Greetings From ColinM

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Not getting into an argument but that is really an oxymoron ................. like a Prado is a true FWD...lol,lol,lol......and a Jeep isn't ...lol,,lol.......
Just saw this comment prado not a 4x4 did you not know i came 9th last year winning one stage in the ARB easter 4x4 comp at Eldee station in the prado beating MR 4x4 Pat Callahan in his Amarok thank you very much not a 4x4 just google them and see what they can do any time your collie wants a challange im more than ready just a bit far away lol

Reactions: DRW

ColinM

Jul 31, 2019
Mount Barker, Western Australia
Just saw this comment prado not a 4x4 did you not know i came 9th last year winning one stage in the ARB easter 4x4 comp at Eldee station in the prado beating MR 4x4 Pat Callahan in his Amarok thank you very much not a 4x4 just google them and see what they can do any time your collie wants a challange im more than ready just a bit far away lol

Hi @Bluey - Here's my subsequent post - and that is meant very sincerely 8-). And sincere congrats on your 9th position!

@Drover - Yup I deserved that - in hindsight that comment was unfair and inappropriate - withdrawn - with my apologies Drover. 8-)

Last edited:

ColinM

Jul 31, 2019
The Amarok has that other added bonus with max ball weight. You'll need to mindful of the vehicles tow capacity because its max tow mass is limited to 300kg. In good old Oz the recommended'ish trailer ball weight is 10% of the trailer ATM. The Amarok is rated to tow 3.5t, and a 3.5t trailer should have a 350kg towball mass (being 10% of the trailers ATM) , 50kg more than the Amarok is rated for. The Amarok's 300kg max tow mass limit strongly suggesting the cars more suited to a sub 3t trailer.

I'm starting to confuse myself now ... way too many occurrences of the word "mass" for an atheist to be comfortable without looking behind :o

Ha Ha - Makes you wonder how that all got approved then.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
“Some say” please name and address of those believers @Crusty181
Me (of course), Nissan CEO Hon. Mr Hiroto Saikawa, off again on again @Bluey for a short time, Mr and Mrs Kelly from Kelly Racing,

You can once again buy a new Datsun if your interested
18MY_K2SV_001_Final_desktop_3000x1300.jpg.ximg.full.hero (1).jpg

ColinM

Jul 31, 2019
Ok All You Learned/Experienced Carvanners - I've never owned a caravan or towed one (but towed plenty of bigish boats) and have lots to learn and consider before we purchase our caravan. To refresh your memory, and to save you reading through the whole thread, my wife and I intend to sell our home in 3 years time and spend the rest of our time together on / off the road carvanning/touring. The van we currently have in mind is the 22' Jayco Journey Outback 22.68.2 and of course this may change and a lot could happen with van models in that time. The current 2015 amarok with a 3K towing rated capacity will, of course, need upgrading. I like the idea of getting another ute with a canopy and draws. If we are travelling for (hopefully) a number of years we need to be super organised.

Some may (or may not) see 3 years as a long time but we have a lot to learn and consider

So learned and experienced brains trust - what would be your advice on what to look out for/options/accessories etc? Your constructive input will be very much appreciated and no doubt invaluable.

So far, from thought and comments in this forum I have:
* Physical exhaustive go through and examination of an van being considered.
* Hiring a van rated for our current tug and test the experience - including wife being able to do all.
* A short shake out trip when we eventually purchase.
* A check list for pre-delivery.
* Extra solar panels including long lead blankets to allow shaded camping on a hot sunny day.
* Stone guard.
* Towing mirrors! (obviously)

Looking forward to some great and inspirational advice!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Quicky******* 1. Dont buy bits and bobs until you get a van and see what you really need....

2.... Trawl caravan yards, shows but not too much or your eyes will bleed.........

3. .....Best to trial a trip or 6 before selling house, have come across folk who sold up, bought rig and took off but found the reality wasn't like the dream they read about.....never camped before and it was all a bit much to try a lap , never did find out the outcome but they had nothing left but their rig.

ColinM

Jul 31, 2019
Quicky******* 1. Dont buy bits and bobs until you get a van and see what you really need....

2.... Trawl caravan yards, shows but not too much or your eyes will bleed.........

3. .....Best to trial a trip or 6 before selling house, have come across folk who sold up, bought rig and took off but found the reality wasn't like the dream they read about.....never camped before and it was all a bit much to try a lap , never did find out the outcome but they had nothing left but their rig.

Thanks Drover - a great start and very much appreciated!
I've done tons of camping - often over extended periods - but excellent advice just the same - whilst exciting as a notion I'd be lying if selling our home and 99% of worldly goods doesn't scare the sh*t out of me somewhat. But couldn't afford to do it otherwise.

Reactions: DRW and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks Drover - a great start and very much appreciated!
I've done tons of camping - often over extended periods - but excellent advice just the same - whilst exciting as a notion I'd be lying if selling our home and 99% of worldly goods doesn't scare the sh*t out of me somewhat. But couldn't afford to do it otherwise.
Youll probably need at least a fishing kayak tho ....

Reactions: ColinM

ColinM

Jul 31, 2019
Youll probably need at least a fishing kayak tho ....

Ha Ha - funny you should mention that - my wife and I both have Hobey Pro Anglers on a specially kitted out trailer. Think we'll need something lighter and less "bombed" , as least as far as my yak goes. Here's a couple of pics and a vid I shot using a cap peak mounted IR wrist remote operated Drift Ghost 1080p vid camera :

Kayaks.jpg
my yak.jpg

and the video - southern wa outdoors was a forum I built and ran... - don't both looking for the forum - now gone.

(West Australian) Dhui Fish at Hartmans - Loved shooting those videos - drove my wife nuts though LOL - notice the home made top yak unloader.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ha Ha - funny you should mention that - my wife and I both have Hobey Pro Anglers on a specially kitted out trailer. Think we'll need something lighter and less "bombed" , as least as far as my yak goes. Here's a couple of pics and a vid I shot using a cap peak mounted IR wrist remote operated Drift Ghost 1080p vid camera :

View attachment 63733View attachment 63734

and the video - southern wa outdoors was a forum I built and ran... - don't both looking for the forum - now gone.

(West Australian) Dhui Fish at Hartmans - Loved shooting those videos - drove my wife nuts though LOL - notice the home made top yak unloader.

I did entertain the idea of a Pro12 for a while, but stuck with the trusty Outback. The yak consumed 3 ltrs/100km on the roof rack of the Navara towing for the 40k km trip around Oz. A simple bit of maths will easily reveal the $$$ dollar cost of the decision ... and you cant use the yak in the entire top 1/3 of Oz without becoming someones lunch

P1010711.jpg

Nice launcher. The Hobie weight specs kinda suggest they'd be easy to throw about but they're heavy buggers particularly throwing them up onto the roof of a lifted 4x4

Last edited:
Reactions: ColinM

ColinM

Jul 31, 2019
I did entertain the idea of a Pro12 for a while, but stuck with the trusty Outback. The yak consumed 3 ltrs/100km on the roof rack of the Navara towing for the 40k km trip around Oz. A simple bit of maths will easily reveal the $$$ dollar cost of the decision ... and you cant use the yak in the entire top 1/3 of Oz without becoming someones lunch

View attachment 63735

Nice launcher. The Hobie weight specs kinda suggest they'd be easy to throw about but they're heavy buggers particularly throwing them up onto the roof of a lifted 4x4

Ha ha - That's two things we now have in common - small world. You're definitely right about the PAs - especially mine. You're outback looks good - do the maths - around 2K - ouch.Thank you for the kind word on the launcher - necessity (and my back) being the mother of invention. LOL

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ha ha - That's two things we now have in common - small world. You're definitely right about the PAs - especially mine. You're outback looks good - do the maths - around 2K - ouch.Thank you for the kind word on the launcher - necessity (and my back) being the mother of invention. LOL
With the new car only literally moments away, and I have much more scope for weight, volume, and other luxuries the kayak will be taking a breather for a little while now in favour of the new tinnie that will live on the roof of the car. The aim has been for many years to make a few decisive changes for our retirement and the capacity to keep on fishing north of the 20 parallel without being eaten was high on the list. I'm a big brave hunter, but I'm not so brave when the hunted start hunting back.

The demise of the 2 stroke outboard bought the engine acquisition forward 3 years, and apparently, there's no point having a 2 stroke and no boat so the boat joined the party. Cant tow the boat without a trailer so up you come, and cant tow both a trailer and a caravan so roof loader quickly followed. The roof loader wont go on the Narava, so no point having all that fun stuff to enjoy, with no way to cart it on the Navara which had 2 years to go, so with Toyota announcing the death of the V8 I just continued to haemorrhage cash, which was only becoming faster now and the 2 year Landcruiser plan was dragged forward as well.

Reactions: DRW and ColinM

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Speaking of Yaks, I have to divest of some so have a twin and a single up for sale, Mrs D has to give up Yaking (paddle variety) so i have spares.....Don't take them with me anymore as they only attract dry rivers and lakes .............

ColinM

Jul 31, 2019
With the new car only literally moments away, and I have much more scope for weight, volume, and other luxuries the kayak will be taking a breather for a little while now in favour of the new tinnie that will live on the roof of the car. The aim has been for many years to make a few decisive changes for our retirement and the capacity to keep on fishing north of the 20 parallel without being eaten was high on the list. I'm a big brave hunter, but I'm not so brave when the hunted start hunting back.

The demise of the 2 stroke outboard bought the engine acquisition forward 3 years, and apparently, there's no point having a 2 stroke and no boat so the boat joined the party. Cant tow the boat without a trailer so up you come, and cant tow both a trailer and a caravan so roof loader quickly followed. The roof loader wont go on the Narava, so no point having all that fun stuff to enjoy, with no way to cart it on the Navara which had 2 years to go, so with Toyota announcing the death of the V8 I just continued to haemorrhage cash, which was only becoming faster now and the 2 year Landcruiser plan was dragged forward as well.

I'm a big brave hunter, but I'm not so brave when the hunted start hunting back.
- LOL! Never a truer word spoke Crusty.

Oh, you with a new Landcruiser and @Joves with a new LandRover - how jealous am I .