Just Browsing First time owner I have questions

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I had a good look at the pigtail going over to the passenger side bottle. It seems to have no support and has no flexibility. There are no loops in the run.
Is this how they come out of the factory? If it was me, I would be replacing that run.

cheers
Mike

rags

@Boots in Action @Drover Yea I feel this will be essential later when I do more free camping on longer trips but the only unpowered site ill be visiting soon will be El questro in April on a non powered site for 6 days in total so if I can keep both bottles full up to that point then I should be right its just knowing whats full and whats half full i might have to weigh them as you mentioned.
You could fit at least one 9kg bottle if you fit a support frame off to the side of the apex but it would have to be beefed up (see photos).
My Tug is a 2013 GXL Prado.

View attachment 62863View attachment 62864

If you end up getting work done on the gas cylinders I would also suggest that the regulator is raised to both comply and to prevent possible future issues. The regulator inlet should be higher than the bottle outlet. I would also suggest abandon the pigtail connection to the left side bottle as it is looking for trouble from a stray rock.
It appears from the photos that some angle cleats have been welded onto the Aframe to support the cylinders and touch up with silver frost paint. Not sure if it was original from Jayco factory.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The flexi hoses are inexpensive, have a life of about 5 yrs available most hardware shops....you can carry the 9kg in a milk crate, keeps them safe, of course use the bung in the valve.....while vibration can split the copper, poor quality flexi hoses the inner section can degrade and cause blockage with age or exposure....

Great advice there @Drover. The milk crate is certainly a great and SAFE way to cart them around. I do that when transporting the empty gas cylinders around to get re-filled. No rolling around and no tie-down problems and kept upright too. Most 9kg cylinders fit but I have found that some are a bit too wide (stubbier??) and some milk crates are just a bit too narrow.
I changed the copper pig tail gas lead on my Penguin to flexible lines and that enabled me to insert a two way tap in line and also kept the gas valve above the top of cylinders (1 X 8.5kg and 1 X 4.0kg). Noted what you said about degradation of the inner section of flexible gas lines. I bought my gas leads/two way tap from a GAS fitting shop specializing in gas leads for all types and all lengths, so hopefully, the quality is good. Fortunately, my flexible gas lines are fully enclosed in the front boot and not open to the weather, which should help them last a bit longer, but I will now keep an eye out for any problems with them. Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I use the milk crate to ID the fat bottle when I do a swap, loose fit good, tight fit I don't want it, while they fit in my rack it means I have to readjust.

Troy Foz

Feb 25, 2019
Darwin
If you end up getting work done on the gas cylinders I would also suggest that the regulator is raised to both comply and to prevent possible future issues. The regulator inlet should be higher than the bottle outlet. I would also suggest abandon the pigtail connection to the left side bottle as it is looking for trouble from a stray rock.
It appears from the photos that some angle cleats have been welded onto the Aframe to support the cylinders and touch up with silver frost paint. Not sure if it was original from Jayco factory.

The one on the passenger side was fitted by Jayco in Darwin before I bought it as it had a crack in it.

Troy Foz

Feb 25, 2019
Darwin
So I went away on the weekend in the van everything ran pretty smooth except the fridge as there was a period of about 8 or so hours when the temp went up im not sure what to but things were chilled sort of but not cold.
It was running on AC and I moved it over to gas which I was told by another Expanda owner in the park it runs more efficient on gas also I was running on max setting and i moved it to 5.
Initially I was thinking there was something wrong with the fridge or maybe running the air con and fridge at the same time wasn't good but have since done some research and it seems this is a universal issue.
People have mentioned fitting aftermarket fans to the two vents for cooling and extracting heat but this seems like quite a task for a beginner.

any ideas??

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Common problem which has been covered in a number of threads but can be a pain to find, firstly read the installation manual for the fridge, if none in van you can get it online just google model number, once you have read it remove the outside vents and look inside to see if the thing is fitted properly, namely the the top of the fridge should be enclosed, you should only see the back of the fridge, a baffle plate should be fitted so the hot air is directed out the top vent and the sides should be sealed, no gaps along with any cable runs, many you can find allow the hot air to swirl around in empty spaces even escape thru unsealed cable runs into cupboards, this also lets in dust, the air should come in at the bottom pass over the cooling fins and out the top, it will be quite warm behind there around 60-70 deg so don't be alarmed, thats normal, fitment of a fan is easy most times and greatly enhances the operation of the fridge, fitting a shade over the side wall also helps ....... it is also wise to run fridge on 240 for a day before use to get the whole cabinet cooled down, try to keep the thing nearly full also helps BUT don't use it for drinks and keep kids away or it will never stay cold... I keep my beer in an Engel.

I'll see if I can find a write up on doing the fridge fan...........some go to great lengths but I just sikaflex them to the vent now and fit a switch..............

Bit on mods for my old 14.44 ..... https://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/

Troy Foz

Feb 25, 2019
Darwin
Common problem which has been covered in a number of threads but can be a pain to find, firstly read the installation manual for the fridge, if none in van you can get it online just google model number, once you have read it remove the outside vents and look inside to see if the thing is fitted properly, namely the the top of the fridge should be enclosed, you should only see the back of the fridge, a baffle plate should be fitted so the hot air is directed out the top vent and the sides should be sealed, no gaps along with any cable runs, many you can find allow the hot air to swirl around in empty spaces even escape thru unsealed cable runs into cupboards, this also lets in dust, the air should come in at the bottom pass over the cooling fins and out the top, it will be quite warm behind there around 60-70 deg so don't be alarmed, thats normal, fitment of a fan is easy most times and greatly enhances the operation of the fridge, fitting a shade over the side wall also helps ....... it is also wise to run fridge on 240 for a day before use to get the whole cabinet cooled down, try to keep the thing nearly full also helps BUT don't use it for drinks and keep kids away or it will never stay cold... I keep my beer in an Engel.

I'll see if I can find a write up on doing the fridge fan...........some go to great lengths but I just sikaflex them to the vent now and fit a switch..............

Bit on mods for my old 14.44 ..... https://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/

Thanks as usual @Drover Yes ive been searching for the thread for a while with no luck. I wont be keeping beer in there as im looking into another fridge but as you are aware there's no avoiding general usage f the fridge we did leave it closed for about 5 hours and it slowly started to get cooler but on gas.
it runs no problem all day and night whist in storage its just once we start using it on site we have issues.
ill go have a look inside as per your instruction.

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hey @Boots in Action can recall a good write up on fitting fridge fans ????? I'm sure theres one on here but can't find it .

Yes @Drover and @Troy Foz , I have been away off grid and have "field results" after my previous problem. As you know @Drover , some of the ideas I have successfully incorporated for better operation of my Thetford 92 L fridge originated from your self, especially the thermostatic control for the exterior fans. @Troy Foz , one very, very important point in operating a heat absorption fridge is to make sure the FRIDGE is "level". By "level" means within 3 degrees of vertical side to side looking at front of fridge (draw bar to rear of van) and within 6 degrees of vertical top to bottom (across the width of van). Outside these limits, the liquid ammonia (refrigerant) is not abbe to flow around cooling tubes and if continued for long periods causes a buildup of chemical crystals which eventually block the cooling tubes. I will go back and find the posts on this subject and also how I made SIMPLE modifications to improve the operation of my fridge even in very hot conditions.

Troy Foz

Feb 25, 2019
Darwin
Yes @Drover and @Troy Foz , I have been away off grid and have "field results" after my previous problem. As you know @Drover , some of the ideas I have successfully incorporated for better operation of my Thetford 92 L fridge originated from your self, especially the thermostatic control for the exterior fans. @Troy Foz , one very, very important point in operating a heat absorption fridge is to make sure the FRIDGE is "level". By "level" means within 3 degrees of vertical side to side looking at front of fridge (draw bar to rear of van) and within 6 degrees of vertical top to bottom (across the width of van). Outside these limits, the liquid ammonia (refrigerant) is not abbe to flow around cooling tubes and if continued for long periods causes a buildup of chemical crystals which eventually block the cooling tubes. I will go back and find the posts on this subject and also how I made SIMPLE modifications to improve the operation of my fridge even in very hot conditions.

Thanks @Boots in Action once we usually finalize our final destination we check levels of the fridge with a spirit level so hopefully we are all good there its a matter of "training" the missus to use the spirit level :).
Im fitting a fan for air circulation of Wednesday Jayco are fitting one as im struggling for time and for $180 why not I will also be adding extra insulation to the top of the fridge.

Reactions: Drover