Just Browsing Have you ever weighed your van on a weigh bridge?

Have you weighed your van on a weigh bridge to check its ATM?

• Total voters

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Just curious of the rough % of van owners who've actually weighed their vans and tow vehicles - fully loaded as you would when hitting the road.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I weighed mine when all loaded for Xmas holidays. It was as expected. I removed and weighed some of our gear so I had a reference for later trips. I also have a ball weight scale.
Dont know If I will be able to fit the 22 Starcraft on the weighbridge....

Reactions: Ligedy and achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I guess I'll go with the estimate answer? I have never weighted the van, but have the tug, and all the payload in the van. This time I am intending to check ball weight at the dealers and then drive straight around to the public weigh bridge from pick up to ensure I have every kilo of the 475kg payload available to me.

Reactions: Bmhdg76 and Ligedy

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Just did the ball weight this weekend after purchasing a towball scale on the weekend. Looking at taking it over a weighbridge on a day off.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
My tow ball mass was 300kg when I first got around to weighing it... 45kg over max and way over what I thought it would be.

Thought the towsafe might have been out so tested on two brand new Jaycos in the dealers yard and they were right on the empty ball mass.

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
We bought a scale on the weekend too ... and were a touch surprised by our weight - it was 160kg and most stuff was not even in the front box! We also dont have much scope to add weight further to the back

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I voted "No, not yet" because I haven't.
But then looking more closely I do remember at one point weighing the ball weight before I moved the spare to the rear and added a front box, and then again after it was all done, and it was pretty close to plated ball weight.

Then I noticed the "Waste of time/ my car has 3T plus tow capacity" option.
I could have also ticked that option.

I'm sooooooo confused.....

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I too could tick the last three boxes as well. My truck is rated at 3 Tonne but I have checked the ball weight (was heavier than I thought) but have not yet put the van on a weighbridge. :clock:

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I too could have ticked the don't care as my tug has a 3500 kg limit, but I didn't want the van over it's limit.
Mine has actually been over twice,once when loaded & it came out as way over the limit (100kg) so the next time I literally stripped the van back to factory & re weighed it, then weighed EVERYTHING before they went back in & recorded it on a spreadsheet.

It is surprising how all the little bits & pieces add up, so with the spreadsheet I can now easily prioritise what comes & what stays home or travels in the car to stay under the limit by simply moving the weight from one column to the next.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I weighed my towball weight with full tanks (gas and water) and it was way over the stated (and largely meaningless) max towball weight on the compliance plate.
After a call to Jayco I now have a new compliance plate with the same figures except for a much revised and more meaningful max towball weight. Be careful - The minimum tow ball weight is quite misleading when everything is included.
$70 buys you a towball scale.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I haven't put mine over the weight bridge, never seem to find one open when in travel mode other than the RTA ones for the trucks. are you allowed in those?
I have weighed the ball with borrowed ball weight scales :o
My "tare" ball weight is stated at 150kg, no where near it, the only way they could have got 150kg is if it was weighed without the gas bottles and the spare, tare weight have to include spare and empty gas bottles.