Draining HWS - Will this prolong Anode?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
I was thinking about how it is best practice to change the anode in the Hot Water Service every 12 months.

If you drain the HWS after each trip, will this also prolong the Anode life?

Can anyone recommend any good/easy ways to drain the HWS as opening the pressure release valve does only that, it does not drain the tank.

Cheers,

Ro

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Drainage & Storage Instructions says to turn of gas etc, turn off pressure pump, open both hot & cold water taps, remove anode to drain tank. Be sure to refill tank before re-lighting the appliance

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Use your Expanda often enough and don't worry about draining HWS. In quiet times just fire up the HWS and run some water through.
Replace the Suburban anode thingy each year around service time (don't cost that much $25'ish)

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Yes Xpandafan - you have the right idea - just keep using it.

For only $25 it's not worth worrying about the hassle of draining every time we are finished with the van.

Cheers,

Ro

Reactions: Xpandafan

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Just make sure you give your hws a good flush out when you get home (providing home water is good). Also do the same just before you leave to go on a trip and do this well before you re heat the water. This will get rid of nasties and any "anode"gas that may have been produced.

Remember anodes are designed to corrode, so by draining your tank, sure your anode will be OK but what about the steel tank! Example. Leave a steel nail in water for a week, then take it out and watch what happens!

Geoff

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Folks, can someone please tell us what size socket the Anode Nut is? Cheers
27mm hex on my Suburban.
Anode is magnesium or aluminium and is 22mm diameter and 250mm long. Recommended to replace when 50% of original diameter.
Remember to teflon tape the thread to avoid leaks as the system is pressurised.

Reactions: Deano and Pace

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thx.XF. A job to do after easter for me,might come by and loan that socket.
I'll put on the bbq for yourself and Mrs XF.
Geez, Pace, I thought your name meant "Peace". You're probably a nice helpful bloke and all that, but letting you into my tool shed...just dunno! Then again if you bring a chocolate egg or something...;)

Reactions: pace9908

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
27mm hex on my Suburban.
Anode is magnesium or aluminium and is 22mm diameter and 250mm long. Recommended to replace when 50% of original diameter.
Remember to teflon tape the thread to avoid leaks as the system is pressurised.

As an Apprentice I was told by an older guy not to use too much teflon on an anode. You need to get a good earth circuit between anode and tank. True of false I dont know, but it sounded a good idea.

Geoff

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Hi Folks, can someone please tell us what size socket the Anode Nut is? Cheers
Just changed mine had to buy a socket 1 1/16 af.about $9 there was a easter special on adode I got charged $33
until i pointed out it was $19.95 in there ad,
just a point on the water from hot water service with a mixer tap be carefull you dont fill kettle from hot water i'm told its full of heavy metals, which woulld seem to be true as the anode was none exstant when i replaced it flush tank out and you will see what i mean.
regards Shiraz.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
As an Apprentice I was told by an older guy not to use too much teflon on an anode. You need to get a good earth circuit between anode and tank. True of false I dont know, but it sounded a good idea.
Geoff
Now I'm an older guy, I'm really pleased to hear from people who listen to older guys (and remember their good ideas) :distrust:
I guess the circuit comes from the anode head/washer and tank connection.
Suburban recommend you use the tape on the thread, but you're right about not overdoing it. It's a good rule to apply to lots of things in life.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just changed mine had to buy a socket 1 1/16 af.about $9 there was a easter special on adode I got charged $33
until i pointed out it was $19.95 in there ad,
just a point on the water from hot water service with a mixer tap be carefull you dont fill kettle from hot water i'm told its full of heavy metals, which woulld seem to be true as the anode was none exstant when i replaced it flush tank out and you will see what i mean.
regards Shiraz.
Yeah...I was trying to seem younger and "metricated".
Agree probably not a good idea to drink (fill the kettle) from the HWS (any HWS really).
I filter the water into my tanks. There are some good suggestions on this forum for fitting filter to sink tap too.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
After reading this, decided to pull mine out for a look. Well more a case of pulling out what WAS the anode. Time for a trip to the parts place for a new one me thinks.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
028.JPG
Picked up a new anode and swapped mine over today. The picture shows new v old, which, I am guessing, is the original.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I pulled mine out last month to have a look and it was more than 50% gone! (and only 6 months old) I had already bought a replacement so no worries replacing it. Mine already had teflon tape on it, but I noticed there wasn't much there. Certainly less than I would normally apply. However, it did the job. Also worth noting that I had a problem with the van flooding when I removed the anode and drained the tank. A lot of the water travelled bac into the van through the gap between the hot water unit and the van wall. I assume this gap should have been sealed and siliconed. Worth watching if you drain your tank.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
That looks like the original to me CC at a guess
Found a pic of mine it was just over 12 months old when replaced.

002-1.jpg

Attachments

• 002-1.jpg
    002-1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 187