Five In A Starcraft 17.58.3 OB Van Plus Dog

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
our old 17.58 and our 22.68 with Drifter do not have a battery switch as the switch was on the drifter.
The switch we had was for hot water which was next to it. If the switch is for the battery maybe they can remove it and replace the panel.
Or you can use the whole for a 12v

Although ours had the sink and stove swapped
View attachment 42617

@mfexpanda yes you know the Alcohol is safe with me.. Those chips :) well :)
Ah see the new ones have a splash back on that panel due to the stove so there is only the small space up top next to the overhead panels. It's that black and red one for batteries. I'm not too fussed, was just a bit peeved to see it there after talking to my sales guy about the drifter and being assured it would not be on the bunk side. Hadn't occured to me something else might be. The kids will lose interest in it soon enough. They are out sleeping in the van tonight for the very first time. School holidays have begun!

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Ah see the new ones have a splash back on that panel due to the stove so there is only the small space up top next to the overhead panels. It's that black and red one for batteries. I'm not too fussed, was just a bit peeved to see it there after talking to my sales guy about the drifter and being assured it would not be on the bunk side. Hadn't occured to me something else might be. The kids will lose interest in it soon enough. They are out sleeping in the van tonight for the very first time. School holidays have begun!
kids and big kids will have a blast.. Missing mine was going to sleep in it last weekend although no diesel heater and did not want to make a snowman :)

Reactions: FiveInAVan

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
So thought I'd share what I have done for our bed conversion for others who were looking at movable bed options. I worked out the conversion is about the size of a King Single (conversion is a bit shorter in length but same width). Being a bit on the hard size I bought a foam mattress topper from Target. I worked out the Queen size was perfect to cut in half and fit exactly. This way I have extra softness with two layers as it isn't super thick.
View attachment 42610
So using a King Single Mattress Protector to hold the two foam toppers in place (queen topper cut in half) I now have a movable top for the conversion which can be removed and rolled up and the table put back in it's place during the day if we need to. It is slightly longer than the bed but I decided not to cut it to fit as I figure it will offer a bit of protection to the seat cushions and prevent dirty feet staining it.
View attachment 42611
I bought king single sheets (one fitted and a flat) and am using the double bed doona that came with the van (as I put a queen on the double bed for extra width and less chance of being cold due to doona hogs:p The topper also solved the issue of not being able to use a fitted sheet on the bed conversion cushions. Ours is very tight, I think they made the middle cushion a tad too big.
That'd be luxurious, nice stuff !! We had a 'movie night' on satdy with all four of us on the dinnette bed. It is a tad hard atm but the amount the girls jump around it'll be super soft in a coupla days I recon:target::rant:

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Shakedown trip this past weekend. We were invited to stay for the weekend at Hosanna Farmstay in NSW with friends of ours who were staying for the week. Van towed well and was a nice weekend, relaxing although a tad cold! 2 degrees the first night brrr! The van preformed well, although I need to remember to exerience things for myself and ignore the internet as it influenced a few of my decisions on our trip and had me shaking my head at myself. Hosanna was a fabulous stay for kids. They had a ball. Lots for them to do and they had fun milking cows, feeding animals and playing in the creek. The fire hob came in very handy and the van now has a slight smokey scent inside but it was worth it.
20160627_082017.jpg
Sleeping on the dinette with my toddler was quite comfy and by night 2 I had found a few comfy positions that allowed me to stretch my legs out straight (in a V shape). I am 169cm tall for those wondering. Condensation leaking onto the pelmets were the only negative I took away from our weekend, but working out a system of wiping it all down is helping. Good to know my initial instinct about our "leak" was actually correct so am happy condensation was the only issue and this isn't an actual issue.
If anyone goes to Hosanna a word of advice regarding the glow worm tunnels. It was a little unclear the distance. Our brochure said a 2hr walk from Hosanna or 2 min drive. That is 2min drive plus a 5km round walk to the tunnel entrance on rocky path. Was a nice surprise for hubby and the kids lol and am glad I stayed in the warm van with toddler and gave it a miss. Worth the walk but would have been better knowing what was ahead, especially for the kids. They did really well, though, and no complaints from my 7yr old on the long walk either hubby said.
I forgot to take photos of the van setup until we were packing up so not much to show, but here is proof it happened lol.
20160627_081814.jpg
Trying to decide now where to go next. Thinking maybe one of the Big4s.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Glad to hear the van has been tested and passed.

Re condensation: if you've done this, ignore me but a good chamois is handy to carry for such issues.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Good to hear it went well! Also with condensation did you have any of the windows in the poptop skirt opened a little? That helps a lot with the moisture when it is cold.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
glad it all went out hope your back was ok in the morning sleeping compressed :)
Agree quick dry cloth and leave a pop top skirt window open a little, normally did the one over dinette if the awning out as no problems if it rained.
I also found if the kids pulled across the bunk curtains it get worse where the bunk was. So I would open the curtains before I went to sleep.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
glad it all went out hope your back was ok in the morning sleeping compressed :)
Agree quick dry cloth and leave a pop top skirt window open a little, normally did the one over dinette if the awning out as no problems if it rained.
I also found if the kids pulled across the bunk curtains it get worse where the bunk was. So I would open the curtains before I went to sleep.
Back was fine, but I am fairly flexible. Thanks for the tip, will make sure to open both next time. I knew the condensation would occur but hadn't thought too much about how to prevent it at the time.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We were supposed to go away this weekend but our plans got changed so spent some time in the van doing this today
20160708_142217.jpg
Lining drawers/cupboards and labelling lights.
20160708_142403.jpg
Think it was @Pauly 's wife who gave me this awesomeness. Will be so much happier knowing which light switch is which! Although my OCD saw me do the labels 3 times and I am still not happy with them but it will do for now.
School goes back next week but will try and plan a few weekends away this term as was disappointed to only get in one trip in the new van since we picked it up instead of the 3 trips we had planned.

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Ha ha ha!
Sorry had to laugh , we did about a dozen labels too before we said that'll do! We've left the label maker in the van for now as I have a feeling it will be needed again.
Hope you get away again sooner rather than later. Loving ours , went away again this last weekend as Our kidlets just went back to school today.