18' Series Door Blown Off

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Well, after booking it in to be repaired today apparently it's quite common
mainly the hinges get old and brittle a bit of flex over a bumpy road at speed and goodbye door.Having the door facing into the wind certainly doesn't help though!
Like the look of these

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    604.4 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Would have expected brittle hinges from one older than that! Be interested to see what they say after they look at it and fix it.
Where are you taking it to get fixed?
http://www.joondalupcaravanrepairs.com.au/
They were recommended by a few people and Tom the owner was very helpful when I spoke to him
It's an easy fix really, just a matter of ordering the right door and 6 screws

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
mainly the hinges get old and brittle a bit of flex over a bumpy road at speed and goodbye door.Having the door facing into the wind certainly doesn't help though!
Like the look of these

Would think if its hinges though this might end help? What's left of your hinges? Can you post up a close up? You can usually tell with that nylon plastic stuff if it's started to fail ?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I just inspected my door and found the upper and lower knob bits which hold the outer door were loose.
Are they supposed to have a bit of play?

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Found out today that I have a four week wait for the door as none in stock the size required :apologetic:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 211

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
http://www.joondalupcaravanrepairs.com.au/
They were recommended by a few people and Tom the owner was very helpful when I spoke to him
It's an easy fix really, just a matter of ordering the right door and 6 screws
What about getting him to install a left opening door rather than a right? Would fix future issues and allow better opening of the window that is stuck behind the opened door on many Panda models.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Like the look of these
Any one actually installed one of these?
Looks like a worthwhile investment.
Can you provide the link please.
Thanks, Marv

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Like the look of these
Funnily enough we have one of these as well. Our expanda has a rear door so when we put the side door handle/lock on we also fitted one of these on our back door. Highly recommended.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Everyone
250 Km into our trip home yesterday with 350 Km still to go we were stopped by a car in front that had over taken us to tell us that our caravan entrance door blew off 20 km back down the road!
We always double check all doors and vents when hitching up and I know the door was definitely locked
so mystified to the reason this could happen???
We have a friend who lost their door on their destiny van. They are Camec doors. Most caravans have Camec doors on them.
I'm wondering if the later models with triple locks are more secure.

Reactions: bigcol

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I remember about 5 years ago on our big half lap that we met up with friends who had hired a Jayco Discovery for a trip up to AliceSprings and Ayers Rock (where we met them). Caught up with them a few weeks later after we had all returned and they were telling us that this happened to them on the last day of their trip. They pulled into their drive and went to unpack the van and get it cleaned to return to the hire place and found the door missing. They had no idea it had gone. Needless to say the hire company charged them for a new door!!!