How Old Is That Tow Rig In The Window?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all,

Well the Pathfinder is getting up there in terms of K's near 200k.

I want to put some jewellery on her to but thinking she might be time for a comeplete change vs a make over.

How old is your tow rig and when do you change rig vs jewellry?

Cheers all....

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I changed our last 4b at about 185K when it started using more oil than fuel, plus it was a bit thirsty towing!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi all,

Well the Pathfinder is getting up there in terms of K's near 200k.

I want to put some jewellery on her to but thinking she might be time for a comeplete change vs a make over.

How old is your tow rig and when do you change rig vs jewellry?

Cheers all....
If you've looked after her, she should still be giving you reasonable figures and could run to 400k-500k. Unless you see a really good deal on a pre-loved 550 maybe and still get some reasonable $'s trade-in. Mine's doing fine at 205k.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
If you've looked after her, she should still be giving you reasonable figures and could run to 400k-500k. Unless you see a really good deal on a pre-loved 550 maybe and still get some reasonable $'s trade-in. Mine's doing fine at 205k.

Cheers for that, been looking at Tritons they are giving them away at the moment.

Lets not get into why they are giving them away lol we have done that thread....

Definitely get good figures from the pathy in terms of fuel and power but I only get 400km's to a tank when towing this is sort of where it started.

400km's is good for towing a 2+ tonne van in my books but its does mean quite a few stops between here and say cairns.

Sure could just get a jerry can and stick that on the expanda but I thought I could get an extra tank to get that few extra hundred miles but alas the only fuel tanks for pathfinders require moving the spare to the rear.

Not to bad but the kaymar rear bar is 3k and the tank is 1k so 4k for an extra tank I could just forgot that and go for the $50 jerry can and save some coin.

I then wanted to chuck some new suspension in it springs and shockies and that was about another 1k .

Then was looking at a bull bar + spotties so it was getting up there in cost.

I have been doing a bit more 4wd'ing and have had a few mishaps so want to get it to a point where I feel safe tackling a track on my own so at a minimum I need suspension, bull bar, spotties and tyres.

But for the same dollars + selling the pathy I could be in a new triton with 5 year warranty and start again.

The pathy though has about an extra 30kw's and more torque than the triton so it would be a somewhat backwards performance step but I am just worry how much longer is normal to keep it as most cars I have had are about 200k and below not much more.

In terms of performance the pathy is unreal, just took on the valley pass (Kangaroo Valley) which is a demon of a hill up and down and the pathy shot up it with van in tow and all 4 of us on board @ 50k's an hour and didn't blink so its still very happy.

So yes not over the pathfinder but just at a cross roads as to whether mod it and make it more favourable to off roading so I can actually get out of some sticky situations on my own or start a fresh :)!

But if I could get another 150 or so k's out of it which is another 3 years then the investment in off road gear would be fine and then I could hand it off to some one in the family as a first car if it was still going.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Just get the BT mate, you know you want too ;)

Just kidding, its a big call when you are at the cross roads. I've never had a Pathy or D40 so can't say from experience, but they seem to have a good reputation for longevity though they are on the thirsty side.

Maybe consider the uses of the car. The Triton would be handy as a ute and also the added bonus of a safe easy way to carry extra fuel in jerry cans in the back, no kaymar bar etc.

Good luck with your decisions:car:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
AAAHHHH whats wrong with ya my Pathie had 295k on the clock once she went it was the old style though V6, had 80k on it when I got it as stock bog standard, then the Jewelery got added, though she got a new engine, but that was due to a little miss adventure, but wont go there.

The PJ will be 4 this year (time flies) up to 115ks already, the jewelery started from day 1, it's longer termer at this stage.

Forget the Triton go the BT :p

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Just get the BT mate, you know you want too ;)

Just kidding, its a big call when you are at the cross roads. I've never had a Pathy or D40 so can't say from experience, but they seem to have a good reputation for longevity though they are on the thirsty side.

Maybe consider the uses of the car. The Triton would be handy as a ute and also the added bonus of a safe easy way to carry extra fuel in jerry cans in the back, no kaymar bar etc.

Good luck with your decisions:car:

Hahaha unfortunately the bank balance only stretches to a give away 4by like a triton :)!!

Yes the fuel is the biggest issue as we have the boat loader and fuel going back on shortly so want a safe spot to store all things boat related that is seperate from the passenger compartment but does it really mean selling the pathy :) and starting again.

The triton certainly ticks all the boxes but the pathy can do the same as well its just extra nice to haves if you get what mean :)!

AAAHHHH whats wrong with ya my Pathie had 295k on the clock once she went it was the old style though V6, had 80k on it when I got it as stock bog standard, then the Jewelery got added,

The PJ will be 4 this year (time flies) up to 115ks already, the jewelery started from day 1, it's longer termer at this stage.

Forget the Triton go the BT :p

Haha nah no BT for me I am not able to afford those expensive toys with all that bling!!!!!

Your'e certainly not making the decision any easier :)....

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Our pathie has about 150K on the clock and I am starting to feel the opposite expanda.
On the trip up to Yackandandah I was on the Hume and went to pass a semi. I got the van easily up beside the truck but there was not enough power to break through that wind vortex that the truck was creating.
I could not believe it.

I have seen that hill in Kangaroo Valley and these days I am not sure if the car would get up at 50km or if it got to 10km before the car overheated.
How much does your temperature gauge move on yours?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Our pathie has about 150K on the clock and I am starting to feel the opposite expanda.
On the trip up to Yackandandah I was on the Hume and went to pass a semi. I got the van easily up beside the truck but there was not enough power to break through that wind vortex that the truck was creating.
I could not believe it.

I have seen that hill in Kangaroo Valley and these days I am not sure if the car would get up at 50km or if it got to 10km before the car overheated.
How much does your temperature gauge move on yours?

Doesn't move a millimetre on the temp gauge even going up the valley pass althought it was a cold day but coming back from QLD in Jan there are some big hills on the F3 and it was hot then and it didn't budge either.

So your getting a triton to :)??

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I too have been looking at Triton's and for the price and what payload they have for 2010 onwards why wouldn't ya not buy one.
I would love a BT50 or Ranger but yet the price gets me every time and I keep on coming back to the Triton.
I think I am swaying for the Triton at this stage.

Love That Car

Skip

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
After the 2 tritons I got for a couple of my guys at work, wouldn't touch them again, both have had multitudes of problems from delivery, latest issues are thy have both blown the exhaust manifolds off the side of the motor, both have had turbos replaced and electrical gremlins. All problems have/are being fixed under warranty, however, it is costing me a fortune in hire cars while the problems get sorted.

IMHO, hang the bling on the pathy and keep enjoying it or a few more years.

cheers

Cracka

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Go a D40. They look better than a BT and they are pretty cheap, similar to Triton and you will have more power than the Pathy does and still be in familiar territory.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I too have been looking at Triton's and for the price and what payload they have for 2010 onwards why wouldn't ya not buy one.
I would love a BT50 or Ranger but yet the price gets me every time and I keep on coming back to the Triton.
I think I am swaying for the Triton at this stage.

Love That Car

Skip

Yes the price is very good for the base model and then adding all jewellery it could be a good deal getting a run out or similar.

Are you upgrading the car before the van or the other way around?

Alas, not enough seats. Unless I do national lampoons ride grandma on the roof style it ain't happening. :)

Lol and here i thought you where putting one of them in the tray :)!!!

Probably wouldn't go down to well at my place though!!!

After the 2 tritons I got for a couple of my guys at work, wouldn't touch them again, both have had multitudes of problems from delivery, latest issues are thy have both blown the exhaust manifolds off the side of the motor, both have had turbos replaced and electrical gremlins. All problems have/are being fixed under warranty, however, it is costing me a fortune in hire cars while the problems get sorted.

IMHO, hang the bling on the pathy and keep enjoying it or a few more years.

cheers

Cracka

Hey cracka I have read about your problems just wondering with the amount of problems you have had did you approach the "Not Fit For Purpose" route and possibly go them for a refund considering the amount of issues or at least some form of compensation?

It just sounds unfair to you how many troubles you have had and I am just wondering how you have been treated by them?

Go a D40. They look better than a BT and they are pretty cheap, similar to Triton and you will have more power than the Pathy does and still be in familiar territory.

Would love a D40 but the price is just to much its nearly 10k more for the base D40 compared to the top of the line triton.

For that 10k I could get the base model triton, add a canopy + bar + spotties + new tyres and still have change for a new boat motor.

But yes the D40 is a very nice rig just not in the dollar range for me unfortunately as I want to spend the least amount possible.

I know that not always does cheap mean you get the best and I am prepared for some sacrifices but really its just a 4by and towing rig so should be fine.

That is if I go the route of the triton or bling for the pathy....

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Which D40 are you looking at. The Top Triton i thought was around the 40k mark.

The ST would be the base model I would get as I don't like the RX one bit :)!!

Navara (Some of these are ABN prices but seems about the norm)

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/nissan-navara-2012-14635849?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=23&page=2&eapi=2&__N=1246 1252 1247 1282 4294963846 4294963186 1216 1621 55 4294696630&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:2012,Max&sort=~Price

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/nissan-navara-2012-13033699?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=29&page=3&eapi=2&__N=1246 1252 1247 1282 4294963846 4294963186 1216 1621 55 4294696630&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:2012,Max&sort=~Price

Triton (Drive Away NO ABN Required)

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/mitsubishi-triton-2013-14664663?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=2&eapi=2&__N=1246 1252 1247 1282 1216 1621&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:2012,Max&items=[Make:MITSUBISHI,Model:TRITON,BaseEnabledBadge:GLX DOUBLE CAB]&sort=default

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/mitsubishi-triton-2013-14585389?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=4&eapi=2&__N=1246 1252 1247 1282 1216 1621 4294696630&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:2012,Max&items=[Make:MITSUBISHI,Model:TRITON,BaseEnabledBadge:GLX DOUBLE CAB]&sort=default

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/mitsubishi-triton-2012-14506403?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=11&eapi=2&__N=1246 1252 1247 1282 1216 1621 4294696630&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:2012,Max&items=[Make:MITSUBISHI,Model:TRITON,BaseEnabledBadge:GLX DOUBLE CAB]&sort=default