Dometic 2350

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Could someone advise what would be a reasonable time to expect the interior of fridge t feel like its cooling down after the gas is ignited. The flue is hot but agter 1.5hrs the interior dosent feel as if it has changed. it has been sitting around for a few months and i wondered if I should take it for a tow.
Thanks

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Could someone advise what would be a reasonable time to expect the interior of fridge t feel like its cooling down after the gas is ignited. The flue is hot but agter 1.5hrs the interior dosent feel as if it has changed. it has been sitting around for a few months and i wondered if I should take it for a tow.
Thanks

Hmmm 1.5 hours it should be cooling down by know...

Have you got a power point there?

Can you switch it over to power and test it that way?

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Thanks
Gday Jaybird. We found that if the fridge had a heap of stuff in it or if it were a really hot day the fridge wouldnt cool down so quickly. In saying that after an hour and a half you should be able to feel some sort of cool from the fridge. The only other thing that got us was that sometimes the fridge wouldnt work if it wasnt level.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Trying it on 240v at the moment, fridge is empty and level, thermo on 4, the van goes in for the shower refit on Wed and because I havent used it for months I thought I would check to see if everything worked. Its an Aug 2012 model and health problems have only let me use it twice since then the last time months ago, it had its 1st service and has been nowhere since, but all good now and we are planning a big trip.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Fridge is on 240v thermo on 6 and is now down to 7.5c from this afternoon around 4pm so this must mean the problem is on the gas size on the gas side, I take that the liquid that makes it cold is working OK so where do I look tomorrow for the cause.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
JayBird, got gas in the tank yes????? I like to run the fridge on gas too at times, i have fridge on 4, level and a few bottles of water in the fridge and another in the freezer gets the fridge to cool much quicker.

Speaking of fridges, i posed the question sometime ago in a thread and dont think get much responce.

Q: how often do people drain the water from the catch container lower rear of fridge??

Pace.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Answers to your questions, The van is sitting level and there is plenty of gas. On 240 the fridge went down to 4° overnight on setting 6. I have now turned it off and opened the door and when it has warmed up will retry the gas and that should affirm if it is tha gas or not. It goes in for other warranty work on Wed so If i cant get it going they can have the problem. in the meantime i'll try and find out for myself as Im one of these people that like to know why in case it happens again, I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that.
If it ends up having to be fixed i'll post the cause.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Jaybird, your other gas appliances are functioning, confirming your gas line are purged??

As i turn on the fridge, i turn on a hotplate first to be sure the gas is in the line. Then as i turn on the fridge (gas mode) i can see the red line move a lot sooner as the fridge lights up. Pace.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Yes Pace all other stuff working and fridge gauge is going into the green, and the external flue is hot, I have just put it back on gas after letting tha cabinet warm up after being on 240 so will wait and see what happens in the next couple of hours. It only took about an hour on 240 for the cold to start to happen so shouldnt take long if the gas is going to work.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Oops, yes of course you did mention the flue is getting hot in the first post, apology's. Hear back from just after lunch then.

Have you tried putting on bottles of water, as i mentioned above? Pace.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I have heard of flues becoming dislodged slightly, they can still get hot but it may it be worth checking. It should work better on gas, seems strange it is not cooling.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Thanks wiil check the flue
Now an update, 2 hours ago I refired the gas after it being on 240 all night. I took it off 240 this morning and left the door open until the cabinet had dropped temp and it was 16.5° when the gas was fired and now 2 hours later on gas the temp is down to 11° and dropping with the thermo setting on 5.
My conclusion to all this is with yesterday being a 32° + day and the cabinet having to start from these hot temps then the original time I allowed and expected for the fridge to get cold on gas was no where enough, however this still dosent explain why using 240 in the same circumstances did the job unless the system needed a kick along and 240 is what did it.
If you disagree with this theory please advise.

Im also going to look at the space around the cabinet as I see Jayco only have a piece of cardboard across the top of the fridge cabinet between the fridge and the cavity it is sitting in.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
The van is in at the dealers at the moment and I asked them to check the fridge while they had it regards running on gas. i noticed when I had it going that it had a strange smell which I put down to it being fairly new and heating up. it wasnt a gas or ammonia smell. I hadnt told the dealer about the smell but they picked up on it and rang me to say that when it was started they could smell a burning smelll and had removed it checked it out but could find nothing and were going to make further enquiries, this was last wednesday, they still have the van and havent called back as yet. It isnt there on 240
Has anyone experienced this with a new fridge and if so for how long and what was it.
Thanks
Terry

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
The van is in at the dealers at the moment and I asked them to check the fridge while they had it regards running on gas. i noticed when I had it going that it had a strange smell which I put down to it being fairly new and heating up. it wasnt a gas or ammonia smell. I hadnt told the dealer about the smell but they picked up on it and rang me to say that when it was started they could smell a burning smelll and had removed it checked it out but could find nothing and were going to make further enquiries, this was last wednesday, they still have the van and havent called back as yet. It isnt there on 240
Has anyone experienced this with a new fridge and if so for how long and what was it.
Thanks
Terry

Hmm one of my fridges did have a funny smell but it only lasted for a short time and we turned it off for an hour or two and back on and it went away.

Get onto the dealer on monday and see what they have found :)

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
An update on the fridge.
The dealer has had the fridge running on gas for about 3/4 days now and the smell is all but gone. They had Dometic look at it and they couldnt find anything wrong and said the smell was paint etc burning off. They did however add more insulation.
The dealer has turned it off let the cabinet warm up then restarted on gas and it took about 1 hour to cool down so they figure it operating OK now.
Thanks again for your replies
Terry