How Old Is That Tow Rig In The Window?

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
I think we had about 200K on our patrol when we sold it. It was almost 8 years old.

Only reason for sale was to eliminate potential future R & Mcosts and because our Vic trip was only 15 days with client visits all on particular days we couldn't afford (time wise) for potential delays.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I think we had about 200K on our patrol when we sold it. It was almost 8 years old.

Only reason for sale was to eliminate potential future R & Mcosts and because our Vic trip was only 15 days with client visits all on particular days we couldn't afford (time wise) for potential delays.

Yep that is one of my other main concerns....

I know the potential issues with the Triton but I am concerned if anything goes on the pathfinder the cost of repair will potentially far outweigh the cost of upgrading.

When we had the break down earlier in the year it sounded like a busted turbo and I was preparing myself for a 1.5k bill to replace the turbo luckily it was just a pipe but had it been the turbo it would not have been fun at the start of your holiday having to potentially pay for that.

The triton has a 5 year warranty so I am protected if something does go wrong understanding that obviously there are some lemons out there and yes I would prefer a Navara or Mazda BT but $$$ wise for me it just doesn't make sense as I just want to pull my van along and hit a few tracks.

I am fairly pushed to upgrading the pathfinder and I know 100% its not the same vehicle as the pathfinder but I do want to invest in something I can keep for a long time and have some security in the form of a warranty should things go pear shaped.

In terms of power the new 2.5 Triton is pretty good bang for buck on paper -

Triton -

Power 131kW @ 4000rpm
Torque 350Nm @ 2000rpm
Gross Combination Mass 5700kg
Gross Vehicle Mass 2900kg
Pay Load 973kg

Pathfinder -

Power 128kW @ 4000rpm
Torque 403Nm @ 2000rpm
Gross Combination Mass 5880kg
Gross Vehicle Mass 2880kg
Pay Load 670kg

If the trade off is not as good a feel as a pathfinder and pontentially getting a lemon I am prepared to accept that as a risk and mitigate it with warranty and jewellery.

Not sold 100% but nearly there.....

Thanks for the comments everyone it is appreciated!

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Once you've gathered all the information you need.... Really, who cares what everyone else thinks... as long as you're happy with your decision when you make it. If you're at all concerned, make sure you talk to the dealer..... maybe you could get something writen into the contract about having a borrow car in the first 2 years should there be warranty work needing to be undertaken???

Reactions: pace9908

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Once you've gathered all the information you need.... Really, who cares what everyone else thinks... as long as you're happy with your decision when you make it. If you're at all concerned, make sure you talk to the dealer..... maybe you could get something writen into the contract about having a borrow car in the first 2 years should there be warranty work needing to be undertaken???

Yep good point!!!

Just trying to justify to MrsExpanda the upgrade costs so taking notes and names and when questioned providing them as evidence :) lol....

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
My mate has a triton, never had an issue in 4 years. I am driving a challenger, which is basically a triton, bought it off my brother he had it in for warrenty repairs 5 times for an airbag fault, they finally sent it off site to an auto elec and hasnt had an issue since, I still get a little nervous till it goes out on start up, but I have 2 1/2 years left of warrenty so not that concerned. I would have never looked at the mitsi except I got it at a price i couldnt refuse and am really happy with it. Towed the disco really well. The ten year drive train warrenty doesnt transfer when first buyer sells but. My brother bought a 2013 one, he needed the 3k tow limit, my 2010 only has 2.5k

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
On the bright side expanda, the warrenty issues have been fixed without question and no real issues with dealing with Mitsubishi, main issue has been down time for the repairs, with some parts taking up to 6 weeks to come from Japan.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We had a 100 series cruiser on gas with 255k and started to have a few little issues and contemplating big trip up to the gold coast later this year didnt want to plan it all then have car probs so updated to the glxr.Took it to warrnambool on the weekend 12-14 lp100 our best figures yet at 95-100k.The torque figures on mine is 400nm its a manual are you looking at a auto?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
We had a 100 series cruiser on gas with 255k and started to have a few little issues and contemplating big trip up to the gold coast later this year didnt want to plan it all then have car probs so updated to the glxr.Took it to warrnambool on the weekend 12-14 lp100 our best figures yet at 95-100k.The torque figures on mine is 400nm its a manual are you looking at a auto?

Yep will go an auto definetly....

I can drive both but MrsExpadna only auto :becky:

For the sake of 50nm its not a big deal personally!

We will probably being doing it early in 2014 if we do it so will look for a run out 2013 model with the improved seats etc.

Just doing all the sums now in terms of towing capacity.

Does the triton have a reduced payload rating depending on towing weight / ball weight like the pathfinders?

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
There you go, they really are cheap. Surprised they don't out sell the Hilux and Navara... But as you said Cheap for a reason. That sort of money is 2wd auto ST D40, not the 4wd...

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Yep will go an auto definetly....

I can drive both but MrsExpadna only auto :becky:

For the sake of 50nm its not a big deal personally!

We will probably being doing it early in 2014 if we do it so will look for a run out 2013 model with the improved seats etc.

Just doing all the sums now in terms of towing capacity.

Does the triton have a reduced payload rating depending on towing weight / ball weight like the pathfinders?
I cant remember about the reduced payload i dont think they have.We were well under so i wasn`t too concerned.I remember seeing the Paj dropped its ball weight weight from 250 to 180 at 2500kg i think.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I still have the brochures at home with all the figures i will check but probably not till tommorrow night as i am going out cutting wood in the morning before work ok.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I still have the brochures at home with all the figures i will check but probably not till tommorrow night as i am going out cutting wood in the morning before work ok.

Cheers mate I just downloaded the brochure from the website and there is no mention of towing reduction at all....

Means my arm is pretty much twisted I have been doing the sums of what I will want to carry with it and its well over the pathfinder capacity.

Family of 4 = 250kg’s
Tank of diesel = 75kg’s
Boat + Loader = 100kg’s
BBQ = 25kg
Boat Trailer = 38kg’s
Fridge = 20kg’s
Bull Bar = 75kg’s
Tow ball weight of caravan = 160kg’s
Luggage = 100kg’s
Canopy = 50kg’s

Total = 893kg

Reactions: skippy

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well said Andrea I agree.

As it looks like you have been doing your homework Expanda maybe take a few different ones for a drive too and see what you think :car:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Cheers mate I just downloaded the brochure from the website and there is no mention of towing reduction at all....

Means my arm is pretty much twisted I have been doing the sums of what I will want to carry with it and its well over the pathfinder capacity.

Family of 4 = 250kg’s
Tank of diesel = 75kg’s
Boat + Loader = 100kg’s
BBQ = 25kg
Boat Trailer = 38kg’s
Fridge = 20kg’s
Bull Bar = 75kg’s
Tow ball weight of caravan = 160kg’s
Luggage = 100kg’s
Canopy = 50kg’s

Total = 893kg
and no mention of BEER!

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
and no mention of BEER!
Thats gold 17triton:drum:
Are you upgrading the car before the van or the other way around?
Depends if the Pajero sells first or not - before new van arrives. But I will try and get one second hand probably one year old or so.
I also know a company that has 6 of these Tritons for work cars and there quite happy with theirs. So I know there are knockers out there but I am happy from what I have heard about them from other owners.

Buy the way

Love that car :bounce:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
and no mention of BEER!

Beer = Single Malt Whiskey = Covered in luggage figures :)!

They`ve dropped the drivetrain warranty from 10 to 5 years as well havent they?

Yep doesn't mention it anywhere on the mitsubishi page -

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/shopping-tools/warranty
Thats gold 17triton:drum:

Depends if the Pajero sells first or not - before new van arrives. But I will try and get one second hand probably one year old or so.
I also know a company that has 6 of these Tritons for work cars and there quite happy with theirs. So I know there are knockers out there but I am happy from what I have heard about them from other owners.

Buy the way

Love that car :bounce:

Good to here let us know how you get along and when you get yours!!!!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We have various Tritions at work, the most recent a current 4x4 dual cab that our workshop manger drives, I've driven the 2wd on several occasions and was surprised how well they ride for a ute when unladen, They did mention a little bit of turbo lag between lower gears (manual) but overall haven't heard of any issue with them.

Actually we have one there that would be pushing 30 years old (the old sigma motor) yep it's been rebuilt a few times but has almost 400k on the clock, it just a hak that the mechanics use to run around in these days, its had a flooging over the years but still goes "JUST"

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep the 10yr warranty is gone now, still I would think 5 is still fair and well ahead of some competition. MMA seem to be doing deals at the moment, I have read of people getting VrX Paj's for $54k and others well under $50k drive away! So it might pay to strike sooner than 2014 if you can, lots can change either way.