Sterling DRW's Sterling White Out

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
While its in pieces I thought why not wire it up for a fridge cooling fan and fit an external light above the water inlets for late night arrivals, I have no comment as to why the backing above the fridge was at this silly angle but its not now :o
IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

DRW

May 29, 2013
Has been a busy week, lucky I jhave no work (sort of)
Heading off to Europe for a month on the weekens followed by a job interview in Taiwan so I yhought I should get into it, almost done.
Fitted the water level indicators above the fridge with the hot water switch and added a switch for the outside light and fridge fans
Laminater the bench top to save scratching etc
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg

Bedroom almost finished, just need to tidy up under the bed wherer I fitted a battery charger and DC to DC charger
IMG_0959.jpg

Overhead cupbords re-fitter above dinette, having problems with the catches under since I fitted piano hinges they ar slightly higher now and the catched wont fit, something to sort out on our return, laminated the top and ends as well

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 185

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh that is a classic, show that to Jayco and ask for the person who signed it off........................lol,lol.

I'm going to unfollow this thread, it's just giving me ideas. Looks absolutely fantastic.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hey Dave - you slightly younger silly old bugger - what an amazing transformation you are working on your van - fantastic! I can't wait to check it out - well done. Hope you and Carmel are well - roll on next year - may even get up your way before the Flinders trip. Need to catch up with Paul and Elaine as well.
Take care
Bill

Reactions: chartrock

DRW

May 29, 2013
Hi @Billrw136 good to hear from you, we are currently wandering around Europe in no particular order, currently in Zurich and heading for Germany for the day, if you make it up this way give us a yell as we have been slack and havent caught up with @chartrock since the corner either (although he has travelled through the sunny coast ;))

Zurich from the lake
IMG_0984.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This is getting too much, okay !!!!!!!!!............Making us drool over the van upgrades and now enticing us to Europe, we'll have to become refugee's to get there ................

Reactions: bigcol

DRW

May 29, 2013
Hi @expanda I used an American undercoat that they say will stick to any surface, I then used a water based for most and used enamel for the timber in the shower, all satin finish, I ended up using the enamel for the dinette also because I ran out of the water based stuff. In hindsight I would have used enamel for the lot. I used mini micro fibre rollers and threw them away after use, they come in 10 packs. I wanted to replace what ever I could as the van is only a couple of years old and I wanted it to look original (that cost me lol)
My brother turned up in July with his brand new flash as a pig with a gold tooth 1st class caravan he had just purchased, the interior is white with taupe doors, looks amazing!! My darling said that looks so much better than ours, why don't you paint it???? I worked out it would be fairly simple ( I have never been the sharpest tool in the shed) and it would cost around $30,000 to trade up to a new van, so that was what I did. No regrets most things turned out they way I wanted them to, probably cost around $1500 or more but that's with a new stereo etc so I'm happy, more importantly wifey is happy also. I will post finished picture once I clean everything out, cheers.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi @expanda I used an American undercoat that they say will stick to any surface, I then used a water based for most and used enamel for the timber in the shower, all satin finish, I ended up using the enamel for the dinette also because I ran out of the water based stuff. In hindsight I would have used enamel for the lot. I used mini micro fibre rollers and threw them away after use, they come in 10 packs. I wanted to replace what ever I could as the van is only a couple of years old and I wanted it to look original (that cost me lol)
My brother turned up in July with his brand new flash as a pig with a gold tooth 1st class caravan he had just purchased, the interior is white with taupe doors, looks amazing!! My darling said that looks so much better than ours, why don't you paint it???? I worked out it would be fairly simple ( I have never been the sharpest tool in the shed) and it would cost around $30,000 to trade up to a new van, so that was what I did. No regrets most things turned out they way I wanted them to, probably cost around $1500 or more but that's with a new stereo etc so I'm happy, more importantly wifey is happy also. I will post finished picture once I clean everything out, cheers.

Sounds good and looks good.

Are you happy with rollers finish on the cupboards?

DRW

May 29, 2013
The only "large" areas that are painted are the cupboards beside the bed, the back of the TV cupboard and dinette as well as the shower wall beside the stove. All cupboard doors and draw fronts are new, I laminated the top and sides of the cupboards above the dinette as well as the top above the fridge so really there isn't a whole lot of large surfaces that you can see. But yes the finish is good and I'm happy with it except for one place you can see the roller marks grrrrrrrrr. My opinion might change once I get it out from under cover and get some light into it!!

DRW

May 29, 2013
DONE!!!!
all finished, just need to make the bed, fill it up with provisions and go, we're off to Cotton Tree next weekend for a 4 day weekend :)

Fitted a 20A DC to DC charger as well as a 20A charger, ran a separate wire for the radio memory, ran a pair of wires to the draw bar for connecting the external solar panels that can be used for a 12V supply as well if needed, replaced the main fuse with a circuit breaker. The solar panel regulator came with the van as well as a roof mounted small panel.
IMG_1448.jpg
Moved the TV from inside the cupboard to the side of the cupboard so we can watch all of it in bed instead of trying to see around our feet.
IMG_1450.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
Laminated the top of the cupboards above the dinette as well as the bench top on top of the fridge
IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg
Once I moved the controls above the fridge I also added a 12V outlet for the 12V fan when we are off the grid

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Absolutely flabbergobsmacked!

What a difference....you'll never sell it and will smile with success every time you look at it.

Reactions: DRW and bigcol