Toy Hauler Feedback please - Work n Play Crossed with Expanda Sport

Smallymatt

Oct 11, 2013
High All
I am only new to this website but have been reading a lot of interesting forums here. You guys obviously love your vans.
Would like to hear what you think about this - Aussie made action van / toy hauler 16 ft pop top. Imagine a Work n Play crossed with a Expanda Sport, similar looking to the Expanda Sport, but set out like a work n play, but with slide out external kitchen and external shower / toilet ensuite. Tare weight of about 1200 - 1500 kg depending on add-ons. A little bit more off road focus than an ' Jayco Outback' ie bigger axles, independent suspension with dual shocks, stone guard, tregg hitch.
Currently have a hard floor camper (towed with Prado), but have been considering a work n play for a while, but don't want a full size van, so have been looking for alternatives. Expanda sport looks the goods, compact and easy to tow, but not enough room for mine and the kids dirt bikes..(and kids)
I think what I've described above would appeal to families with kids and bikes like me, but also couples with quads, canoes, jetski's or even Harleys?
Your thoughts?

Smallymatt

Oct 11, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I know I can have one built out of Melbourne (I am in Sydney), but just looking to get opinions from other like minded people
Although what I described would suit my needs perfectly, Im hesitant to outlay big $ for something I may not be able to sell later if I needed to, if there is only a small niche demand or interest, hence trying to get a feel for how popular something like that would be...?
Looks like Work n Play popularity is growing, but if people are like me they may not want to tow a full size van, particularly if they go off the beaten track a bit.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
:welcome>:(Smallymatt . I was originally looking at a custom van which would have been more of a crossover between a soft floor and a caravan, but in the end, I didn't want to be left with something that would be difficult to sell at a later date. I went with a 17.56 in the end as it gave me a great van with excellent resale.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Hey Matt

Just wondering what is inside the van apart from bedding if Kitchen and toilet shower is external?

Sounds like the 17ft WorknPlay would be your ideal van if it was a poptop!

Look forward to seeing what you end up with!

Smallymatt

Oct 11, 2013
Hamish22, inside the van is double bed, 2 x drop down single and table, 150 ltr fridge and cupboards / drawers etc (much like a 14ft w n p without the kitchen), and yes a w n p pop top would be the go, but would like it to shed some weight and toughen up a bit.
We don't go off roading, but some of the places we go to ride and camp are a bit rough to get to at times....

Soaring - do you carry toys? our good friends have a 17ft expanda pop top but had to buy a dual cab to carry toys....

Smallymatt

Oct 11, 2013
thanks Soaring, I agree with you, the benefits of having a van that's got a recognisable brand and is mass produced are hard to ignore. Its a pity that what Im after doesn't exist in Aus at the moment, I think there would be a lot of people out there with the same wish list..

Grano n play

Apr 18, 2013
Perth W.A
image.jpg image.jpg I agree totally, there would be a huge market for more toy hauler options, as we only really have 2 at the moment. I bought a WnP recently, after looking for months on different sites in aus. And imports, and always found myself back at jayco. Even drew some plans up to make my own, but with basic welding skills was abit overwhelmed with the idea. So found myself back at jayco, don't get me wrong very happy, but more options would have been nice. My brother in law bit the bullet and made his own, can just about fit a car in it, fits his buggy in nicely, he built the van around the buggy.

Last edited:

Walks

Sep 15, 2013
Melbourne
View attachment 18092 View attachment 18091 I agree totally, there would be a huge market for more toy hauler options, as we only really have 2 at the moment. I bought a WnP recently, after looking for months on different sites in aus. And imports, and always found myself back at jayco. Even drew some plans up to make my own, but with basic welding skills was abit overwhelmed with the idea. So found myself back at jayco, don't get me wrong very happy, but more options would have been nice. My brother in law bit the bullet and made his own, can just about fit a car in it, fits his buggy in nicely, he built the van around the buggy.

Ditto.

I've looked around at everything and toy'd with a few different options for over a year and always ended up back at the Jayco or saying "but the Jayco has this".

It holds it's value pretty well and are relativley easy to sell. I know because i was looking for a second hand one for months and there weren't any. If there had of been i would have bought one second hand;)

Quit wasting time and take the plunge. I did and i feel really good about my choice although it really was the only one i had. I pick mine up on Monday

Smallymatt

Oct 11, 2013
walks, thanks for the feedback. I know the w n p is a good option, just still bugs me that its a full van and the 17ft, is well over 2t loaded...not something I really want to be lugging around..but as you say not a lot of choice. I reckon a 14 - 16ft pop top would do really well, particularly if the GVM was under 2t and the lower tow height...
One other thing, I would prefer a pull out kitchen outside, purely because when you are camping with a group (which we almost always are), its nice to be able to cook and wash up etc and still be part of the scenery, not stuck inside. I suppose Im after the best of both worlds (camper and caravan) without any of the draw backs...not too much to ask is it???:)

Reactions: blacky

Smallymatt

Oct 11, 2013
thanks Rob and walks, trailblazer looks pretty good, but its not mass produced which again worries me about resale....
looks like a good product though...walks how would you add to or change it?

Smallymatt

Oct 11, 2013
Phil - yes I could never live with a Caria unless I too had a BT50....what were they thinking???
Maccayak - ummm, no I don't think so, Im not that handy.....

Walks

Sep 15, 2013
Melbourne
Phil - yes I could never live with a Caria unless I too had a BT50....what were they thinking???
Maccayak - ummm, no I don't think so, Im not that handy.....

Hey i don't get what you 2 are talking about with the Caria's. Can you explain please :oops: