Disappointed in Jayco

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
We wanted the Hyland hitch on our van too, but said that it would be too heavy. There are other hitches out there, which in my opinion migt be better, such as the Alko off road hitch, which is what I will be putting on later.
Price

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I think there are 2 types of Hyland hitch - 1 rated at 2000kg and 1 rated at 3500kg. Jayco supplied my van with a Hyland hitch (it is the 2000 kg one) - problem with that on mine is that they have not rated my van at 375kg loading (instead just over 300kg) because things are too near the limit of the Hyland they fitted, I think.

It would seem that Jayco are not aware of or choose to ignore the fact that there is a higher rated Hyland hitch...

Bill

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
I tried to my 14.44-4 with a highland hitch and was told by my dealer that Jayco would no longer supply expandas with these hitches and would warrant them. I settled for the standard ball.

I'm interested to know why you would want an "off road" hitch on 17.56? Where do you intend taking this size van that would require a full articulating hitch?

That was the question I asked myself when deciding weather to changing my hitch to a highland or a Tregg.

Dazz

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
D4Dazz - Well put Mate - MHO - a offroad full articulating hitch on any double axle caravan is there simply as Bling, nothing more. . .

You get a van of this size even close to the extremes of needing a full articulating hitch and,,,, well, I guess you better have one so that it doesnt tip the car over when it tips over :)

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
On a different note, for us I like the tregg block on our 16 for travelling gravel/dirt roads as you can't hear the coupling ''knocking'' and it absorbs the shock transmitted back through the tow hitch.

Each to there own I can't see a right or wrong, thats why the forum is good to hear peoples diiferent views :thumb:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
On a different note, for us I like the tregg block on our 16 for travelling gravel/dirt roads as you can't hear the coupling ''knocking'' and it absorbs the shock transmitted back through the tow hitch.

Each to there own I can't see a right or wrong, thats why the forum is good to hear peoples diiferent views :thumb:

G'day CD. Maybe one of these might stop the knock.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/Ball-Mount.aspx?t_c=67&t_s=419&t_pt=3564&t_pl=102415&t_pn=TOW80420

Of course these wont take a WDH. :smile:

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Hey CD

How do you find lining up the tregg block on soft ground? We had one one our Tambo camper trailer and on really soft ground it was a b!tch to line up when you had no movement on the trailer......

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Honestly never had a problem with the Expanda or the OB Hawk we had previously. I also put a bit of anti seize on the pin that helps too.
006-4.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Using Cruza driver as a witness, we take our 17.56-2OB off the beaten track and I know I have used the articulation of the Tregg/Trigg hitch. I personally think it travels better with that compared with the ball, and its very easy to put on and off.

Your right mate Grannys Flat was a place it came in useful.

Mine also came in handy taking wrong track visiting Algebuckina Bridge on the Oodnatta track. Not saying a ball coupling couldn't have done it but it was good knowing we had the tregg. Either way its suits us too :smile: