Ford Territory 2.7 V6 Diesel

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Looking at buying one of these.

Anyone else got one they tow with or know what they are they are like?

AWD - 2,700 kg / 270 kg ball
RWD - 2,300 kg / 230 kg ball

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
All I know is that we test drove one earlier in the year when they were first released and we fell in love! We were looking at getting the Titanium AWD Diesel. Couldnt believe how quiet and responsive the diesel was. I didnt believe the dealer and had to check under the hood to make sure it wasn't petrol!
Unfortunately, we pulled our heads in a little and re-assessed the budget. In the end, we found a more standard RWD petrol version of the previous model for sale second hand, only 3 months old. Bought it for half the amount of a new Diesel so couldnt complain too much.

I'm guessing they tow well, 2700kg is a good amount. Hopefully someone on here has one and can tell you all about it.

Pac1977

Feb 19, 2012
Hey Bank of Dad,
We have the TX TD RWD. Goes great, quiet, heaps of room. Fuel economy is pretty good, average around 9 lt/100km around town and down to 6.5 - 7 on the highway. Tows our Swan (about 1500kgs loaded) like it's not there and pushes the economy up to 10.5 - 11 lt/100km, which I think it still pretty good, I'd imagine that would go a bit higher towing your expanda.
Done 22,000kms and have not had any issues to date.

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
We have the TX TD RWD and absolutely love it. Haven't towed with it yet, but will know by the end of this month how good it is towing the Expanda. I average 8.5l/100km for all my driving and I am based on the road so I do a lot. Having moved from a commodore omega to this, it is certainly a step in the best direction. I was even able to install the brake controller myself as I got the install notes for the heavy duty HR tow bar that showed how to access the rear wiring. It drives well as a vehicle, the turbo gives it some grunt and it handles really well in all conditions driven so far. Heaps of room in the back with a cig plug already there for the Waeco. As it is a tool of trade vehicle, the Prado will get very little use in the next three years as the Territory will do all the on road/dirt road trips and the Prado will only do the off road trips.

Hope this helps, take a test drive and you will love it I am sure.

Reactions: Bank of Dad

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We quickly checked the awd titanium and were put off by the price. I have heard the motor they are using is an older one used by maybe Landrover or someone similar so I do not know what they were like. Unfortunately my wife took one look at the 7seat rear seat and said forget it. I thought it looked OK. I will admit, I am not a Ford man after owning a BA once.

Maybe we need a new sub forum for tow vehicles.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Maybe we need a new sub forum for tow vehicles.

This I totally agree with..

I can't give any first hand experience with a new TD Terri, but having owned 2 petrol ones, an '04 TS RWD and currently an '08 Ghia Turbo AWD they are fantastic tow vehicles, if a little thirsty.
Having said that, the lease is up on my current one next month and I couldn't bring myself to go another one, there just isn't enough new technology in it for me and putting in a 7+ year old engine from Land Rover/Jaguar
is nothing new or ground breaking. The output numbers are nothing too flash either, 140kw and only 440nm of torque doesn't cut it with me these days.

My petrol turbo has more of both.

Last Friday I placed an order for a new Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, 177kw and 550nm of torque is far more appealing, as well as being more frugal than the terri to boot.

Cheers,
Matty

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Thanks everyone for your replies and candid opinions.

We had a drive today, ok it was the Titanium (BTW - appropriate name; you could pick up a Platinum Pajero for the same price) and loved the feel and the torque. It actually has the same torque as the Pajero and more than the Prado.

Will probably go for the TX RWD, 2300 kg, as our van has a max ATM of 2280 kg and a Tare of 1808 kg. We rarely fill both tanks and don't carry much so last weigh of payload was 300 kg (incl water). The 2700kg version in AWD doesn't give you anymore weight over the rear axle.

One question we are still thinking of is whether to go for the 3rd row of seats (5 to 7 seat capacity)? We will keep our Prado which is 7 seats and like 4wdadv use it to tow if we want to go a little off road (our van is not off road).

Cheers.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Last Friday I placed an order for a new Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, 177kw and 550nm of torque is far more appealing, as well as being more frugal than the terri to boot.

Now that sounds like fun, do tell.......................

I agree we need a tow vehcile section, i have started a few threads on them myself.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Matty......if it's not a rude question, may I ask what this set you back? PM if you feel more comfy.

I've ordered the top of the range Overland, so it's a fair bit dearer than a TX RWD Terri.
The base model Laredo CRD has a retail price of $53000, so again a bit more than a Terri.

Having said that, I got close to 10% off retail, so you could possibly expect similar.
They are very popular and unless my dealer can find one in my chosen colour that is still un-allocated, then I'm looking at a 5 month wait for it....

All diesels have a 3500kg tow limit with 350kg max ball weight.
Don't think any Expanda will get close to it.....hehe

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Nice work Matty. One of these overtook me on the Highway towing what looked like a 2.5t van, we were both going up a long hill, but i wasn't towing anything. My poor gutless Patrol had no chance:(

Sorry all, back on topic................Fords Terries :happy:

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
we have the new jeep grand cherokee although with the hemi and it drives as good as the Audi that we just sold and its a lot quieter.
towed a camper trailer on the weekend and you wouldntt know it was there....liked the crd but not the wait

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
Mine is the 5 sweater which I like as the gap between the second row of seats and third row of seats is covered when the seats are folded down. Also not having the third row of seats gives me added storage under the floor for my rarely used work gear or for hiding valuable gear.

Reactions: Bank of Dad

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I would always take the 7 seat option, even if you never intend using it.
Purely for resale down the line. Most people want them as a good family car and having the versatility of 7 seats appeals a lot.
Admittedly they are not that great for long distance travel and the design of them leaves a lot to be desired, but for occassional use they are invaluable.

When folded into the floor they only add approx 50mm to the floor height.
Have a look in the Territory section of Ford Forums, there are quite a few posts from people who have bought a cheap 5 seater and then go looking for advice on how to fit the 3rd row in later (basically in can't be done, they are engineered in)

Just my opinion though.

Cheers,
Matty

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Bought a 2.7 Diesel TX RWD 5 Seat Territory with full heavy duty tow kit + mats, tinting, bonnet protector & Heavy duty cargo mat for the boot.

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
Hope you didn't pay $2200 that Ford want to charge for the heavy duty tow bar? $750 fitted from most other reputable companies. If you have, remove it as an option and I can try and find the company that quoted me that price. They travel to fit, so will fit at your work place and do a great job. I didn't use them as I had a mate buy and fit mine, but the other bloke I work with did and was happy with the cheaper price. just let me know.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Hope you didn't pay $2200 that Ford want to charge for the heavy duty tow bar? $750 fitted from most other reputable companies. If you have, remove it as an option and I can try and find the company that quoted me that price. They travel to fit, so will fit at your work place and do a great job. I didn't use them as I had a mate buy and fit mine, but the other bloke I work with did and was happy with the cheaper price. just let me know.

Agree with this. I've had 2 Territories and both times I've had genuine Hayman Reese towbars fitted after purchase.
The genuine Ford one includes a non-adjustable WDH head and the level rider bars. being non-adjustable is totally useless.
I got both mine fitted at home by these guys, genuine HR bar and even used the correct loom to disable the reverse sensors when towing.
http://www.tossa.com.au/

Get a price before you commit to the Ford one.
BTW, congrats on the purchase, by all accounts the diesel is good.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Thanks guys.

No I am getting the car with a Prodigy BC and set up for my HR WDH that I use with the Prado. All wired up with mats, tinting etc $41K!

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
I am on my 3rd RWD diesel , first and second were TX , third is a TS..
No issues ,as they are lease cars i probably dont keep them long enough .
But so far very happy with the diesel engine in them.