Starcraft First ever van 17.58-3

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Congrats on the purchase - we've got a 17.58-3 as well and very happy with it.

The lovely Mrs Fabulous said that ESC was a no brainer and has already helped us out in a near miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: LivingTheDream
Feb 2, 2015
Congrats on the purchase - we've got a 17.58-3 as well and very happy with it.

The lovely Mrs Fabulous said that ESC was a no brainer and has alread helped us out in a near miss.
ESC added Happy wife happy life. After getting the run around from other dealers and some dodgy stories, Dealing with Adelaide Jayco has been awesome being a first time caravan buyer I have prob asked dumb questions and lots of them but peter our salesman has been unreal and I think our price is very competitive to. Can anyone tell me if I want to free camp and park the van in the shade will I need a solar provisional plug to hook up a portable solar panel to top up batteries

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I would guess, it depends on how long you are parked up
and
how much shade you are parked under

I am not sure how long the factory fitted batteries last under "normal" conditions
I think there is a few people who do alot of free camping on here, they may pop in and give a better explanation (I hope)
@Drover - any suggestions????

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
Congrats! We have a 17.58-3 - picked ours up in December last year. Is a great van. We tow with a Prado and it needs the WDH - really levels things out nicely. FYI most models we saw had the spare wheel on the A-frame (or whatever it is called up front!) but ours had it on the back... As far as I can tell there is no rhyme or reason as to why they put it on the front or back.

BTW I got my WDH from a mob in QLD that was selling Reese hitches - they are apparently identical to the Hayman Reese ones - made in the same factory - but are cheaper because they don't have the brand "Hayman" on them (I believe Hayman merged with or acquired Reese?). If you are interested I can find the website and pass it on.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
As per @bigcol said depends how much sunlight. But the modern van with three way fridge uses very little power. We have two 100ah batteries and am seriously considering ditching one. Especially if I am getting close to payload when I finish the mods. Id rather carry an extra 50litres of water than an extra 100ah of battery.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Congrats! We have a 17.58-3 - picked ours up in December last year. Is a great van. We tow with a Prado and it needs the WDH - really levels things out nicely. FYI most models we saw had the spare wheel on the A-frame (or whatever it is called up front!) but ours had it on the back... As far as I can tell there is no rhyme or reason as to why they put it on the front or back.

We got both, it was like $200 for an extra rim and tyre

Reactions: 17triton
Feb 2, 2015
about to sign off on plans for van. I don't think I've missed anything. but being our first van not knowing what to expect or what we will need.

Reactions: relgate
Feb 2, 2015
LOL. The first van's purpose is to help you work out what you need! By the second or third van you'll have it just right!
Ahh that sounds painful going onto third van it's been hard enough getting the first until we spoke to Adelaide Jayco. Technically this is our third thanks to some lying salesman telling us we could tow a van over our cars maximum weight and
we would never get a 2015 model it's the most popular van on the market LOL. The next move for us hopefully will be a Ranger or a BT-50

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
a guy I am working with at the moment just brought the Isuzu MU-X
he is very very happy with it
I have to get him to give me a complete run down on it......

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Is it only the price that makes the
BT-50 better or have I missed something. It seems by the time I make the Mazda the car I want I could have brought a ranger
Horses for courses. When i bought mine it was an easy $10k cheaper then the ranger (At that time an auto ranger was hard to get so dealers weren't discounting) Go the bt50 GT. But then again im biased...

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
BT-50 better or have I missed something. It seems by the time I make the Mazda the car I want I could have brought a ranger
It's a no brainer, the BT has a face only a mother could love...... :)
image.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

Yeah there the same , built in the same shed but the blue oval ford badge works like Brocky's famous polariser in reverse, and you start getting reliability issues, turbo pipes blowing off, shonky gearboxes etc.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yeah there the same , built in the same shed but the blue oval ford badge works like Brocky's famous polariser in reverse, and you start getting reliability issues, turbo pipes blowing off, shonky gearboxes etc.
Lol. Strangly seems the ranger has had more issues than the Mazda. I heard a theory that it is because there are more Rangers on the road ( so more reported problems ) i wonder if that is the case

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Lol. Strangly seems the ranger has had more issues than the Mazda. I heard a theory that it is because there are more Rangers on the road ( so more reported problems ) i wonder if that is the case

You would have to think that's it. I don't mind the BT looks but a jacked up ranger with black bonnet and big muddies would have to be one of the hottest looking fourbies on the road IMO. Pure redneck for me.

Reactions: relgate