Extended drawbar

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone know if Jayco will do an extended drawbar on a standard (non outback) 16' model? Getting close to finalizing our extras for our 16-49-4. Thought it might be handy to add a toolbox later.

Cheers Geoff

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
With the extended draw bar - on final sign off make sure you check where the gas bottles sit we checked and were OK but I have seen pictures of others who have been left with a nasty surprise as the gasbottles have been sitting out in the middle of the draw bar when they have gone to pick up - although the drawbar was extended the factory had sat the gasbottles the same distance back from the hitch as they would have been in a normal draw bar - hence making the use of the extended draw bar for the purpose of putting on boxes etc pretty useless

Gaz70

Banned
Sep 14, 2011
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
lewis expanda 001.JPGDSCN2119.JPG

above is photos of my extended drawbar....300mm is all they will extend it....i had the bottles repositioned forward to allow a 1500mm x 600mm alloy box to be mounted against the front of the van......works well, very happy with bottle placement!!!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
View attachment 7433View attachment 7434

above is photos of my extended drawbar....300mm is all they will extend it....i had the bottles repositioned forward to allow a 1500mm x 600mm alloy box to be mounted against the front of the van......works well, very happy with bottle placement!!!

Looks great. Did they reposition the bottles at the factory? If so, was there any extra cost?

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Don't forget the extended draw bar will add to your ball weight. The dealer should be able to advise you how this will change from the standard specs.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I am ordering a non outback and they are doing the extended draw bar no problems.

They do it on either outback or non outback.

View attachment 7433View attachment 7434

I love this idea but still wondering how you get to the spare in case of emergency?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
I love this idea but still wondering how you get to the spare in case of emergency?[/QUOTE]

invert the holding bolt with a wingnut arrangement, then cut out the rear support (i would put this on hinge bracket to still have the support), then slide out towards the rear of van. cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Don't forget the extended draw bar will add to your ball weight. The dealer should be able to advise you how this will change from the standard specs.

I beg to differ on this one mate, it should actually do the opposite however with only 300mm you probably won't notice it!

Cheers.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I beg to differ on this one mate, it should actually do the opposite however with only 300mm you probably won't notice it!

Cheers.

I though the same, my concept was as it was further back this would reduce the weight.

Dealer corrected me and it is adding weight to the ball weight in total about 15kg's.

This was confirmed by the factory itself by the dealer.

I was surprised to say the least :)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
spare wheel is on rear bar.....View attachment 7455

Funny thing, we are ordering a Discovery this time around which as standard has the wheel at the rear.

Where did that bar come from???

But as we are ordering a bike rack they are relocating the spare wheel to the front of the van as they do in the expanda.

We are getting the extended draw bar so I was thinking of mounting the spare standing up behind the tool box for easy access.

I noticed people said to just cut the bottom bar and use a ute style lock but I would rather not cut the A-Frame.....

Alternative is to just leave the spare on the back and opt out of the bike rack but whilst that would make me happy the kids would be screaming as they have no where for the bikes :)!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I am surprised at that also expanda, it would be interesting to measure the ball weight before and after but if I'm wrong I'll eat my words :)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I thought the same thing and that's how I sold the mod to the boss :)!!!!

I was most surprised with the answer I got as I was going to use the reduction to get a bigger motor to put on the a-frame for my boat inside a tool box :)...

I have not divulged the information to the boss yet :).....