Sterling DRW's Sterling White Out

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Not really sure what I was thinking, my brother bought a new van and it has a white interior, Carmel said "that looks nice maybe you could paint it" and for some stupid reason I agreed (after watching @Moto Mech transform his). I must say for a 2 year old van I have lost faith in Jayco, some of their workmanship is less than acceptable.
I originally had a quote for all new doors and draw fronts from Melamine panel $195 and thought that's so easy until my brother pionted out the weight increase :-( so I am now waiting on a price for them in light weight ply, I just had a quote for them in PVC board and it was $600 and he said ply is more expensive!!! If it comes to it I will spray paint the old doors which I didn't want to but pricing may force me to do it. The plastic T moulding in everything is so Damn hard to find in white also, I have to buy 200 metres @ $190 + freight, but I have undercoated every thing so there's no turning back now.

Screw from shower wall going nowhere and this is all that keeps the wall in place (bench top removed from top of fridge)
IMG_0922.jpg

Before
IMG_0920.jpg

After
IMG_0924.jpg

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Wow, there's no turning back now. I must admit, I'd cover everything not to be painted with plastic, and just spray the lot. I certainly don't have the patience for what you two are doing, but I know it will look fantastic when done. Good on you!!!

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

DRW

May 29, 2013
Well not much has happened for a while, waiting on the cutting mob to finish the doors etc after changing from Melamine to light weight laminated ply (at 4 times the cost). Finished the shower door, bought a sheet of 3mm laminate from the big green shed cut it up and glued 2 pieces together to make 6mm, works a treat. Have finished re-sealing the shower (which destroyed my back and now I can hardly move and has been like it for over a week now). have painted the kitchen cupboard frames and dismantled the bedroom and began painting as well, how in gods name the bed actually holds me is beyond my comprehension but it does, there is a small piece of finger jointed timber that holds it together with 1 srew at each end, the joinf had separated so I glued and screwd a piece of ply over it. Getting very frustrated with the wait for the panels and my damn back but I guess it will be finished eventually. Oh and I took a day off and took the boat out fishing in the Noosa river last Sunday :)
IMG_0941.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg
IMG_0932.jpg

DRW

May 29, 2013
Still waiting for the new doors etc to be cut, running out of patience just a bit. But something to fill in time, I shifted the wiring from under the fridge to above the fridge for the HWS and tank level guages etc to save crawling on the floor to see how much water is left, added an exterior light to the RH side and ran wires for cooling fans for the fridge. I would hate to be a sales rep selling solder or glue to Jayco, you would soon go broke lol
IMG_0946.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg

This is all that holds the (soon to be replaced) stereo in, how it didn't fall out is beyond me.
IMG_0947.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's always a lucky dip when you look behind things in your Jayco.............
Have thought about putting a hook to hold the power lead in place but then I thought if someone trips over the lead the damn hook will rip a big hole in the wall.

Reactions: dagree

DRW

May 29, 2013
dead right @Drover love the finish on the original cupboards and draws, you would think someone would run a piece of sand paper along the edges? Not to mention the amount of goes to get the draw runners right (which they are not lol)
IMG_0952.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
dead right @Drover love the finish on the original cupboards and draws, you would think someone would run a piece of sand paper along the edges? Not to mention the amount of goes to get the draw runners right (which they are not lol)
View attachment 35279 View attachment 35280
Don't even have sand paper within 50 metres of a Jayco .... the decorative film with start to scratch.

I work with laminated sheets for a living .... I touched the ply with with a my finishing blade with the idea of cleaning the edge tape and took a chunk out of the ply. :oops:

I can buy some very questionable quality ply .... but I can't source any as thin and fragile as Jayco do