17' Series Flush Tank - Leave it full or empty it?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Just thought I'd put it to the learned forum, something I was wondering the other day...

When you get home, do you bother emptying the flush tank on your dunny (assuming you have one) or do you leave it with whatever the tank is in there?

Naturally I'm sure we all empty the cassette though don't we @Crusty181... ;)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I usually leave it full so its ready for next time
Casette dumped before leaving park usually then cleaned properly at home

Tanks also stored full then drained and refillled before next trip.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
I don't know why, but the flush tank seems to get algae in it pretty quickly and that's why I started emptying mine (back when I had one).
They have made it so easy to do, so why not? Saves the pump too, I would think.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Mine uses the water from the tanks I don't thick it has a flush tank

Yes the newer type toilets with the swivel bowl type arrangement do flush from the normal tanks, probably not a good arrangement as far as free camping goes as you'd go throught your water a lot quicker, but that's how they do most of them now. My mates van (not Jayco) it flushes from mains if connected or tanks if not.

I don't know why, but the flush tank seems to get algae in it pretty quickly and that's why I started emptying mine (back when I had one).
They have made it so easy to do, so why not? Saves the pump too, I would think.

Generally shouldn't get algae if kept full as much as possible, we never had any problem with ours in for years
I've also heard that the PINK flush tank chemical they supply can actually cause algae and problems within the tank, I've never used it, only ever fresh water.

Thanks @Turtle and @Bushman for the tips. Perhaps I'm missing something but what's the 'easy' way off emptying it @Turtle?

To drain the flush tank there is a sight glass just inside the cassette door that tells you the water level, just disconnect it from the top and let it hang down outside the door, also take the fill cap off to let air in.

Reactions: numbez

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @Bushman. We've only used fresh water as well and have just left it with whatever was left when we got home. Noticed the first flush when away a little discoloured but then no issue.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I had algae issues almost from day 1. I spoke to thetford rep at a show and she seemed aware of it. She also reckoned the new pink 'plus' is designed to alleviate this very problem. Cant test it now coz our new van flushes from the main tank!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I'll keep an eye out for the "pink" stuff at Caravan show. In a way though, a minor algal bloom isn't really that much of an issue is it?? I mean, you flush the dunny with it, not drink/wash/clean in it...

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I'll keep an eye out for the "pink" stuff at Caravan show. In a way though, a minor algal bloom isn't really that much of an issue is it?? I mean, you flush the dunny with it, not drink/wash/clean in it...

I think the longevity of the pump might be more of a benefit. I know that even though they are waterproof they can eventually seep and suffer corrosion.

Reactions: Smergen

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I empty mine and leave it open for a week to dry out properly, to save the algae growth. I usually flush with clean water to rinse the flush chemical out as well.

Reactions: Crusty181

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
We leave as it is when we come home generally with some thing in it, we use nappie san in our flush and cassette and never had any issues with algae since we went away from the pink stuff. Sometimes we do add a bit of the rinse with the flush tank but always have nappie san in it to stop the algae growth.