Just Browsing Have you ever weighed your van on a weigh bridge?

Have you weighed your van on a weigh bridge to check its ATM?

• Total voters

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
@Bmhdg76 umm where do i find the towbar compliance plate?

Ummm... Maybe try the tow bar.

If it's an after market fitment it should be on there, if factory fitted go back to the dealer if you can't find anything or check the vehicles manual.

Also keep in mind some manufacturers reduce your vehicles cargo capacity (thus GVM) for the more down load you put on the tow ball... This will be in the manual too if applicable.

This might help explain a few basic...
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/driving/towing/trailer__and__tow_vehicle_specifications_explained

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I haven't put mine over the weight bridge, never seem to find one open when in travel mode other than the RTA ones for the trucks. are you allowed in those?
I have weighed the ball with borrowed ball weight scales :o
My "tare" ball weight is stated at 150kg, no where near it, the only way they could have got 150kg is if it was weighed without the gas bottles and the spare, tare weight have to include spare and empty gas bottles.

Not sure about RTA but I stay away from TMR in Qld in case I'm well over loaded... I just use the local steel recycler's weigh bridge. They cant do separate axle loads but a gold coin donation and their happy to write down the numbers or cough up extra to have a certified document printed out.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Mine has never been over a weigh bridge. Only coz I've never found one open when I was there. I think from memory the ball weight on mine is 65 kilo.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
I haven't put mine over the weight bridge, never seem to find one open when in travel mode other than the RTA ones for the trucks. are you allowed in those?
I have weighed the ball with borrowed ball weight scales :o
My "tare" ball weight is stated at 150kg, no where near it, the only way they could have got 150kg is if it was weighed without the gas bottles and the spare, tare weight have to include spare and empty gas bottles.
Re: the tow ball weight, ours was exactly the same as you, way over what is stated. Have now moved the spare to the back and moved the water tank back further.

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
Spent a fruitful day in the van clearing out all the things I 'needed' in there!!! Amazing the s*$t you collect over the years! Drawers in the ute are next and then try to fit everything in we will need for a 6 month trip! Then ... off to weigh it all ... nothing like preparing early for next year:cheer2: Suppose it gives us time to cull more things! Plenty of storage in a 12 footer which can be quite detrimental to weights:bounce:

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
When we picked up our van in Adelaide I had previously arranged a temporary 3 month registration in the NT. This was issued on the proviso that it was checked at one of the Govt rego centres when back home. I was told that it wouldn't have to be weighed to do so. As we were passing right by the Alice Springs rego shed on the way back North it was easiest to do it there. Guess what, he wanted it weighed on their scales ( they have 2 sets there, light and heavy vehicle) behind the shed, which doubles as the scales for truck weighing. He only wanted the van weight but I asked if we could do the rest of it while he went inside to process. Van was quite OK but the ball weight was way over maximum van specs but under car limit. While it wasn't affecting the car overly much there has since been quite a bit of reorganising and ditching things to bring it back down.

Actually it was a good coincidence having it done in the Alice. The person inside who served me was someone I hadn't seen in 30+ years since I last worked down there.

Reactions: mfexpanda and DRW