Ford Territory 2.7 V6 Diesel

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
What was the auto doing when paying up?

Let us know what they find mate.

CD............It was all normal with no sign of anything wrong until we stopped to refuel after 15 km drive (not towing) and it wouldn't "clutch" in Drive. We stopped, waiting to move onto the pump and it kept wanting to move forward in a similar way that a manual car might if you stop in 1st gear and don't de-clutch.

Started and drove off and shortly afterwards we got the following warnings:

1. "Cruise Not Available". (Even though it wasn't selected)
2. "DSC Fault".
3. "Auto Transmission Fault".

I shut the car off and restarted it and got all the above faults again. It then went into "LIMP MODE" whereby it should select 3rd gear and lock it in so you can get home. Instead ours locked into 1st gear! Went back slowly to Orbost to RACV. Me, wife, 2 teenagers and our dog found a taxi willing to take us plus dog back to Marlo.

The next day it went on a truck to Bairnsdale with myself. I caught the train Bairnsdale to Kilmore and the following day drove our Prado back to Marlo, stopping to buy a set of roof racks for our kayak. Back on holidays!

Ford have approved the replacement of the transmission under warranty, but no word on when it will be ready.

Once it is ready, I will have to take the train back to Bairnsdale to collect the bl*#dy thing as Ford won't deliver it!

Not the end of the world, but we won't forget this trip in a hurry!:doh:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
did you guys tow a caravan around australia with one of these

No. Melbourne to Sunshine Coast and back.

All up it has towed about 6,000 km. Ford are satisfied that towing has not contributed to this failure. The gearbox tows 3350 kg in the Ranger so 2300 kg in a Territory is not a problem. Never had an transmission overheat warning at all.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks Bod, and good to hear its getting sorted.

Bairnsdale must be the place for repairs, years ago I had to to a Holden Gemini home from there on a tandem trailer for a cousin, I should have left it there :laugh:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Ford have provided some help to us. The replacement auto is at the dealer in Bairnsdale today & is scheduled to be fitted this Friday. I collect a courtesy car Thursday night to get me through work until the Territory is returned. Ford have also agreed to deliver the car back home after repair.

Hopefully all good by late next week!

Pain but compared to those in fire, flood or both it pales into insignificance.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Finally got the Terry back Tuesday 12 Feb.

Bit of a mix up of communication at Ford led to it taking 2 weeks for delivery back to us.

All seems ok with the car so far!

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
hi we had a 2011 petrol territory for 6mths sold it and have just brought a 2013 AWD DIESEL tows or old van a 2000kg van without blinking a eye lid have just ordered new 20/63-1 expanda with a tare of around 2050kg picking up in 3 weeks can let you no how goes

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
hi u guys,
took delivery of 2013 AWD diesel in april and will be picking up new 17.55.5 ob next Tuesday from Canberra- it should tow it easy, though after reading about gearbox troubles will be bit anxious
cheers geoff