VIC First caravan park

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
We are in the process of purchasing our first caravan, a 17.56-1, and can't wait to go on our first trip.

What would be a good caravan park for our first visit? I don't want to travel too far away from home (we live near the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria) and I probably need a park with decent size sites so I don't get into too much trouble backing in! :)

The other complication is that we should take delivery just before Christmas, so I assume many of the popular parks are already full.

Thanks for your suggestions.

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi Additup ,congrats on the new van and joining the forum :) We just received our van and like you wanted the maiden trip to be an unstressful event and not to far away ,we live in Langwarrin (Frankston) and went to Inverloch RACV resort ,I dont have a lot of experience being new at camping but the resort was amazing , they have a huge indoor pool, very update camp kitchen ,heated floors in the showers ,plenty of play grounds for the kids including jumping pillows ,the sites are concreted large and private plus theres plenty see and do around Inverloch once your set up you can always drive around to the POI, can't say enough about the place ,Ok mate good luck and enjoy your new toy :)
Cheers

Reactions: AddItUp

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Thanks @jed RACV Inverloch sounds fantastic and that's where we wanted to go too, but they are booked right up until the end of January. Now we have to sort out a Plan B... :)

Last edited:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We live in the Mornington Peninsula. Have stayed at Big 4 Inverloch so that's not too far. If you want a relaxing trip to begin. Drive to Sorrento, ferry to Queenscliff, and a short drive to Barwon Heads Caravan Park. They will even back your van on site for you. It is a huge park, however popular in summer. Doesn't matter where you want to go, but if its for Christmas to Aust Day. My tip! Book ASAP and enjoy. We booked last year and didn't have a van.

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi maccayak sounds good mate but was wonduring how much do they charge you for the ferry?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Cant really remember cost, it will be on their website. If you do the early bird special, your caravan goes across cheap, but its over $100. For us its a relaxing way to get there. Better than the westgate and tunnel in peak hour. That's not enjoyable!!

jed

May 16, 2013
Cant really remember cost, it will be on their website. If you do the early bird special, your caravan goes across cheap, but its over $100. For us its a relaxing way to get there. Better than the westgate and tunnel in peak hour. That's not enjoyable!!
Small price to pay for being relaxed when you arrive and your already that close to the ferry ,makes sence :
cheers :

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Thanks very much for the suggestion @maccayak We hadn't thought about going across on the ferry. We'll do a little research.

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
We too are in Mnt Martha. Parks in Inverloch are good. RACV is great. Regular for us. The Bellarine Big 4 at Ocean Grove is also fantastic. Did our trial run there first. Drove across to iron out bugs then returned by ferry....

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Thanks @Izzya123 I'm not too keen driving the Monash and tunnels first time out, so something to the east would be better, or possibly the ferry. Have you stayed at the Big 4 at Inverloch?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
There is a bit of a write up here.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/inverloch.496/

We stayed there exactly 12 months ago. It was a good clean park, the best thing about it was the heated indoor swimming pool. Great for the kids. There is also a council type foreshore caravan park right next door which is right on the coast. Lovely park, just your usual foreshore facilities, very similar to Rosebud foreshore. That park is also managed by the big 4 one.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Towing on the freeways and tunnels isn't too bad if you avoid the heavy traffic periods. With a big van on the back people tend to keep out of your way.

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Great write up @maccayak , thanks for the info. The small sites sound a bit of a worry, are they any bigger towards the back of the park?

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Once we're on the road, I'm sure we'll be ok @Adam G , it's just the thought of the traffic etc at the moment that has me a little worried. Nothing that a little experience won't fix.

jed

May 16, 2013
Just take it slow and easy Additup try to enjoy the drive dont worry whos behind you just worry about whats up front ,not that I have alot of experiance I dont and am very much like you but once I did that maiden drive I felt people respected that you have alot of weight your towing and they just go around you when they can and of course when the chance comes you move over so they can get by ,We went to the RACV park partly because of its ratings and I knew that a lot of the drive was on a two lane hyway lololol not a bad drive at all . I hope you find a place close by soon Cheers mate

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
Thanks @Izzya123 I'm not too keen driving the Monash and tunnels first time out, so something to the east would be better, or possibly the ferry. Have you stayed at the Big 4 at Inverloch?
Stayed there prior to it being a Big 4. From all accounts everyone I know who has stayed there have enjoyed it. We stay at the RACV when in Inverloch. Have stayed at the foreshore next to Big 4 which is a good park but twice now have dealt with rude, arrogant staff so won't return on principle, but others like it.