expanda issues

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
Hello everyone,
We have just booked our expanda in for its second round of warranty jobs.
Just wondering if theese are normal things that go wrong or if its to many.
awning arm broken
flick mixer tap loose
cupboard door not opening(again)
1 water tank not working (again)
peeling sticker they forgot to replace after the last lot of 6 stickers
water leaking at inlet under seat
water leaking at outlet before you put the sullage hoses on
missing tooth brush holden in toilet/shower
sink blocks up there changing a u bend or something
tv antena socket poped into housing(again)
power point surounds popping of(again)
buckled outside plastic vent
seat button popped of
jockey wheel failed(again)
gas water system slightly explodes(new housing going on)
over head doors rubbing in the middle
Thats about all i can think of at the moment
Cheers Jim/Tab and Diamond

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Shame about your problems, but i am sure they will get sorted. Although I have not got our Expanda yet it is a reminder that I should make a tool kit and get a cheap battery drill, a silicone gun and put some rolls of duct tape aside.

Good luck with your van.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
yeah i hear ya maccayak, i allways pack a toolbag, cable ties, duct tape and have never had to use it yet. i once had a transmission leaking, so i bought the seal to fix and placed it in the console till the weekend to fix the leak, wouldn't you know it the leak stopped, so i left the seal in glovebox till i sold the car. moral of the story, i guess is be prepared then in hope you'll never have to use the tooling, silicone or duct tape.cheers.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I had the Leak under the seat from the water inlet just removed the useless, poorly fitted rubber seal and put it back with some thread tape and it's as good as gold now
also had the antenna plug pop in unscrewed the plate and popped it back but will have a look at it and maybe up grade it when I re-do the external antenna point and add a satellite point
had a couple of door latches not catching
Only thing I can't sort myself is the Hot water system not working on Mains Pressure
I did make mention on the Survey thing that they sent me that for all the hoo ha about their Quality control gates in their work shop I think they need to have a look at that! maybe a quality control inspector,inspector! :laugh:
Mine is booked in for 1st service and warranty on the 15th May and I have not heard anyone say anything Bad about their after sales service so I'm sure all your problems will be sorted

Cheers Grant & Toni

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hello everyone,
We have just booked our expanda in for its second round of warranty jobs.
Just wondering if theese are normal things that go wrong or if its to many.
awning arm broken
flick mixer tap loose*****
cupboard door not opening(again)
1 water tank not working (again)*****
peeling sticker they forgot to replace after the last lot of 6 stickers
water leaking at inlet under seat
water leaking at outlet before you put the sullage hoses on
missing tooth brush holden in toilet/shower
sink blocks up there changing a u bend or something
tv antena socket poped into housing(again)
power point surounds popping of(again)*****
buckled outside plastic vent*****
seat button popped of
jockey wheel failed(again)
gas water system slightly explodes(new housing going on)
over head doors rubbing in the middle
Thats about all i can think of at the moment
Cheers Jim/Tab and Diamond

Hey Jim & Tab,

I marked similar issues we had in your post. Our van just turned over its 1 year old birthday and as such has just been for its 2nd service and last lot of warranty work (actually 2nd lot).

It was only silly things with ours.

Cover plates for powerpoints were screwed over the jointing rubber they use around the cupboards.

Fridge vent was not mounted square and so used to pop out.

Flick mixer needed locktite on the mounting screw
&
The water tank had a kinked supply hose, this was fixed once and had to be fixed again. They cable tied the hose up the first time and then the cable tie broke and the hose followed the same path as it did before!

Anyway they fixed all my worries with no complaints or argument. I am still by happy with the service from Jayco.

Shaun

Kebsy56

Jan 17, 2012
St leonards vic
Sorry to hear about your warranty issues. We have a few of our own. Had our handover the first week of feb and on the day noticed the hard lids all scratched. Looked like someone had tried to polish them with emery paper they had swirl marks all over them and didn't have any shine. The guy doing the handover was a bit shocked and said its just been detailed i dont know how they missed that go and have a coffee and we will buff and polish it. Half hour later they come and tell us it won't polish out we have to replace both lids. 4 weeks later they get the lids 7 weeks later they get the decals. The roof hangs over on the annexe side the width of the seal.The door doesn't close properly wall and door frame got a big bow in it have to slam the door shut. Cutlery draw crooked down 10mm one side.Couch backing come off wall screws falling out. Main tap needs non return valve when you turn pump on it just spits until you prime it with the hand pump.First trip out didn't have a handle to wind the legs down lucky i had my toolbox with sockets and ratchet. Booked in for warranty work on the 12th may hope they can get it right first time because we head to darwin 5 weeks later.

Cheers and all the best with your warranty work.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah, I had a few issues with ours when we first got it. Most were minor and I opted to fix myself and save the hassle of taking it back as they only would have done what I did anyway and in some cases if you do it yourself you know it's done right, however I know that's not the point and allot of these faults should not leave the factory.

I do believe there can be "Friday afternoon specials" in anything you buy but it does make you wonder about their quality control. Overall these problems can occur with any van, with Jayco producing more vans than most manufacturers maybe chances are Jayco will have the most fixes, although I'm not trying to make excuses. A mate of mine spent 65k on another make of van and within 6 months had a leak and a pelmet above window fell off.

All in all I think expandas are a good concept and once any issues are sorted you should have a good van, matty4 and cruza have proven they can stand up to some rougher trips which is comforting to know. I have a caravan repairer not far from me at work and he told me once " there all the same these days". I guess if you made a bullet proof van not only would they be expensive but you probably wouldn't be able to pull it.

In my opinion after owning one for 2 years or so and fixing or improving things here and there jayco's may not be the best in quality but you could do allot worse. In saying that my next van will be another expanda and i'll probably fix /improve the little things again. I have found jayco warranty service very good and they do have allot of spares on the shelf.Hope you get your issues sorted jim & tab and you continue to enjoy your expanda. :)

Cheers
Burnsy.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
:smash:My motto i try to work to is if you want it done right do it yourself that works sometimes and you also get to know your van

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
although I'm not trying to make excuses. A mate of mine spent 65k on another make of van and within 6 months had a leak and a pelmet above window fell off.

Your not wrong there.. I have 2 friends that I go camping with:

1 70k supreme van - all sorts of dramas... Leaks, fridge still not working.

2 50k Goldstream (like a swan)... fridge constantly runs at 16deg.

Point is that most caravans have issues, even the expensive ones. You hear more about Jayco's cos theres more out there. And like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for"

I love my Jayco, and I know there are going to be issues, I hope its not me putting a big list up like Jim and Tab. I do fix little issues myself, but the only issue so far that I have to take the van back to the dealer for is the front lid. Still can get 2 of mine for one of those Ultimate Campers with the Gold inserted into the Fibre glass.

fingers crossed!

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Seems like there are a few too many faults there. A would be asking some big questions of the dealer, this is where they prove their mettle !

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
As others have said Jim and Tab they all have there little problems here and there but dont let that spoil the fun with getting away in the Expanda. I find that most problems seem to be with the add on bits and pieces, like the buckled vent or even the jockey wheel colapsing.

Yes the cupboards should rub but I guess the best think to do is use your Expanda as much as possible in the warranty period.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Jim & Tab.

I purchased a second hand Expanda and never had the comfort of warranty.

I was disapointed that the sellers deliberately hid some of the faults with the van and didn`t tell me about them before the purchase.

These include no brakes, worn out awning arms that keep falling out when setting up the awning, some cupboards hinges not working properly, seat torn underneath and a few other minor things.

It`s my fault for not asking them to set everything up. They purposely had the van parked beside the garage so I couldn`t set the awning up.

Anyway, the bottom line was I had to either fix things myself or pay to get them fixed. I`ve fixed a few things and have to say that these and most other things can be fixed if you have the time and you're a little handy on the tools. This website is great, there always seems to be a ton of advice for every problem that I`ve had.

Good luck with your repairs, sounds like lots of small problems which probably happen on all vans.

I`ve been in the same boat and now only have two more repairs on my list, brakes and awning supports.

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
Thanks for the replys
None of the problems have stopped us from camping and i could have fixed them if they did become a mojor problem.
These problems have been popping up trip after trip but its nearly out of warante so we waited till now to get them all fixed.
we still love our van to bits and were aware of little things that go wrong with them.
If we had our time again we would still buy the expanda.It suits our needs and price perfect.
Hopefully once these things are repaired all goes well.
Cheers Jim/Tab andDiamond