Starcraft First ever van 17.58-3

Feb 2, 2015
Hi all
We have recently placed our order for a 17.58-3 OB after 2 years of talking ourselves out of spending the money and a bad experience with a Jayco salesman who could probably tell i am new to this game. We live in WA but purchased a bit further to the east because of a considerable price difference. We added a few things one item im not even sure what it is and the dealers could not even tell me what it is, (Tv sensor pro) we also added Wind up antenna - External shower with light above, roof air, fusion premium, 150L fridge, bed converter, increase A frame, coast control panel, picnic table, 16inch wheels, tv/dvd on arm, and upgraded solar from 120w to 150w. We are very excited and counting the days to pick up. We were restricted in type of van because of $$$ and our 4wds tow capacity at 2500kg. Not sure if we got a good deal or not so many different prices for exact same product. Have other questions like do i need a weight distribution hitch, will the jockey wheel be in the way if so. How much is 16inch wheel upgrade and what is tv sensor pro. and have i missed anything. We will be doing a few small trips after pick up and the big lap late November.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi all
We have recently placed our order for a 17.58-3 OB after 2 years of talking ourselves out of spending the money and a bad experience with a Jayco salesman who could probably tell i am new to this game. We live in WA but purchased a bit further to the east because of a considerable price difference. We added a few things one item im not even sure what it is and the dealers could not even tell me what it is, (Tv sensor pro) we also added Wind up antenna - External shower with light above, roof air, fusion premium, 150L fridge, bed converter, increase A frame, coast control panel, picnic table, 16inch wheels, tv/dvd on arm, and upgraded solar from 120w to 150w. We are very excited and counting the days to pick up. We were restricted in type of van because of $$$ and our 4wds tow capacity at 2500kg. Not sure if we got a good deal or not so many different prices for exact same product. Have other questions like do i need a weight distribution hitch, will the jockey wheel be in the way if so. How much is 16inch wheel upgrade and what is tv sensor pro. and have i missed anything. We will be doing a few small trips after pick up and the big lap late November.
welcome to what I call the expander collective a group of people who love there vans places they go and ideas they have
outside tv point is good take tv outside on a nice night

Reactions: LivingTheDream
Feb 2, 2015
I love all the mods and info this site has. we dont know anyone with a caravan so its magazines and this forum for us. for some reason it has got us interested and its all we talk about lately

Feb 2, 2015
congrats on new van @LivingTheDream .. light above shower a good pickup did not think. no idea TV sensor pro sorry.
depends on car with WDH we cannot use it with the Disco.. Did you get ESC I would look at adding if you have not for peace of mind.
I gather your seen the 17-58 threads here put some new pics up today..
Thanks davemc I got the idea for light above outside shower off this forum some where. Was running out of cash to add esc any idea how much it costs. and did you happen to see how much a 17.58-3 ob was going for at the show

Feb 2, 2015
hiya and welcome to the forum @LivingTheDream
another west aussie eh.... kewl

where abouts in WA are you??
do please have a look at the WA meeting section - http://www.expandasdownunder.com/forums/wa-meets-member-section.22/

we like to try and organize a meeting up every now and again

this is a great forum (credit to @expanda and the Forum moderators) with plenty of ideas for you

cheers
We are about an hour south of Perth Def be looking for a catch up we are new to this and will have a million questions. We have 3 months until van is built hope it goes quick

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @LivingTheDream from another "Sandgroper"
Can't help with what a TV Sensor Pro is but my guess????? Would be the antenna booster plug? It's the size of a house GPO with a 12V plug and a small switch to turn the antenna booster on with antenna plugs in behind it! Usually fitted with the wingaurd antennas.

We are currently away at Busselton and a neighbour two bays down is a Caravanland salesman. If I remember in the morning (or afternoon depending if the fish are bighting) will ask him and see if we can answer your querie!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
G'day living the dream. Sounds like a great van you've ordered. I used to have a Terracan and yes you will need weight distribution, particularly if you don't have the Trek and Tow pack fitted ex factory. The jockey wheel will only be in the way when connecting one side bar. I used to leave the wheel on and connect one side, then remove to fit the second bar.

When I went through the process of pricing up a new van not long ago, the 16" wheel upgrade was around $500 all up and increases your ground clearance.

Feb 2, 2015
Welcome to the forum @LivingTheDream from another "Sandgroper"
Can't help with what a TV Sensor Pro is but my guess????? Would be the antenna booster plug? It's the size of a house GPO with a 12V plug and a small switch to turn the antenna booster on with antenna plugs in behind it! Usually fitted with the wingaurd antennas.

We are currently away at Busselton and a neighbour two bays down is a Caravanland salesman. If I remember in the morning (or afternoon depending if the fish are bighting) will ask him and see if we can answer your querie!
How good is this forum getting lots of answers, we'll if that means I get more live sport with better reception I like it. I just made a list of extras for the van and said to the salesman this is how much money I have. We was at busselton last weekend for the jetty swim I could defiantly live there very nice spot

Feb 2, 2015
G'day living the dream. Sounds like a great van you've ordered. I used to have a Terracan and yes you will need weight distribution, particularly if you don't have the Trek and Tow pack fitted ex factory. The jockey wheel will only be in the way when connecting one side bar. I used to leave the wheel on and connect one side, then remove to fit the second bar.

When I went through the process of pricing up a new van not long ago, the 16" wheel upgrade was around $500 all up and increases your ground clearance.
Hi crackacoldie we are currently getting quotes and info
for our suspension upgrade if I get the upgrade right will I still need the wdh or does it not matter and I will need it anyways.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Hi crackacoldie we are currently getting quotes and info
for our suspension upgrade if I get the upgrade right will I still need the wdh or does it not matter and I will need it anyways.
Once you have the suspension done and get the van, hitch up and see how it looks and feels, that will be the decider. Sorry, probably doesn't help much.

Pac1977

Feb 19, 2012
Welcome @LivingTheDream , you will love your new Starcraft. We have the same van (non outback). The Sensar pro is a fancy TV Signal amplifier and signal finder, considered one for ours but did I not get it in the end.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Congrats @LivingTheDream what a wonderful choice of models, you must be a very intelligent and clever person??

Iirc the sensor pro was an elaborate booster. The 16"s are great upgrade in my opinion I think they were $660. But you don't get the white lettering which may or may not upset you depending on whether your an old bodgy or not!

The ball weight is not very high on that model, ours is plated at 130-165kg so on the cruiser a WDh would just be a hinderance but I don't know terricans so I would suggest you listen to @crackacoldie or others with experience.

ESC well I have it but am in two minds, it's a $1000 with van more $$$ after. I think it will be a sort after thing for resale, if that floats your boat. I have seen the videos etc but being the sort of dickhead Iam when away last I tried swaying the van up to see if it would kick in and it didn't to my knowledge. I wasn't game to go too far as I am a pilot (or was) and it was always while trying to simulate an emergency that it went wrong and rarely when you reacted to the emergency naturally, if that makes sense.

I hope it works and hope I never have to find out. Good luck there is a great thread on the van with plenty of reading.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2015
Wow
Congrats @LivingTheDream what a wonderful choice of models, you must be a very intelligent and clever person??

Iirc the sensor pro was an elaborate booster. The 16"s are great upgrade in my opinion I think they were $660. But you don't get the white lettering which may or may not upset you depending on whether your an old bodgy or not!

The ball weight is not very high on that model, ours is plated at 130-165kg so on the cruiser a WDh would just be a hinderance but I don't know terricans so I would suggest you listen to @crackacoldie or others with experience.

ESC well I have it but am in two minds, it's a $1000 with van more $$$ after. I think it will be a sort after thing for resale, if that floats your boat. I have seen the videos etc but being the sort of dickhead Iam when away last I tried swaying the van up to see if it would kick in and it didn't to my knowledge. I wasn't game to go too far as I am a pilot (or was) and it was always while trying to simulate an emergency that it went wrong and rarely when you reacted to the emergency naturally, if that makes sense.

I hope it works and hope I never have to find out. Good luck there is a great thread on the van with plenty of reading.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the info much appreciated, I borrowed a Vic Widman book on seeing Australia and he said Get 16inch Wheels you won't regret it so I did. Might wait to see How set up looks before wdh gets a run. I have watched the Video on esc and the driver does give it a good crack when he has no esc connected. But I think the wife doesn't trust me and is looking into it

Reactions: achjimmy and bigcol