Five In A Starcraft 17.58.3 OB Van Plus Dog

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
With 3 days until we pick up our very first caravan I thought it was time to start thinking about the important stuff....interior design! Yes, forget all those manly mods I am going to share my vision for the interior of our new van in the countdown to handover. I am taking the light tan wood colour and blacks of the Starcraft and have gone with yellows and greys with a hint of Tiffany Green (or aqua in male speech :behindsofa: )
We chose Ferara Arrow for the dining seat material (I think, I hope!) so working everything around that design. And Kmart, LOL, because Kmart homewares are awesome!
2016-06-12 08.00.48.png
All bedding is in the grey yellow theme with a grey/white throw and kids beds have a black/white cushion with yellow edge (reverse says Be Happy Everyday).
20160612_075238.jpg
Bathroom towels and handtowels are yellow/white crosses and grey/white crosses (went with Target as same price but they are proven awesome quality towels as have used them previously at home).
20160612_142114.jpg
Floor rugs are a grey rubber backed bath mat, will sit outside ensuite and near front door/kitchen.
2016-06-03 13.40.28.png
Kitchen items are sticking with the grey/yellow theme with the tea towels but accent Tiffany Green (aqua green) and rainbow plates (because life is too boring to go with all white).
20160612_142243.jpg
Am watching weights so no purely decorative items are being used on counters. Everything has a function (ie cushions for comfort on chairs or beds and throw rugs for outside when sitting on camp chairs at night).
Well done if you have read all the way to the end lol. 3 more days until you get photos of it all in our new van :clap2:

Feel free to share pics of your own interiors and what you have done in your own van, would love to see them!

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Looks bright and cheerful!

You should get a couple of cushions at handover so I hope they don't clash with your carefully designed purchases.

And grab a couple of cans of scotch guard so you can spray on ASAP before the kids climb all over the seats.

Go on, admit it. You're enjoying the waiting time now.

:cheer2:

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Ha ha @Dobbie I am enjoying it now we are down to the last week of wait. I haven't wanted to store anything so haven't wanted to buy anything until the last week. I know all about those horrible brown cushions (although I maybe pleasantly surprised if they are a nice shade of grey or something). I was planning to delegate them to the dogs bed :pound:

Thanks for the scotch guard tip. I deliberately went with dark colours!

Last edited:

MickL

Feb 28, 2016
SA
Just be careful with any rubber backed mats on the vinyl floor as there is usually a sign by the entry warning not to place any rubber backed mats on the floor!

Reactions: FiveInAVan

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Just be careful with any rubber backed mats on the vinyl floor as there is usually a sign by the entry warning not to place any rubber backed mats on the floor!
Ah bugger, I remember reading something about flooring on here but didn't realize it extended to a floor mat. Any idea why rubber backed mats are bad? These are bathmats so not sure rubber backed is the correct term. They just have a rubber type film on the bottom to stop them slipping....
ETA - is it because of staining? I was worried it was a hazard or something. But might look at getting something else either way. The bath mats will come in handy at home instead ;)

Last edited:

MickL

Feb 28, 2016
SA
Not sure why but would assume they are worried about them damaging the vinyl floor for some reason.....You might be able to stick some boat or car carpet or similar to the underside of them to stop them damaging the floor....

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Interesting, hadn't even thought about it. Google confirmed vinyl and rubber backed mats are bad due to staining from the rubber. Easily fixed, I have one non rubbber grey and white mat at home that will work. I was just worried the kids might slip on them if they could move. Will give it a trial and see how it goes. Thanks for pointing that out @MickL I'd have been mad at myself if I had ruined the vinyl from such a simple thing!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Just don't worry about mats.

Floor vinyl is fine....just sweep every now and again, when you think it needs it.

Only mat we've ever used is outside so we can shake feet before climbing in and do a really good clean and vacuum when we get home.

Holidays are for relaxation, not for too much cleaning.

:cheerful:

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Handover went off without a hitch bright and early this morning. Very happy with the new van. One small issue with the sky light hatch, which they fixed while we were there, but otherwise nothing to note and am very happy with the overall finish. And cream cushions not brown yay @Dobbie .
Prado towed it without any issues and the overall weights of the van/tow ball were all well under our car's limits so very happy with that. Am guessing this was helped by our limited extras too. Few quick pics, will add more later after I have it fully set up. Dog is very happy he gets an invite now, no more doggy hotels for him!
Pic at handover
20160615_094034.jpg
Standard interior shot (notice my coffee cup, was an early rise this morning!)
20160615_134929.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Who hoo!!

Good to hear it went well. Now you can really get moving.

Somebody got the cushion covers right.

Have you tried out the rest of the decor yet?

Champs later today?

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Who hoo!!

Good to hear it went well. Now you can really get moving.

Somebody got the cushion covers right.

Have you tried out the rest of the decor yet?

Champs later today?
The decor is looking a tad retro but I like it. Only thing ruining my look is the satin brown bunk curtains. Goes with nothing other than cream or more brown. Can't be helped.
No champers tonight as we are all sick. Will save it for our shakedown trip (which has also been postponed for the same reason). All good, plenty of time to spend in the van, can't wait to get on the road!

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We have sprung a leak bugger. Down side to rain on handover day. Can't see any obvious faults or work out where it is coming from. Just seems to be on the pelmet itself (top bunk) above the window. With a storm forcast for Sunday I am feeling a tad nervous.
20160615_155831.jpg

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We have sprung a leak bugger. Down side to rain on handover day. Can't see any obvious faults or work out where it is coming from. Just seems to be on the pelmet itself (top bunk) above the window. With a storm forcast for Sunday I am feeling a tad nervous.
View attachment 42578
We had a similar leak on out 16 expanda and it was one of the screws being too long that hold down the pop top vinyl and no silastic on it

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We had a similar leak on out 16 expanda and it was one of the screws being too long that hold down the pop top vinyl and no silastic on it
Thanks. I am hoping it is something simple like that. I thought it might be condensation from the top being closed at handover but it got bigger after some more rain.