ones that velcro on to the canvass but not looking forward to removing the canvass as that metal panel looks like it could get a bit bent in the process.

Good to hear from you again @Drover . Looking forward to more of your "GEMS" on how to near Christmas. Stay safe.

Reactions: bigcol