18' Series Door Blown Off

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Hi Everyone
250 Km into our trip home yesterday with 350 Km still to go we were stopped by a car in front that had over taken us to tell us that our caravan entrance door blew off 20 km back down the road!
We always double check all doors and vents when hitching up and I know the door was definitely locked
so mystified to the reason this could happen???

Attachments

• IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2990.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2991.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 293

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi Everyone
250 Km into our trip home yesterday with 350 Km still to go we were stopped by a car in front that had over taken us to tell us that our caravan entrance door blew off 20 km back down the road!
We always double check all doors and vents when hitching up and I know the door was definitely locked
so mystified to the reason this could happen???
Wow @Seanm5253, that's horrible and something Im constantly worried about. Seems my fears werent misplaced.

I cannot understand why any caravan manufacturer would install a door that opens with the wind ...

Is the damage limited the door, or has it caused other damage.

Reactions: Tone

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Now that is an unfortunate incident but fortunate that no injuries, or other damage, occurred.
Will be interested to hear what the cause was!

Where were you heading?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Wow @Seanm5253, that's horrible and something Im constantly worried about. Seems my fears werent misplaced.

I cannot understand why any caravan manufacturer would install a door that opens with the wind ...

Is the damage limited the door, or has it caused other damage.

I've been thinking about getting something like this
image.jpeg

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Judging by your avatar, I gather your were towing with your Jeep. Not surprising you blew the door off your van. You've got to be a bit easier on the acceleration. Those older Expandas are only used to being towed with Prado's. ;)

In all seriousness glad no other damage was done. Was looking at my door the other day and thinking it's only a matter of time before those plastic hinges get brittle and break.

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Judging by your avatar, I gather your were towing with your Jeep. Not surprising you blew the door off your van. You've got to be a bit easier on the acceleration. Those older Expandas are only used to being towed with Prado's. ;)

In all seriousness glad no other damage was done. Was looking at my door the other day and thinking it's only a matter of time before those plastic hinges get brittle and break.
That explains it, at least I know the cause now :car:
might look at trading in for a Toyota

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I'm glad there wasn't more damage and no one was hurt.
This was the argument I used with jayco back when our van was being built (think I actually mentioned it in one of my posts) as I wanted the door reversed and they said no. (I also mentioned bad publicity and media which may have helped my cause).
I got my reversed door, but never would have thought it would actually happen.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Did it latch properly or was it always a tad loose? I've mentioned the gap in ours and adjusted it myself to Jayco never thought the wind could get behind it though?

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Wow, bet you weren't expecting that :o I've always been a bit paranoid about the door, mainly security as our van is kept at the front of our home, so we had a Fiamma door lock/handle (the longer one) fitted onto our van a couple of years ago now. Would not be without it. Adds great security when locked over and when folded out it's a great handle to hang onto when climbing up and down into the van.