Just Browsing First van

Wazza

Oct 5, 2015
Perth
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and joined because people here seem to know what they are talking about.
Wife & I are looking to buy our first van and have decided a Jayco expanda pop top is what we want, probably the 18.58-2OB. When deciding on extras, what kind of things should we consider?

Reactions: dagree and Delano

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and joined because people here seem to know what they are talking about.
Wife & I are looking to buy our first van and have decided a Jayco expanda pop top is what we want, probably the 18.58-2OB. When deciding on extras, what kind of things should we consider?
Hi @Wazza and welcome to the forum and the pending launch into the caravan fraternity. Post up some detail of your tow vehicle, family dynamics, camping style (c/parks or Independant), and the hordes will decend shortly with all manner of suggestions to part you from your cash

Wazza

Oct 5, 2015
Perth
Thanks for the welcome
New or second hand, that is the question. We started looking at 2nd hand but being a little fussy we had trouble finding what we wanted, or one in a good condition (some people just don't care), so we started to look at new and very much like the expanda pop top 18.58-2OB.
There is obviously a reasonable price to pay for new and extras only add to that price, so trying to get some ideas about extras we should consider.
Also would like to know how long people keep their vans before upgrading, do they trade or sell privately, if I buy new and upgrade in 5-7 years how much could I expect to loose over that time?
A lot to ask I know, but I like to have a little info before I jump into this type of thing, so any and all info welcome.
Thanks in advance

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Get lots of power and 12v points. Like in a house......you can never have enough. Also got a bigger solar panel (150 instead of 120) and the 2 door bigger fridge (not sure if you can have those in a pop top though). Plus, if you have kids and want to install an extra tv, maybe get them to reinforce the wall where you want it to go. Saves having to troubleshoot it yourself. I'm sure there's heaps more that others will say.
We sold our swan as we out grew it. Had it for 5 years and if we only had 2 kids, we probably would have kept it longer. But instead, we got 4 kids and needed the massive van.....hence the panda wagon. We ended up selling privately for $7000 more than what caravanland was going to give us. Could have sold it for more as it sold within 24 hours of listing it on gumtree. We got $5000 less than what we paid for it, which I think is pretty good , as the van had travelled about 50 000 km and still had the original tyres on it.

Corey MacDonald

Sep 14, 2015
Whyalla SA
When we bought our expanda 17.56.1 only extras we considered at the time was external shower and the hot water service, we bought a bike rack for the van ( towball sort ) for $20 at a house sale and welded it on to the back bar. Kids loved the fact that the bikes could come with us, i guess in the end its what you plan on using your van for. Other things i would like now would be another battery and a couple more panels for free ⛺camping , anything more i think i will be over weight and need to buy a new 4wd. sounds like a plan

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Welcome @Wazza ,
We're reasonably new to the Expanda world, had ours just over 12 months now.
Very happy with the purchase and as @Smirke said option up more power points
and usb sockets to bed ends extended drawbar, waterproof bed ends covers .

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @Wazza
you have done a lot of thinking on the new V's 2nd hand obviously
now comes the next hard decision
how will I use it?
when will I use it?
how often will I be using it?

as @Crusty181 said, if you can give us a little more info about yourselves
yourself & partner & 6 kids,
using a Suzuki Mighty Boy to tow with (great fuel economy),
live in the bush outside Meeka, so all trips will be to town (Geraldton) caravan parks
(we like to know these things, not cause we are nosy buggers ofcourse..............)
we like to know where you live
how many in the family
is the yard big enough for a State get together
is the kitchen big enough to feed all of us while we are there
do you have long arms and short pockets,
or
short arms and long pockets
what will you be using to tow with
how do you plan on storing it

you get the idea..............

otherwise, we could tell you the benefits of doing every conceivable mod known to man to a Van........... and not all of them will be helpful

as @Smirke has said though
upgrade the solar - if you plan on doing free camping
upgrade the batteries - if you plan on free camping
as many power points as you can possibly think of

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
so cough up some more info about ya'all..........

and we can (as a combined effort) help you...............
with Pro's and Con's of whatever

Wazza

Oct 5, 2015
Perth
Well there is me the missus and our 12 year old daughter, drive a Prado 120 petrol and we would mostly stay in van parks but not opposed to a couple of days here and there of the out and about. We like a bit of space to move around but also like to sit back and relax. I'm not really sure what else to tell you, but maybe this info helps :)

Reactions: Delano

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Another thing to add to your collection @Wazza are the anti-flap kit similar to the aussie traveller ones. Very handy for the awning in windy conditions even without annex walls fitted. Can be bought after you get the van!

Reactions: bigcol and Delano