Drovers new Rig - "Big Mal"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hugh Hefner made millions from walking around in his pyjamas and dressing gown. It hasn't done a thing for me
Thanks for that vision................... he may have made millions from some some but not a cent from me........

and it was "Bunny" as in Rabbit, Disperser as in rifle.............. but Bundy Dispenser works for me as well

Reactions: WHHEMI

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
New springs all fitted certainly showed the old ones had sagged so now have a 15mm lift.......................... Next project is started with the ensuite cupboard partially dismantled for the new Genny Cupboard, order an external door, cut hole in wall and fit door then build the cupboard for the genny, luckily there will still be room for a modified laundry basket so Mrs D is happy.................... Advice needed oh CrustyCon @Crusty181 , will these Bunnings draw slides do the job as a slide out for my Honda 2kva or do you think they will spit the bearings out in short order ???
https://www.bunnings.com.au/goliath-heavy-duty-drawer-slide-pair-500mm_p4020990 .

Plan to make a frame for the sliders which will bolt to van floor, with an alloy tray for genny to sit on, just for ease of access as genny won't be run whilst on rack............

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Those runners should be fine. The dynamic load can be 140% the static weight, so the 90kg limit is more than ample for a 30kg genset. Be wise to add some kind of positive catch to stop it opening up in transit tho. Dunn and Watson have lockable runners of that style for maybe $50 ish, youll likely find Dunn and Watsons on Ebay at better than their agent prices.

Heres a very average drawing, of a simple option to build it. 4 x 500mm lengths of alum angle and runner btw them. Bottom angle fixed to the floor, and to the top angle fix a shelf of 18mm ply/mdf creating a solid mountable unit.

This (plus the additional red) is how im building my custom fridge slide, and in my case ill have the red second drawer picnic table which will slide out from under the main independantly

Screenshot_20200816-205003_Samsung Notes~01.jpg

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I built my slide for the honda using those runners . The shelf angles are reversed compared to above so the shelf sits right on the base when stored so it shares the load. I had to wax the base to let it slide but its really secure over rough roads which is what I was concerned about. Also height was an issue for me.
The shelf is two layers of ply with the top layer cut in the outline of the gen feet. Because mine pulls out over the ute tray when the back is down, and I wanted a solid base when running, the shelf still has 20mm sitting on the base when fully extended and I use a square of hardboard to sit under the extended shelf.
Easy to set up and store

Untitled.png

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks @Crusty181 and @jazzeddie1234 for confirming my thoughts, in fact my 2 design options were exactly what you both have drawn...... I have a mini pool gate type latch somewhere which will lock it in place, same as my battery slide out..... Going to use a seat belt strap with velcro stitched to it as a hold down, amazing how well it works..................... Biggest problem is finding some timber panelling that matches the other cupboards, it will probably end up white like the walls or I might just camouflage it.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I built my slide for the honda using those runners . The shelf angles are reversed compared to above so the shelf sits right on the base when stored so it shares the load. I had to wax the base to let it slide but its really secure over rough roads which is what I was concerned about. Also height was an issue for me.
The shelf is two layers of ply with the top layer cut in the outline of the gen feet. Because mine pulls out over the ute tray when the back is down, and I wanted a solid base when running, the shelf still has 20mm sitting on the base when fully extended and I use a square of hardboard to sit under the extended shelf.
Easy to set up and store

View attachment 65582

I have the reverse issue, zero sideways clearance and more height than I can use. The runner have to be recessed underneath because the slide has to be narrower than the 360mm wide fridge, and most commercial slides are all "one size fits all" and they just occupy un-necessary and wasted space. As it stands Ill end up replacing the side opening Eclipse with a rear opening Engel because the side opener will just add frustration.

Ill either find a second-hand slide, or just buy a cheap Kings slide ($120) and just cannibalise them for parts

20200521_115552 copy.jpg

KASLIDEPR.jpg

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
This is mine. Back of the Ute a mess now we have set up in Broome
Honda stowed
IMG_20200817_093840.jpg

3/4 extended with hardboard spacer in place
IMG_20200817_093904.jpg

Shelf cut out for feet
IMG_20200817_093931.jpg

I do need a locking system to stop the generator sliding in while running but my hammer is the perfect length...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats what I like, functional, built for the purpose, gives great satisfaction DiY and not shop bought not to mention the savings, the genny slides I saw they wanted around $250 for the things, "Theyre Dreaming" I thought.............. Mine will cost me about $40 I reckon, if that.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
And nothing beats the joy, frustration and exasperation of bring home a new toy (the generator) and staring at an already packed ute tray. In my case it was endless hours of cardboard mock-ups, another round of 'editing' my mk2 boxes into mk3, and repeated 'do I really need this favorite tool'.

Fortunately the tools won which is why the missus is still at home :o

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wait until you see "The Light" and get a Grand Cherokee and have to be even more vicious with the cull............... BIg Mal and The Jeeperific MkII being reliable vehicles the tool box got culled (plus I can't be bothered doing repairs now, I have good insurance), just laid everything out, packed, did a 3,000km run to see what was really needed, got home worked out what I needed, looked at catalogues and said "Youv'e got to be bluddy joking" and turned the $1,000 shop into $300 by designing and building it all myself. Of course the savings are all on paper because I will find other things to spend the savings on................ Bunny Disperser hasn't been put on the backburner either, just that I can't go to where they live...( We don't have Rabbits in QLD, they aren't allowed)

Mrs D is a much needed resource in the camping equipment and I will think of a good reason in due course.................. she reminds me that I need more beer.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Today I had a look at some flash basins for the Ensuite, since I have it all in pieces I thought a nice fancy basin and new tap would go well, a bit of an upgrade maybe, bluddy hell the price of them is a bit much, be a shame to dump the old basin and tap since they are looking a lot better than I thought................... same with some Jerry can racks, $20 of steel and maybe an hours work for one......... I want 2 maybe I should build 4 and sell the others for $50 each...

Reactions: WHHEMI

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I replaced the acrylic basin in mine due to discoloration and scratches , only to discover (thank you youtube) that the stuff I use to polish scratches out of the windows and headlights works on acrylic...Arghhhh

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Today I had a look at some flash basins for the Ensuite, since I have it all in pieces I thought a nice fancy basin and new tap would go well, a bit of an upgrade maybe, bluddy hell the price of them is a bit much, be a shame to dump the old basin and tap since they are looking a lot better than I thought................... same with some Jerry can racks, $20 of steel and maybe an hours work for one......... I want 2 maybe I should build 4 and sell the others for $50 each...
Supercheap sell basic gal jerry holder for about $35, although I do like the look of the Jayco ones

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm looking at making something like this but hopefully with a more secure strap over the lid to stop thieving and with a better finish I hope, secured on the base so need good support.

1597799699569.jpeg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
For what it's worth my fairly thin Jayco carriers are only welded on at the bottom, and they've survived 1000's ok km of this.
P1080090 copy 2.jpg

20150925_184252.jpg

I cut the chains off them (just annoying). If required ill use 25mm web strap for the rough stuff (or empty), but mostly don't bother.
20151018_172731 copy.jpg

The jerry holders on the Troopy swing arm just have a plastic-coated wire rope, much like clothesline just with a loop on one end for a padlock. Im very happy with security level somewhere between the opportunistic bypasser, and a serious $hithead crook. The bypasser won't be able to just casually lift them out walking past, but the serious crook who'll try a bit harder won't end up breaking stuff thats worth more than the 20ltr of fuel he's now walking away with

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action