Grey Water Holding Tank

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
Hi All,

With the list of campsites growing that require grey water to be retained, has anyone fitted an extra tank to capture the grey water for later release?

During my last adventure retention of grey water was required, hence I simply used a 25L drum for collection, but would like a more permanent fix.

First thoughts were of fitting an ALKO 52L tank, mainly because it's only 330mm wide and would fit nicely underneath. I can't seem to find the same tanks that Jayco uses anywhere which would provide the 82L

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Glenn

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
G'day Guys,

A quick follow up. Fitted the Grey water tank (~90 Litres) today under the Expanda.

Tanks - Jayco 90L ~$99
Gal Steel Protection ~$15
25mm Tube ~$5
Connectors, Tap etc ~$30

Still have a non return valve to the shower to go, just to ensure no chance of water flowing back into the shower.. An easy mod, that is working well for the moment. Time will tell how the cleaning goes..

Grey Water Tank.jpg

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
I haven't fitted a tap to isolate the tank yet, but may do. Worst case, it will act as a buffer if it is not draining via the hose quick enough. Easy enough to fit if I find it's needed. I'm hoping I won't have to use it too much, but there are a couple of free camping sites that require it locally - hence the fit.
Keeping it clean / odour under control may be interesting.. Again time will tell, the one way valves should help out with that.

Now the hard part.. Getting away from work, and getting out and about..

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I am looking at a third tank now which latter if needed can be a grey water tank. Out of interest where did you find you needed it?

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Shadow - Hope you don't think this is a silly question.

How do you empty the tank?

Is it just pull the bung like on a water tank or is there a hose attachment? Do you need to pump it out?

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Hey guys,

Basically the grey water hose attaches to the where the old drain used to be, although slightly lower. Basic 25mm inline tap to drain, just behind the thread in the pic.

As for use, time will tell, supposedly some of the National Parks are heading towards self contained.. Only a small amount of weight for the option..

Plan to do a lot of camping at National Parks, that is when I can get the time off work..

duck

Apr 17, 2012
Adelaide
G'day I am wondering where you were that required you to retain grey water is it a free camp or national park and you mention that there is a growing list? I have not been to any camp areas that required me to retain grey water. I have done some research and posted a question in relation to grey water on caravanners forum but haven't found it a requirement yet. I am concerned on how I would set a tank up in my van as I think adding another tank would upset the balance. I think I would have too much weight in the wrong place. I am now using biogradable products rather than those products that have harmful chemicals in them particularly phosphorus which is a problem. Wish to add that some responded to my post on the caravanners forum and there is some concern that retaining grey water in holding tanks starts the bacteria process which may pose a health problem. I haven't been able to find any testing or research or conclusion that camp areas are being contaminated by dropping grey water straight on the ground.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
G'day Duck, the last free camping place I stayed at that had the leave no trace policy was at Cowwaar Weir in Victoria. http://www.srw.com.au/page/page.asp?page_id=153

http://www.walkaboutoz.com/other-forums/464-cowwarr-weir-self-contained-rv-campground-vic.html
I guess it's close to water storage, hence the leave no trace requirements. RV self contained. Lovely place to stay.. Shame it rained non stop for me..

There was a lot of discussion on the caravaners forum about leave no trace and national parks, although I think most of it was based around WA and their parks.

As for balance of the rig, I guess it depends where you place the tank.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Interesting thought about Grey Water retention period.

When we had a Grey Water system installed during the drought and water restrictions when we lived in Melbourne many years ago, you were not allowed to retain any Grey Water for more than 24 hours due to the bacteria buildup and subsequent smells and health risks.

The only way around this would be to use similar chemical additives as is in the portable toilets.

Where these places are requesting "no footprint", are they providing some sort of dump point at least?

Ro

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Hey Guys and Girls,
This is a interesting topic and who would of thought I will ever have this problem up in Central QLD? We went camping at one of our local dams in the area and the same thing, you have to retain your grey water. We don't have a shower model so the little bit of washup in the kitchen we caught in a bucket. But we have the external shower setup which we were not allowed to use. I have also heard of a few places down the QLD coast that is starting the same thing.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hey Guys and Girls,
This is a interesting topic and who would of thought I will ever have this problem up in Central QLD?

We had the same thing at Theressa Creek Dam, i guess its because its a water supply, although they don't enforce it, they do mention it. I was more worried about our trip done south in a couple of weeks time. Might have to use buckets or something.

duck

Apr 17, 2012
Adelaide
When you use the bucket where do you empty it? and I presume the water was dish water and what type of cleaner was used? I would think it would be very difficult to police no footprint policy. Does the rig get inspected?

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
So where do you dump your grey water once your bucket is full?

I know! Thats what they all use at the Dam, then they just throw it further away in the long grass! Doesn't make sense, and the only way than can police it is A) by catching you in the act or 2) Van inspections.
I dare say you would need to have some sort of "no footprint" registration sticker or something to that affect.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
not everything has to be policed though.
When I go 4wdriving, I follow the 'tread lightly' policy. No one checks me on it, but I know it isn't making the environment any worse by my actions. Grey water can contain salts and chemicals etc which can affect the plants - particuarly natives. Food scraps can be harmful to the animals. etc etc.

It does become obvious if people are discharging their waste water or not, and then Parks Vic, Nat Parks & Wildlife Service or whoever starts closing camping areas to all users, to help them recover. (Just like 4wd drive tracks now for those who don't follow the 'tread lightly' principles)