Ford Territory 2.7 V6 Diesel

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
13000kms, I would be getting a new one every three months or so lol. Mine is only 6 months old and I have travelled 27000kms in it already. Mind you the Prado is enjoying the R&R. I will have mine for 3 years so I hate to think what the mileage will be then.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
13000kms, I would be getting a new one every three months or so lol. Mine is only 6 months old and I have travelled 27000kms in it already. Mind you the Prado is enjoying the R&R. I will have mine for 3 years so I hate to think what the mileage will be then.

At that rate - 162,000 km!

Just run in I'd say!:thumb:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Here it is - all sorted to tow. Just need to run it in!

Harrison Territory.jpg

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Yep. Traded the lease car (Aurion) for this. Prado is a 2000 model and it's value has pretty much bottomed out, plus I have put a HD clutch, done cam belts, water pump and rocker gaskets in the last 8 months or so. Now have 2 tow wagons, depending on where we want to go.

ah197331

Jan 23, 2012
I'm in a similar situation to 2Dogs.
We've had more Territories than I can remember, with the 2 most recent being diesels. We've also had Ford heavy duty towbars on all but one, which was a Hayman Reese. Apparently it got fitted 'outside' as the pre delivery guys were too busy.

The only one I've had trouble with was the Hayman Reese. I bent it! At the time I had a single axle Windsor Rapid (before I saw the light and bought a 17.56-2 OB). Further investigation revealed that the 2300 kg HR bar has the same mounting points as the stand duty factory 1600 kg bar. No wonder it bent! The factory 2300 (2700 AWD Diesel), has many more mounting points than the HR, and I'd never recommend the HR on a Territory after seeing the difference. Not to say that the factory one is the only way to go, I just recommend doing your research and check out how the different brands are mounted.

I've seen the Ebay BTA? brand and they have similar mounting to the factory 2300. (not that that's a recommendation) .

Andrew

PS. You don't need to have the Factory, non ajustable hitch with the factory bar. The HR WDH fits, you just have to take the sharp square edges off the section that runs into the receiver, as the Factory receiver has more rounded edges.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Yep.

Did a 4000 odd km trip to Sunshine Coast and back and got 14l/100 km from it. No issues with it at all. Towed up hills no dramas (the hill out of Tamworth to Armidale it easily sat on 80 all the way) and held highway speeds on the rest of the roads.

Percy

Jul 20, 2012
Chatswood NSW
Our new Territory

Hey Territory drivers how are the 2.7 Diesels holding up?

Are you happy with the towing and fuel economy?

Have had our dark blue AWD diesel Titanium for about 4 months now and couldn't be happier. Yes, the motor is one that Landrover uses, as well as Jaguar and Peugeot, but Ford have done some work on it for Oz and it is by far the smoothest and quietest I've driven, and boy does it get up and go, especially in Sports setting. The 6 speed auto box is a ZF from Germany and the new electric power steering is from the American Mustang. This is the advantage of being able to use international spare part bins!

We tow a 16.49.1 Expanda and the Ford hardly knows it's there. First trip up the North Coast of NSW was for 2500kms and we averaged 11.8l/100kms for towing, general driving and some minor rough roading.

Electronics seem to be well sorted now and are impressive, with some little touches that show somebody has thought a lot about things.

My wife has told me that she enjoys driving the Ford, and as her car is a MX5 sports, that is saying something. Price was a bit high but I got a good changeover for my Subaru Liberty GT so it was less than an equivalent Pajero or Prado and is a far better driver all round.

Cheers

Percy

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Have had our dark blue AWD diesel Titanium for about 4 months now and couldn't be happier. Yes, the motor is one that Landrover uses, as well as Jaguar and Peugeot, but Ford have done some work on it for Oz and it is by far the smoothest and quietest I've driven, and boy does it get up and go, especially in Sports setting. The 6 speed auto box is a ZF from Germany and the new electric power steering is from the American Mustang. This is the advantage of being able to use international spare part bins!

Just gotta correct you there Percy, the 6 speed in the diesel is a copy of the ZF, built under licence by Ford in the USA.
It's still a very good trans though.
I had a ZF in my old Terri, very smooth too (and tuneable!!)

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Down in Marlo.

Broken gearbox!

Heading to Bairnsdale on a truck tomorrow to leave with Ford and then train home to pick up Prado to continue holiday.

Bollocks!!!!!!!!!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
BOD that's no good, what happened? Was it an overdrive issue? Hope they sort your car out quickly.

Cheers Geoff

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
That's a bugger.
First time I've heard of one going bang so early.

There was issues with the factory transmission heat exchanger giving up around the 100K mark on SY & SYII.
This caused coolant to mix with trans fluid, not good.

Seeing as though they are supposedly "sealed for life" (pfft!!) they should be bulletproof.
Let us know the outcome.

Good luck.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Thanks.

The car is with Ford and we are waiting to find out the cause.

The ZF is supposed to be bullet proof. My mate is a Ford dealer who has seen the sort of testing and development they do and he says that you would have to seriously mistreat it to break it. Ford do abuse them in testing to see what breaks them. I didn't abuse it so I suspect a manufacturing fault.

Anyway, Prado and me now back with van and family and on with the show!