Starcraft Expandas gone long live the Starcraft, and we finally got one!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all

Saw our van today, yep the stove, sink has been swapped and looks good, it's better IMO. Build quality was great and finish looked good, I think they are starting to hone this model in? It needs a PowerPoint somewhere on the bench top as Davemc alluded to but other than that the splash back is real smart. They have also removed the cupboard above the bed hutch.

Sadly they have omitted a heap of our options and I had to knock it back! Not all are fixable at the dealership. The dealer was good and so far has made all the right noises. We will be getting another van built or walking, but honestly after being at Avan, Novo, new age and somebody else we can't get anything like this van to suit us under 20-21ft! And I don't want a big van ( no offense to those that have 21foooters, it's just not us) so we will rejoin the queue, hopefully getting bumped up a little???

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Hi all

Saw our van today, yep the stove, sink has been swapped and looks good, it's better IMO. Build quality was great and finish looked good, I think they are starting to hone this model in? It needs a PowerPoint somewhere on the bench top as Davemc alluded to but other than that the splash back is real smart. They have also removed the cupboard above the bed hutch.

Sadly they have omitted a heap of our options and I had to knock it back! Not all are fixable at the dealership. The dealer was good and so far has made all the right noises. We will be getting another van built or walking, but honestly after being at Avan, Novo, new age and somebody else we can't get anything like this van to suit us under 20-21ft! And I don't want a big van ( no offense to those that have 21foooters, it's just not us) so we will rejoin the queue, hopefully getting bumped up a little???

Wow that is a big decision to knock it back and start again .
We too went though all the other makes of van and came back to jayco .
So we too are waiting to inspect our new Silverline hoping that all our mods are just as we wanted or we will be doing just as you did .

Reactions: 17triton

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Would be a tough call but if not getting what was wanted/orded and paying for I think I would do the same unless it was a timing matter!!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
No good at all Jimmy what did they miss? Yes most vans around 17-18 do not have fixed bunks.
What about a Journey 17.55 or we liked the New Age Bilby although they could not do an extra bunk. Mantra Ray nice although getting up there size wise at least its smaller then the 22's

Did not notice the cupboard gone over bedhead on the trading post one just looked..
Wonder why? Seems the one above the sink is bigger then the small one they had before?
6CNX-Resized640x480.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We really had to think what We could be comfortable with accepting and what we wouldn't be, with spending a fair chunk of money. I choose that I would rather the wait. I had some notice on Friday "things weren't right" but decided to sleep on it and see it yesterday. Honestly it's a "1st world problem" and other than wanting to have a week away in September to see our son it's not going to kill us. In regards to the trip the dealer has made us an offer, so let's see what Monday brings.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We really had to think what We could be comfortable with accepting and what we wouldn't be, with spending a fair chunk of money. I choose that I would rather the wait. I had some notice on Friday "things weren't right" but decided to sleep on it and see it yesterday. Honestly it's a "1st world problem" and other than wanting to have a week away in September to see our son it's not going to kill us. In regards to the trip the dealer has made us an offer, so let's see what Monday brings.
Good perspective :)

Reactions: twscoot

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Sorry to hear jimmy, would be very disappointing. Which dealer did you go through, I hope they are looking after you. This is concerning as we also have one on order, we not too fussed about a lot of things ie swapping the stove over with sink, but it does need to suit your needs. I'm sure it will be worth the (additional) wait.

halbster

May 13, 2014
Sorry to hear it Jimmy. What are those mods that are show stoppers? Is there any guarantee that they will be made correctly next time around??

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Sorry to hear it Jimmy. What are those mods that are show stoppers? Is there any guarantee that they will be made correctly next time around??

Hey mate

Basically it must be the only 17.58 in existence with a small fridge. So I am guessing they will get it right next time? The others were all either livable or fixable. So will see how we go.

Hope all goes well for you, they had moved your van on Saturday.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
you would think they could swap the fridge over and move the microwave as cupboards all the same size.. Although not sure I would want it as well if they just stuffing things up... Cannot believe why they put the drifter panel there :(

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Mate that is a tough call, but the right one i think. If it were me i would knock it back too if it was not exactly what i ordered. Like relgate, i love your perspective on it all.

Good luck with getting away in September still and hopefully they can bump you up the waiting list a bit too.

I got some photos of my 17.58.1 OB which was built in the same run (we elected for the smaller fridge as the a/c on the roof would not have fitted under the roller door).

The photos show the drifter panel in the bunk, and with 3 year old twins, I have no idea how this is going to go...i had asked the dealer where it was located, and they didn't give me an answer and i foolishly didn't chase it up. I'm annoyed about the stove/fridge swap around - i agree its in a better location, but seriously...i should have got a phone call to explain this before they built it. But the change has meant there is now a power point and cord (for the a/c) above the hotplates! I'm now asking if all my mods were done before I do the 400 km drive to pick it up. Not overly happy - I'll learn to live with the drifter where it is, but another one or two issues, i might do the same thing as you.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi mark

Sorry to hear that. The isolation power point for the A/C or microwave looks worse than it is. My advise bust the dealers balls. Tell him with two kids the drifter panel can't be there and they need to move it! As it won't be easy to do with the A/C there.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
sorry to hear Mark.. really someone needs a ass kicking about the drifter. Got through all the QC how it works although no one who was not stupid thought it was a good idea.. These bunks are for kids only so lets put something there for them to play with.. WTF......
Also how the hell can they keep swapping things around without letting people know.
If they did that with the higher sold Expanda's people would crack it.. How hard is it to ring the 50~ people in the run and talk through the changes.

We lost a window because of regs although a A/C cord hanging over a stove is fine..
Jimmy did you see if there was room to internally put that A/C plug? Then as i said before swap powerpoint with drifter. Then get them to put a double 12V where drifter is.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Gotta love the extended drawbar? Measuring up for a stonestomper, and wanted to see how it would go to move the bottles forward.

image.jpg
image.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well we finally got the 17.58-3 mk2 on Wednesday arvo!

The dealer got us into another build quite quickly. Due off line on the 5th of September, so that was to be barely three weeks. All credit to Jayco Sydney and Kathy who really worked very hard for us, we had scheduled the 12th for hand over but It didn't actually get dispatched until Tuesday the 16th! We got it Wednesday arvo Leaving us with 36 hrs to get her packed and ready. The good news is everything was done, right down to the bed light swap :) As per Jayco few issues to be sorted but very happy. Will post up a build thread as the mods started immediately as they should :amen:

Fitted the stone stomper and rubber guarding under the van for any unsealed roads. The rest of the time was spent rewriting the cruiser for the ESC as pin two is reverse on the cruiser >:(

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg