How Old Is That Tow Rig In The Window?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yep the 10yr warranty is gone now, still I would think 5 is still fair and well ahead of some competition. MMA seem to be doing deals at the moment, I have read of people getting VrX Paj's for $54k and others well under $50k drive away! So it might pay to strike sooner than 2014 if you can, lots can change either way.

Yep we won't be doing it till 2014 anywhich way we look at it so can only hope not much changes.

But MMA did state the tritons where being made cheaper to compete and the price is set for the VRX s@ 39,990 so even it goes up 1k or so its not a big deal :)!!!

But want to start the planning now so I can have all the mods lined up!

Starting with the canopy looking at this -

http://steelcanopy.com.au/triton.html

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
My Farther-law has one of those canopies. They are far more superior that the Mitsubishi ones. Central locking too, not cheap though I think there over $2100 from memory.

I have been looking at these two but the $$$ scares be a bit though

Skip

The standard arb ones are about 2700 - 3k by the time its painted + fitted the steel ones are about 3.1k installed with roof racks so not much difference :)!

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Good stuff expanda, looks like you have done your research. There is nothing quite like a new car!

After doing the whole weights thing ourselves recently, here are a few things you might want to take into your weight considerations.......

-20kg for fridge, I assume that is without food?
-Other accessories that you might add - 2nd battery, driving lights, uhf, brake controller etc and the associated wiring.....it adds up quickly!
-Tools
-4wd recovery gear
-Towbar is not normally included in kerb weight
-50kg for a steel canopy might be rather conservative, I allowed 75kg for our EGR plastic one.
-Will you do a suspension upgrade, this can add weight (16kgs in our case)
-Any spare water, fuel or camp gear that may travel in the back of the ute?
-Is 100kg enough for luggage AND Beer AND whisky??!!:p

Haven't had ours over a weighbridge, but according to my numbers our BT fully loaded will come in around the 3100kgs :o

Cheers
Millsy

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Good stuff expanda, looks like you have done your research. There is nothing quite like a new car!

After doing the whole weights thing ourselves recently, here are a few things you might want to take into your weight considerations.......

-20kg for fridge, I assume that is without food?
-Other accessories that you might add - 2nd battery, driving lights, uhf, brake controller etc and the associated wiring.....it adds up quickly!
-Tools
-4wd recovery gear
-Towbar is not normally included in kerb weight
-50kg for a steel canopy might be rather conservative, I allowed 75kg for our EGR plastic one.
-Will you do a suspension upgrade, this can add weight (16kgs in our case)
-Any spare water, fuel or camp gear that may travel in the back of the ute?
-Is 100kg enough for luggage AND Beer AND whisky??!!:p

Haven't had ours over a weighbridge, but according to my numbers our BT fully loaded will come in around the 3100kgs :o

Cheers
Millsy

Yep definetly some extra things in there...

I need to get on the treadmill I think before I purchase to shave the 250kg's down to about 200kg's.

The steel canopy is only 80kg's :)!!!

The fridge is only a small one for drinks not a big one but yes the other items are certainly not on the list!!!!

Thanks for the heads up....

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
I need to get on the treadmill I think before I purchase to shave the 250kg's down to about 200kg's.

The steel canopy is only 80kg's :)!!!

The fridge is only a small one for drinks not a big one but yes the other items are certainly not on the list!!!!

Thanks for the heads up....

Don't panic buddy, we are up near 250kg for myself, the missus and the dog. Let me clarify that a bit by saying that a large majority of that weight is myself and the dog!!:o

Wow, 80kg is lighter than I would have expected for a steel canopy! Maybe 75kg is overs for the plastic one. Oh well, better over than under estimated.

Glad to help mate.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Don't panic buddy, we are up near 250kg for myself, the missus and the dog. Let me clarify that a bit by saying that a large majority of that weight is myself and the dog!!:o

Wow, 80kg is lighter than I would have expected!

Glad to help mate.

I think the figures can be a bit fluffed possibly from what they state to what they actually are if you chucked them on the scales :)!!!

I am now digging the treadmill out in prepation I mean the less weight the passengers are the more I can dedicate to whiskey so really its a win win.

I just have to keep reminding myself that after the whiskey is consumed I need to get back on the treadmill!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
don't forget the ads on telly about the guys with egg on his face, or that hes a clown, or water on the brain or whatever.
Great Wall has now sold a whopping 30000 cars and they have their lovely ute thing and ...
ummm...
4wd...
and...
ummm

never mind. I just can't bring myself to finish this post

Reactions: skippy

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
don't forget the ads on telly about the guys with egg on his face, or that hes a clown, or water on the brain or whatever.
Great Wall has now sold a whopping 30000 cars and they have their lovely ute thing and ...
ummm...
4wd...
and...
ummm

never mind. I just can't bring myself to finish this post

Trading the Landy on a Great Wall???

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I think the figures can be a bit fluffed possibly from what they state to what they actually are if you chucked them on the scales :)!!!

I am now digging the treadmill out in prepation I mean the less weight the passengers are the more I can dedicate to whiskey so really its a win win.

I just have to keep reminding myself that after the whiskey is consumed I need to get back on the treadmill!
As long as you can still run in a straight line :drunk:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey expanda, with the Triton GXLR probaly close to $35-36k onroad now (after haggling & cash back), gotta wonder if theres going to be a better time?

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/shopping-tools/special-offers/detail/380/968

triton offer.jpg

Reactions: skippy and expanda

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
is that right?????? Aren't the GLX-Rs normally around $52K

Even the GLX is listed as $31K and normally over $40K
And the Paj's are $10k less than normal
:jaw: