Just Browsing First van

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Well there is me the missus and our 12 year old daughter, drive a Prado 120 petrol and we would mostly stay in van parks but not opposed to a couple of days here and there of the out and about. We like a bit of space to move around but also like to sit back and relax. I'm not really sure what else to tell you, but maybe this info helps :)

personally, I would suggest the 16' before the 18'
only because your new at this game, (although, maybe you have been hiring 20' vans for your holidays - dunno)
and towing a popup Van is NOT like towing a trailer..............

you could try and ask @dagree what his fuel consumption is while towing his 18', but he wont be honest, he drives a Playdoh and calls it a Land Cruiser........
shhheeeesh, talk about deceiving oneself............

as you say, your not adverse to tying free camping, so getting the most Solar you can for your coin is a good thing

when I think some more, I will be back.................

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
you could try and ask @dagree what his fuel consumption is while towing his 18', but he wont be honest, he drives a Playdoh
Hey @Wazza ... Just reread your original post. I would go the 16' as the Playdoh (As @bigcol calls it) will tow it just fine as we started off with the 16' before upgrading to the 17' (Not 18' bigcol!!!!!!!).

Honestly the Prado would struggle with an 18 and if going Outback I would be very surprised if it had an ATM weight of less than 2500KG? Our 17.56.2OB has an ATM of 2433KG and the Prado tows it OK but like most other vehicles does feel the hilly areas!

The only time I have checked consumption was with a combination of towing and not towing.... Averaged 18-19/100litres (V6 Petrol).

Reactions: Crusty181

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If buying new go the external table...or it can be added later but won't match the decals on the van.

Also. ESC is great a real safety feature. The difference it makes to towing is well worth it.

Van will come premiered for solar but much simpler to get it fitted in build. 150 panel will keep you going easily.

Battery of course.

We have the 16 and love it. I certainly wouldn't go any bigger/ heavier if towing with Prado.

We can always add more ( and expensive ) suggestions. The sky is the limit.

Reactions: dagree

Wazza

Oct 5, 2015
Perth
Some interesting comments, thanks everyone. I have had a look at the 18' now and actually prefer the 17' I think it actually has more room. I think the 16' is too small for us but yeah I am a little concerned about the weight issues. I have definitely realised that buying a caravan is not something you do over a weekend or two but after a lot of research and thought about many different aspects of how you will use it, when you will use it and who will use it. So based on that I will continue to look at vans, and this forum for more ideas until I think I know everything (even though I won't) then finally make a decision with lots of compromise o_O

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey Crusty. Before what?

Sorry no idea. I was complaining about predictive text...frustrating when it changes my mind before I know it needs to be changed.

And the Edup bit? I've been struggling with trying to sort this out. Now admitted defeat.

On to life before annoyances take over.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hey @Wazza welcome aboard and as you can see it doesnt take long to get a gang of us getting on here to help you spend your money. One thing I can help you with is that unless you want to upgrade your "Playdoh" (sorry @dagree just following @bigcol's lead), the 18.58.2 will be out of the question. They have been coming in at 2600+kg with an empty ball mass of 200kg, even my 18.58.1OB is at 2529kg, these limits would be to close and beyond of what the Playdoh is legally capable of.

So 17.56.2 would be a great option for you, we have a 7 year old little girl and when we are away she meets friends and we end up with 5 kids in the van. For me personally the 16 was just a little to tight for those rainy days when the kids want to be in the van. I have pasted my extras list that I had ordered with our 17.56.1OB which turned into a 18.58.1OB

-Hot water service (standard in 17.56.2)
-External shower
-Light over the shower
-Extra water tank (standard in 17.56.2)
-Extra gas bottle (standard in 17.56.2)
-Drifter control panel
-Picnic table
-Extended draw bar
-Show pack (Fusion sound system, windup aerial, TV)
-Extra double powerpoint to L/H side of kitchen bench
If your not looking at getting an Outback you will need an external gas bayonet for your BBQ on the list too

Az

18.58.2OB Plate
18.58.2 plate.jpg

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Don't you start @AzHaych :p

@Wazza one thing I failed to mention (and ask) was that if you are definitely looking at the Outback (New with Jtech suspension) be careful as most are over the 2,500kg ATM! We were lucky as ours was built on a 2013 chassis and has the good old solid axle with leaf springs!

Reactions: bigcol and AzHaych