16' Series How to remove canvas to replace fly screen

EmmaB

Oct 25, 2015
Wa
We are about to buy a 2008 expanda it has a big tear all along the bed end in the flyscreen above the stitches where it joins to the canvas. A local sail maker says he can fix and replace the flyscreen if we can get the bed end canvas off the caravan so that he can get it into his machine. Does anyone know how to do this?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome to the forum @EmmaB

lots of very knowledgeable people should be along soonish to help with your question

while you wait, would you like to pop up an intro about yourself & family & etc............. just helps if we know a little about you, your tug, your Van, your camping etc

EmmaB

Oct 25, 2015
Wa
Thanks for your reply so far we are first time caravanas with a toddler. We went to look at a Jayco Swan camper trailer first but our toddler fell out the bed end as the bed end hadn't been properly velcro'd that was enough for us to decide we wanted an expanda. All secure inside and so much room! We are nervous to offer on one with such a big split in the flyscreen otherwise it's perfect. It's got soft top bed ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @EmmaB welcome to the forum and to the world of caravanning. Its a lifestyle choice youll love, especially with kids. As for the bed end screen, I would suggest a substantial discount for the effort to repair, but its not a difficult job. I can only comment on the 2009 hard lid version, but I suspect the soft lid might be similar.

Not sure what other members think of this clanger, but if i had to repair my fly screens I would also consider a shade mesh style replacment which also gives some built in privacy.

Anyway, on the hardlid version its easier to remove the hardlid first for access. The base of the tent section is screwed on which youll see. The top and sides of the tent section has a 10mm x around 3mm strip of rubber sewn along its edge; the fabric folded over the the rubber and then just pushed into a "C" channel around the frame.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
how much did the Sail Maker quote to repair.............
how much cheaper is the Van because of the required damage

(they really are easy to remove, more time consuming and fiddly I think)

you have Wa as a location
perth
north south east...............

there are quite a few people who can and do canvas repairs,
just depends on where you are, how much travelling you want to do, what sort of price being asked etc

perhaps take a photo, and send through to @crustt he makes some nice things for the Expanda's.............

Reactions: EmmaB

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Taking the bed ends off is a very basic job as crusty said just push it back into the "C" channel.

I would get it replace with 50% shade cloth, go for a light colour , imo the black makes the van to dark.

I be wanting at least $1000 off , the fact the seller has not got it fixed before selling says a bit about how the van has been treated, if you have to fix it, you need to be rewarded for your effort.

Buyers market.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
This was the 50% shade cloth replacement on our soft top. IMAG0599 (1).jpg IMAG0600.jpg

EmmaB

Oct 25, 2015
Wa
Shade cloth great idea we are in WA can you help @crustt also need advice re my latest post. Could buying a van with a toolbox invalidate insurance or road handling capability as it changes the length and weight of van? Many thanks everyone

EmmaB

Oct 25, 2015
Wa
how much did the Sail Maker quote to repair.............
how much cheaper is the Van because of the required damage

(they really are easy to remove, more time consuming and fiddly I think)

you have Wa as a location
perth
north south east...............

there are quite a few people who can and do canvas repairs,
just depends on where you are, how much travelling you want to do, what sort of price being asked etc

perhaps take a photo, and send through to @crustt he makes some nice things for the Expanda's.............
We are in ocean reef! you are in the swan? Seriously thinking we will buy the van as the rest looks great and get someone to repair/replace the bed end flyscreen with shade cloth. We asked a caravan place and they said 400-500. We asked a sail maker (mu hubby windsurfs) he said no problem but we would need to get the canvas to him which I am nervous about, will we be able to get it off ok. Without sounding paranoid (big investment for us) our next issue is the custom made tool box could this change the weight and length (its on the back) and therefore invalidate insurance?? Any opinions from those in the know would be much appreciated...many thanks :)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I'm in vicco so I can't help you, , 4 to 500 is an okay price for doing the whole job, so I would say you may be in front.It really isn't a big job , once you take it off , you'll see how it goes back on.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@EmmaB the WA crowd are heading down to Big Valley Campsite - other side or Margaret River this weekend
( @dagree , @Smirke , @burnsie & not sure if @meandher (a frost) is in Germany fighting the good fight, or on R&R in Brussels)

so we will be thin on the replies maybe

as said in other post
the box should be ok, but if not we can get it modified.................

there is a caravan repair place in Wangara, one in Maddington, as well as various other places that can and do, do canvas work
I have some friends over on Gt Northern Hwy in Midland - Hayway Hire and Camping - they do repairs & custom work

anything and everything can always be sorted..............

never fear, we are all here

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Guys, my apologies. Me, her and the remaining pungent pooch ( the other one is quietly feeding the lemon tree from 450mm below the roots)will not be present at this weekend's, hopefully, un-rain affected, but probably very much beer enhanced gabfest. Having weighed up the fact that I could not get away early enough on Friday to miss the freeway follies that is peak time Perth these days and have way too much crap going on mit ze Chermans to take a Monday off, we decided that dragging the 'van all that way for such a short weekend jaunt would be too much of a hassle. Shame, haven't been down that way for a while.

Have fun.....

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since my screens have virtually self destructed on this trip I will probably do a "How To" sometime around Xmas when I get back home, the side one's have just fell to bits and my idea is to make new ones that velcro on to the canvass but not looking forward to removing the canvass as that metal panel looks like it could get a bit bent in the process.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Since my screens have virtually self destructed on this trip I will probably do a "How To" sometime around Xmas when I get back home, the side one's have just fell to bits and my idea is to make new ones that velcro on to the canvass but not looking forward to removing the canvass as that metal panel looks like it could get a bit bent in the process.
Drover , you might want to think about the velcro'd screens idea. As the bed ends have to have a reasonable amount of tension to stay in shape and for the water to run off successfully, velcro may not be up to the job, when you unzip the inside flaps the velcro will be taking all that tension and most likely separate and if that is not a problem then when sleeping in a warmer climate with the flaps unzipped and roll against the screen or push it with a wayward foot or elbow you'll separate the velcro.
Installing them and getting them to sit right would be a right PITA , You will need a decent sewing machine to attempt this (walk foot) other wise it is one of those mods that might devalue your rig.

Just a thew things to take into consideration before you go ahead.:)

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Damn @crustt , that sounds about right, oh well back to plan A, sew the 50% shade onto the canvas..........but then looking at it with the screen all chewed up there's no tension anywhere on the side screens more so on the rear one which is holding up well but the Velcro would eventually be a pain.........

Reactions: bigcol