Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Gee I thought you would be just over 12.5mts long, well thats okay then you should skid in at car rate....... Shall we all wait and see how you fare ????????

Might run the tape over my rig, the old Ute was 5.8m and the Jeep is shorter by heaps but doubt I'll be under 12.5 as Big Mal is near the 9mt mark and certainly blows the height a sits 2.95m ..............................

Good to hear the bags are working well and you got those brakes sorted, rotten job isn't it.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mate at Sussex Inlet NSW has just started to fight a last ditch battle as the fire is 50 mts from his door, hes fought a few over the years but this is bad, concerned for folks on the NSW Sth Coast.....They expectComms to go on the Sth Coast tonight....
My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

rags

Mate at Sussex Inlet NSW has just started to fight a last ditch battle as the fire is 50 mts from his door, hes fought a few over the years but this is bad, concerned for folks on the NSW Sth Coast.....They expectComms to go on the Sth Coast tonight....
My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

Just home now after spending few weeks with my old community rfs in the Blue Mts. Not real flash out there.
On a positive note, took the van along for accomodation and must say the investment in a compressor fridge along with solar and batteries has been well worth it. The van hasn’t been near a power point for over a month but has kept the fridge super cool during this time in some plus 40 degree days.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I'm pleased to report my mate at Sussex Inlet managed to stop the fire at his front door and is an oasis amongst black scrub, reckons he will be living in his van for the next week or so as the power will be down that long............. of course he wasn't alone his missus was the hose tender and one of the hundreds of trucks fighting this huge blaze was helping him.............. His pics certainly brought back some memories that I hope I won't see again here......

Reactions: chartrock and DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Some of my tribe in Canberra have sent pics of the smoke they are enduring and have thrown some of our grandkids on a plane to QLD so they dont choke....The planned trip to the ACT in a few weeks more than likely canned I think...... Might head north for the wet season.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
My brother just got home from batemans bay, he lives in nth Nowra and there’ll all concerned if the fire jumps the shoalhaven there all I’m line and the fire will probably burn through kangaroo valley and keep going, not good times

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep once it jumps the Shoalhaven if up near the Tallowa Dam it can just run up the Kangaroo to the village, its a scary place to be with bush fires, it just races up the valley and no way top stop it.
HMAS Albatross on the edge of Nowra, the Fleet Air Arm base has had the fires at the edge of the strip, I have seen it at the perimeter before but to jump into the base .... thats scary stuff............ Have lots of friends in that area my old stomping ground.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
BLAZE AID .................... thinking I might pack the old tools in a bag, hook up Big Mal and head off to lend a hand, well as much as an old coot can do anyway, mind is willing but the body beautiful may have other thoughts, fencing and stuff can be a a source of much pain of an evening, especially for an old bugger....anyone Been There Done That with Blaze Aid ?????

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
BLAZE AID .................... thinking I might pack the old tools in a bag, hook up Big Mal and head off to lend a hand, well as much as an old coot can do anyway, mind is willing but the body beautiful may have other thoughts, fencing and stuff can be a a source of much pain of an evening, especially for an old bugger....anyone Been There Done That with Blaze Aid ?????

Hi @Drover , talk to @mikerezny about that as he did some work for Blaze Aid last year.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
We have done three stints at BlazeAid: Floods at Bridgewater, fences at Cobden and Bunyip. We may head off to either Lexton or East Gippsland when the camps are announced.
I was a team leader for some of the time at Cobden.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Drover

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Drover ,
have a look at this site for a list of current BlazeAid camps. There should be some up in Northern NSW. I see there is still one going in Ebor.

http://blazeaid.com.au/current-camps

You just need to phone the Camp Coordinator for the camp you want to attend to let them know you are volunteering. Note that dogs are not allowed at some camps.
You just have to front up. You are covered for workers comp as long as you are alcohol and drug free. But you are not covered for ambulance.
They supply everything else: food, camping, sometimes power, showers, laundry. That have tandem trailers that have all the tools needed to do the work.
Usually they supply hi-vis vests, gloves, safety googles. But they have been overwhelmed and Kevin has asked for people to bring their own vests, googles, gloves, and a pair of Knipex cutters.
You always work in a team with a team leader.

There is also a BlazeAid facebook site that has more up to date information.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Blazeaid/posts

There is also:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/blazeaidgreynomads

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep been looking at them. QLDers covered for ambo and Im covered for everything anyway just might have some other things that may stop us....equipment not a problem just wish I hadnt got rid of my fencing bag when I moved.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Tojo concept.... cid_783.jpg

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Was nice to see green paddocks and lush grass on the roadside over the weekend on a run to Cabarlah, QLD and return thru the Brisbane Valley, Esk, Kilcoy and up thru Maleny and Kenilworth on the way home, even drove past the old Homestead, greenest its been since I sold it, so long as we have some follow up rain later in the month all might be good................ The Jeep returned 8.7l/100k solo running and the slugs on the road were easy to get past, this V6 oil burner is certainly the ants, my grand plan to shop at Aldi were cancelled as I thought a new van TV or 100lt water bladder, bladder won out..................
Aiming for the Dinosaur Trail Revisted this year and a run to Temora for a flying weekend which will mean a Canberra visit and a side trip to the HARS Museum at Albion Park so a run down the NSW South Coast may as well be done while there visiting the old stomping ground..................be nice to do it all in one hit now that a bit of rain is around again............. WA in 21........... I hope.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Morning from the packed Mombai express or the hospital ward on steel wheels i realy love the train .....
Today is booking day for many parks my phone will be flat out trying to get through why all parks have today got me buggered why not each company have diffrent days isnt that easy as we stay in many diffrent parks

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:car:

You'd be lost if you had to drive to work, no time to sit and dream of holidays, fishing and just looking out the window wishing you were in QLD.................. I wish I could book into parks, getting lazy about camping but I think a few days in a caravan park is needed every so often to motivate me back to off grid camping.... Bill shock would be the first scare then neighbour sharing his music or TV program with me would be enough, in fact just thinking about it, I won't book into Red Rock for the week I was thinking about...........

Reactions: Bluey