18' Series Hello & thank you.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
photo.JPG
We're Jayco converts from way back having previously owned a Swan and Flamingo OB. Wife and I made mistake of stopping outside Prestige Jayco in Geelong on the way home from our summer holidays, and fell in love with an 11/2008 Expanda with slide out lounge (18.57-7). Within a couple of weeks our 09 Flamingo was on consignment and the kids inheritance invested before they got power of attorney.
Then we discovered the Forum and realised we weren't the first to let heart rule head. Van was already well optioned and I had Prestige instal 240w of solar panels and extra battery. So far wants for nothing, but plan to go under-slung shortly for a little more clearance and eventually add a rear camera. Tows beautifully behind our 2005 Pathfinder ST-L turbo diesel (with airbags) and is a breeze to set up quickly. Have to remember to look for BIG RIG friendly parks, but with all lights now LED's, free camping is a breeze. Looking forward to sharing our experiences and advice with others.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi and welcome. Sounds like you have a wealth of experience to share. Looking forward to more stories.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome Xpandafan. As Relgate says, we will look forward to reading about your travels and experiences which hopefully will be well illustrated. :biggrin:

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
View attachment 8976
Have to remember to look for BIG RIG friendly parks, but with all lights now LED's, free camping is a breeze. Looking forward to sharing our experiences and advice with others.

Hi Xpandafan,
Did you get LED's in all lights out of the factory? I have just ordered a Expanda and had resigned myself to replacing the main lights with LED's when it arrives.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Holden_man. No my (2008) van came with incandescents. Maybe yours will have some, though – Jayco will catch up eventually. It's no drama at all swapping to them though. You can buy on eBay or online from places such as Bright Light Autoparts – just check what type of globe (i.e. T10, festoon or downlight) as Jayco often give you a mix. As well as negligible power consumption, they are cool. We spend six weeks in the van in summer on an unpowered site (and even in Victoria it's quite warm) and incandescents are like radiators. Some of your big Qld van and motorhome companies probably have a range of leds. They pay for themselves in the long run.
The light at the door gets really hot, but by switching to an led, the problem is solved and you can leave it on all night as a security light if needed.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks cruza driver. Lots to enjoy. Rig certainly turns a few heads. The slide-out does make it very liveable. Quite a change from having to set up a full annexe, assemble camp wardrobe, cupboard, etc. for extended stays. We loved the Flamingo OB but only missed it for the two weeks between dropping it off on consignment and picking up the Expanda. I like your rig too (and the shocker guards). Nice to have an en-suite isn't it? Only people who think they are an extravagance are the folk that don't have 'em.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Thanks for that, I took a punt and purchased of Ebay today a 36 led panel in cool white and one in warm white, (2 months before the van arrives, nothing like getting in early) Not sure which one I will like so bought 1 of each.
But i thought from your post if it comes with LED's in the van, how am I going to explain to the Boss I spent $4 on LED's. she'll kill me....:boxing:

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
She'll be too busy with the important things to notice (hopefully). My wife was into the bedspreads and cushions. Experiment with cool and warm and different sizes. I took a few years of experimenting thru our Swan and Flamingo OB. This is what the front bed end looks like at night (no flash). With ALL the lights on it's like a Xmas tree.

P4070016.JPG

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks cruza driver. I like your rig too (and the shocker guards). Nice to have an en-suite isn't it? Only people who think they are an extravagance are the folk that don't have 'em.

I think we will alwayd have an ensuite after having one in ours, its good for washing the dust off :cool:.
After going from an OB Hawk it was one luxury we wanted on the Expanda, besides all the other great things about Expandas