Do i expect to much?

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
Been looking for a van to replace our recently sold 14.44-3, we want shower toilet, double bed and an extra bed would like bunks, would like a disco 17.55-5sh outback nut trying to stick to a budget that doesnt allow the disco.
Anyway went to a local dealer to look at a van (not even a jayco), its a full height van, has most of what we want but its 11 years old, its in great condition except there is water damage/rot in the front of the van, underneath is rusty and the inside is dated albeit near immaculate.

The van was priced at 26990, we offered 25500 to start, he asked if we needed finance, we didnt, and asked if we'd contract now at that price and we said yes, he went away and came back and said, 26500 is the lowest pretty much take it or leave it so we left, but they didn't take our details or number or anything, pretty much got the feeling we were wasting their time, but $490 off when we pointed out the rust and the rot, their reply to the rot was we can silicone the outside and put something over it to cover it in the boot. I guess im still in a little bit of a shock

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yeah we almost brought a van last year it was old stock plated the previous year. They where not interested to do a deal or a sale. Seeing we went down 2 days in a row you would think they we where not tyre kickers. We offered $2k under what they wanted and they where not really helpful at all. We asked about a gas bayonet they said do it yourself we rather not do it.
So we went and brought the new Jayco which cost us more :)

If it had rust you can see I would run.. not walk. Normally they hide things so you cannot see.
My brother used to work at caryards and the things they did to hide faults.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Sounds like you made the right decision @DiDExceed :encouragement:

*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* @DiDExceed
for some strange reason, I get the feeling from some sales staff - that they are doing me a HUGE favour by giving me their time, let alone trying to help me.........

symptom of the current age I guess.....

any rot you see will be magnified 1000X's when you go to repair it.......

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
No i don't think you expect much at all , just some honest good service.
My last experience was yesterday - went into premium weber dealer to see there demonstration they do on the hour every hour on a saturday.
Set wheels in monition with the wife and daughter , get out the door on time , arrive 5 mins to 12 noon. there are people all ready crowded, the wife and i look at each other (me) "Come on it already started" , (her) calm down hits probably the end of the 11 am one.
we are out of the car and over to the tent in seconds, me leading the way!
As we stand there, i get the feeling the wife was right, and people asking questions etc, Hmmmm this goes on for half an hour, then at 12.30 i figure out that they aren't running to a time schedule at all, but just cooking and answering questions, so no run through on the units, hmmmm, i get a couple of questions in, and we head into the shop to buy!
We walk in and theres a young girl sitting at he front counter ( bugger can i have a real salesperson), and she says can i help you,
(me) yep we want to buy a baby Q with heaps of accessories, will you look after us?"
(girl) mmm
(me) ok we want a baby q , and all the acc for it.
(girl) yeh all the acc are over here.

we wonder over following the girl who looks at the shelve "here they are"

we stand there looking, and figure out that is the extent of here service,

we start to pick what we want, and then take a half grill off the shelve, as she turns and walks off with out a comment ?
she serves 2 other customers and 5 mins later comes back.
we are still standing with the grill box (me) "can we have a look at it, wanting to see it for real" (girl) "yes".
So the wife and i are standing there , struggling to get it open for a few minutes, ands she just stands there watching.
Then finally she walks off to help some one again.
Now i ve got the…………

we gather our acc's head to the counter, a bloke brings our Q over, she's to busy, and the bloke puts it through the register for us.
And you know what , i knew she wasn't going to help us as soon as i seen her.

Do I Expect To Much also, or as my wife says " you're just getting old and grumpy" ?

@DiDExceed I'm with you on this one.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
No i don't think you expect much at all , just some honest good service.

Do I Expect To Much also, or as my wife says " you're just getting old and grumpy" ?

@DiDExceed I'm with you on this one.

sorry guys, but I have yet to get service - adequate / don't be rude poor / or anything from anyone under 25-30 let alone Sales staff in General
unfortunately, they days of "Customer Service" are long gone
yes there IS the odd 1 or 2 people out there, who DO love what they do, and are as helpful as
but the majority as only there for the pay cheque, nothing more - nothing less........

I am with you on this as well @Colin&Sue & @DiDExceed
I have been known to throw a tantrum at Managers before because of their staff

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have been known to leave a trolley load of paint and stuff $500+ because the staff were too busy yacking, I walked off then they came after me, too late I said and since that was the second time at that place I don't go anymore, thankfully I have choice.
When I want service I expect their attention, I'll go elsewhere even if it costs more and I let them know, just a an old Grumble Bum...lol.
If a van has even the slightest discolouration in panels or a hint of soft timber run away, extra silastic on joins scares the hell out of me.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have been known to leave a trolley load of paint and stuff $500+ because the staff were too busy yacking, I walked off then they came after me, too late I said and since that was the second time at that place I don't go anymore, thankfully I have choice.
When I want service I expect their attention, I'll go elsewhere even if it costs more and I let them know, just a an old Grumble Bum...lol.

we have a Rays Outdoor in Midland - close to me - shyte service, pimply faced kids who dont know what an Engel is.......etc

I go to Rays in Cannington, (a fair way away) because the service is there, and the Staff seem to know what you are asking - (I was looking for the clips to lock the lid on our 40L to stop the lid from coming off everytime you open the damn thing)

to expect the following from staff when shopping seems to be a tall ask
Manners, Courtesy, Knowledge

just a an old Grumble Bum...lol.

Im with you there...................

Reactions: Drover and dagree

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Was it a Sunshine coast dealer?? because it sound typical of sunshine coast businesses. I also live on the sunshine coast and have never been able to do a deal on any large purchase up here, (cars etc). I always start out on the coast as I just don't want to drive to Brisbane to buy things when they are sold up here.
I was in the market for a new Pajero last year, it was a easy transaction no trade , cash deal, I couldn't even get a brochure from two dealers, managed a test drive from the third but then they didn't want to talk $$$ or even phone back. I finished up doing a deal over the phone/ email with a dealer from the gold coast.
I'll give a hint to people in sales.. Just because someone walks into the business in shorts and thongs it doesn't mean they don't have 50k burning a hole in their pocket. I mean that's the standard dress standard up here.

And the local traders associations are always in the media complaining we don't shop local. I wonder why??
cheers

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I had good service from a dealer in Maroochydore a couple of times (if thats the one you mean @jdove) usually while I am waiting, waiting, waiting for ARB next door.
But I have a really good way to deal with poor service, I just walk out even if they say they will be back in a sec, I just lose it and walk. I almost bought a different car for that reason, just walked out on the so called sales man, fortunatly there was another dealer in Noosa or who knows what I would be driving now, talk about cutting ones nose off..........lol

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
I agree @jdove, most people ignore my wife (27) and i (24) because we are young and must assume we are tyre kickers when this will be our 3rd van and now definatly a jayco as im sick of looking at rubbish. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I must admit for a minority of my generation, its embaressing to see the rest so ignorant.

I own and run my own business and learnt well before it was my own if you dont have good service, you don't have much at all as people seem to remember the service they receive moreso than anything else.

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
The dealer near ARB was the dealer I managed to get a test drive with but that was as far as we got with them. I actually tried to book the car in for it's first service with them and to get the Mitsubishi factory trailer brake wiring harness fitted. they had the cheek to tell me it didn't exist and I must be talking about a overseas product. I went out to my car and got the owners handbook and showed them the page about the harness and even gave them the part number, but no I was still wrong. I phone up Eagers in Brisbane, yep no problem we have the harness in stock we can fit that when we do the service ( it was cheaper than getting a auto electrician to wire it up).Down to brizzy I go and take the opportunity to go into the city for Xmas shopping. So again I have to spend my money away from the sunshine coast.

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I agree @jdove
I own and run my own business and learnt well before it was my own if you dont have good service, you don't have much at all as people seem to remember the service they receive moreso than anything else.
shhhhhhh ..... don't spread that poison talk. I'm self employed in manufacturing, and treating people like they matter is the only edge I have; and it works so well I've never needed to advertise to date. So keep that customer service secret stuff to yourself. I don't want everyone jumping on board.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
shhhhhhh ..... don't spread that poison talk. I'm self employed in manufacturing, and treating people like they matter is the only edge I have; and it works so well I've never needed to advertise to date. So keep that customer service secret stuff to yourself. I don't want everyone jumping on board.
Lol. My thoughts exactly!