Ford Ranger/BT 50 oil change warning

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
Not sure if this has been mentioned but thought I'd put it up here as a warning just in case it hasn't. I was speaking with a friend on the w/end who runs a 4x4 mechanical workshop and he mentioned that they just got a warning about oil changes on these vehicles, so I searched the www and found this on " Aftermarket 4x4"
Mazda BT50/Ford Ranger Oil Change Issue
Posted by Woody on Apr 02, 2014 .
If you own or know someone that owns a new Mazda BT50 or Ford Ranger then this one's for you! We recently received a service warning for mechanics about a possible issue with the variable flow oil pump fitted to the new generation 5cyl Diesel UP0YF* engines.

Rather than having a conventional fixed flow oil pump, the new engines have a variable flow oil pump that varies oil pressure as the vehicle RPM varies. The problem comes when the oil is drained out of the pump and the pump cannot re-prime itself.

When performing an oil change, do not drain the oil for more than 10 minutes and get the fresh oil into the engine as soon as possible, otherwise the pump MIGHT completely drain out and not re-prime, leading to it failing to run. Even increasing the engines RPM will fail and most likely cause unnecessary damage.

So ensure that the total drain time is less than 10 minutes!

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
That's cool, just seems to be catching a few mechanics out from what my mate told me so thought if it's a prob for the pros then a lot of home mechs might not know about it.

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
I know a few BT owners so I'm gonna have to make sure they know this, cause I reckon most of them would change oil like I do. Remove drain plug, go inside for refreshments, and return some time later, min half hour, to complete job. Even my mech friend said it's not uncommon for him to leave a car to drain overnight.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Thanks for that info, though these days I don't change my own oil anymore. I give my arm and leg to Mazda to do. It annoys me that my BT50 has to be done every 10000km while its step sister the Ranger gets done every 15000km. Why is that?

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
The word down at the local Ford dealer is not to let these Rangers drip dry at all apparently @cruza driver

They have been caught out and had to bleed the oil pump on one of the first Rangers to solve this issue. So the chances of doing serious damage are increased for every drop of oil that is dripped out. If this happens and it loose's pressure TURN OFF the motor and bleed out the oil pump before you attempt to start the motor again.

Hope this helps

Skip

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The word down at the local Ford dealer is not to let these Rangers drip dry at all apparently @cruza driver

They have been caught out and had to bleed the oil pump on one of the first Rangers to solve this issue. So the chances of doing serious damage are increased for every drop of oil that is dripped out. If this happens and it loose's pressure TURN OFF the motor and bleed out the oil pump before you attempt to start the motor again.

Hope this helps

Skip
Cool, and also filling the oil filter before refitting doesnt help either.

Thanks Skip.

Reactions: skippy

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Thanks for that info, though these days I don't change my own oil anymore. I give my arm and leg to Mazda to do. It annoys me that my BT50 has to be done every 10000km while its step sister the Ranger gets done every 15000km. Why is that?
Im old school and still change mine every 5000km..oil is cheap compared to engine

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought it was common knowledge now that you replace the oil bung as soon as the main flow stops, don't let it drain to a drip or you will have major problems...... poor design where the pick up is too high or something like that causes it to not prime.

Have also heard that the BT50 and Ranger will not be same same, soon as Ford is going on it's own and Mazda is looking for someone else to partner with.

Jags73

Mar 25, 2016
Angle Vale SA
It's the variable flow vane oil pump that is the problem, they are not self priming.
The best way to drain the oil & change filter is to drain oil first, once the oil starts to drip, replace drain plug & fill with oil, then change the filter.

To prime is to over fill engine with 15 ltrs of oil in total, with filter removed & leave overnight to self prime.
Fit oil filter & drain of excess oil, start.
Or some workshops do this, have oil filter removed, pressurise sump through PCV valve with air until oil comes out filter port, not sure what pressures they use, but it wouldn't be much over 5 - 10 psi

Word was that Mazda was going to do a recall, but it was going to be too costly.8-)