16' Series Driveway security

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I use a Saracen Hitchlock, about $80. Hardened steel.
saracen-aus.jpg
I also feed the safety chains through the hitch handle and padlock them chains so you cant lift the handle, or use the chains. Hardened chains padlocked around the wheels, and the stablisers lowered so the hitch is higher than the normal car hitch height

Also remove the jock wheel and use a car stand to stop your jockey wheel from being used to raise and lower your van onto some other turds car.

People around the corner from me at one stage removed the hitch from the A frame, no dragging it away without that fitted..
@Matty4. @ChrisU I watch in horror a mock up of a pretend crook stealing a camper trailer which had a lovely trailer lock firmly attached. The baddie reverse his car up the driveway, raised the trailer with the trailers own jockey wheel, and using the supplied shackles on the safety chains made a nice little loop with the safety chains, hooked the chain loop over his hitch ball, lowered the jockey wheel and drove off with the makeshift "chain loop hitch" and lock still firmly attached .... took less than 30 seconds to watch, and 3 months later I still haven't got over watching that one

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I hope he hit a huge bump or pothole but it shows if they want it they take it.

A pity they don't use the ingenuity to make an honest living.

On a security note we had our home security system serviced and checked last week and reprogrammed. One of the things they added was the automatic phone call to our mobiles if we lose power. Not the tripping of the security but the loss of power to the house.

After constant phone calls to our mobiles when we lost power during the night...twice...we contacted the guy this morning as we are very bleary eyed.

He said they now do this as the thieves are going to houses, turning off their power at the box, waiting till the battery backup runs down then breaking in.

Just another spin we hadn't heard of. We might be slow and it's probably common but we missed that little gem.

I guess we'll practice sleeping with the mobile but I hate them!

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @Jimbo We have heaps of things on ours, everything and anything to stop someone trying to take it

unnamed.jpg

Trailer Helmet Hitch
Klamp IT
Cover
GPS
Gates
Security Cameras
Security Lights
Security Alarm (To be fitted)

Just need the dogs :)

Personally I have found when you spend that much on something it is worth spending a bit more to secure it, sometimes if they are professionals you can't stop them but most of the items people have suggested will either slow them down or make them think twice and look at someone else's.

Last edited:

ChrisU

May 18, 2015
Wandin North, Vic
I use a Saracen Hitchlock, about $80. Hardened steel.
View attachment 36251
I also feed the safety chains through the hitch handle and padlock them chains so you cant lift the handle, or use the chains. Hardened chains padlocked around the wheels, and the stablisers lowered so the hitch is higher than the normal car hitch height

Also remove the jock wheel and use a car stand to stop your jockey wheel from being used to raise and lower your van onto some other turds car.

@Matty4. @ChrisU I watch in horror a mock up of a pretend crook stealing a camper trailer which had a lovely trailer lock firmly attached. The baddie reverse his car up the driveway, raised the trailer with the trailers own jockey wheel, and using the supplied shackles on the safety chains made a nice little loop with the safety chains, hooked the chain loop over his hitch ball, lowered the jockey wheel and drove off with the makeshift "chain loop hitch" and lock still firmly attached .... took less than 30 seconds to watch, and 3 months later I still haven't got over watching that one

Hey @Crusty181, hence the Secura-Post!

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Hey @Jimbo We have heaps of things on ours, everything and anything to stop someone trying to take it

View attachment 36292

Trailer Helmet Hitch
Klamp IT
Cover
GPS
Gates
Security Cameras
Security Lights
Security Alarm (To be fitted)

Just need the dogs :)

Personally I have found when you spend that much on something it is worth spending a bit more to secure it, sometimes if they are professionals you can't stop them but most of the items people have suggested will either slow them down or make them think twice and look at someone else's.
With all that security you must have something special in your van..............I will be sure to check it out at the end of the month:bolt:

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
With all that security you must have something special in your van..............I will be sure to check it out at the end of the month:bolt:

Na you behind me....wonder if he has a diesel heater hidden in there and he not telling us about.:lol:

Hey @dagree @SMJ *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* no diesel heater "yet" but I suppose I can share the beers in the fridge with you :)

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Like the bollard idea plus wheel clamps....

Just on the gps tracker...i assume the baddie will find it and disconnect it? Do they have their own battery and hard to find?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When mines at home it has most of the physical things the others have mentioned plus our place is out of sight from the road, big evil steep driveway, gates and a Remington .