Disappointed in Jayco

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Just been advised by my Jayco Dealer, that my van 17.56.2 is ready to be picked up however Jayco in their Wisdon have not provided all the options I orderd and signed off on Conformation. Ok I can live with that , but the unfortunate thing is that Jayco did not install my Ordered and Confirmed Hyland Hitch.. Jayco Claim that at 2.4 ton my expanda is too heavy for the Hyland and fitted a standard coupling instead.. Has anyone had experience in ordering a Hyland hitch on their new Expanda..

Any advice should I just reject the camper and isist the dealer change to a Hyland coupling or take the standard one as is?

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi kolega - we have Hyland coupling on our Expanda - not as heavy as yours - before I bought the Expanda I looked at a Royal Flair Aussiemate that I'm sure was heavier than 2.4 tonne and it was fitted with a Hyland coupling - sounds like a porky from Jayco to me....

Bill

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have one but my van is under 2 ton. I thought there were a few different ratings on the Hyland hitch. I have seen them out there on much bigger vans than mine so just assumed ones were available with a higher rating. This was just my assumption, not a known fact, sorry.

Maybe try and get them to fit one of the many other options out there like an Ozhitch or something similar. I have an Ozhitch on my old Hawk, it was pretty easy to use (not as easy as the Hyland though).

Good luck with sorting out your frustrations.

Cruiser 06

Jun 2, 2012
brisbane qld
Hi kolega - we have Hyland coupling on our Expanda - not as heavy as yours - before I bought the Expanda I looked at a Royal Flair Aussiemate that I'm sure was heavier than 2.4 tonne and it was fitted with a Hyland coupling - sounds like a porky from Jayco to me....

Bill

hi kolega i have ordered a hyland hitch as well.
go to hyland web site they do a 3500 kg hitch kedron caravans use this hitch and they weigh over 3 tonne

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
hi Kolega,

just found this info on the Hyland Hitch 2000.

Hyland 2000 Cast Electric Body
The HYLAND 2000 Trailer Coupling is a fully articulated 50mm ball coupling that can be connected and disconnected in the blink of an eye. The HYLAND 2000 has been tested and is certified for use on trailers up to 2000Kg’s.

Hyland 3500 With Handbrake
Hyland 3500 With Handbrake. This HYLAND 3500 Series COUPLING will bolt on using the same hole patten as the standard electric type coupling uses , that is a hole patten of 185mm *55mm * 13mm. The TOW BALL recommended for the HYLAND 3500 SERIES COUPLING is the standard 3500kg * 50mm ball.

You may need to look into this a bit more.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Colin

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Folks thanks for all your prompt response, awesome forum... I purchased a new Expanda because I wanted specific little things, Jayco failed to install 3 om my oprions and they are so blazey about everthing, a take it or leave it attitude.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Folks thanks for all your prompt response, awesome forum... I purchased a new Expanda because I wanted specific little things, Jayco failed to install 3 om my oprions and they are so blazey about everthing, a take it or leave it attitude.

Thats really terrible news. What else didn't they do/install?

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Jayco Faield to deliver of my Confirmed options, Fridge Fan, Additional Jockey wheel mount, Hyland Coupling. Dealer will install a fan so no probs there however the non deliver of hyland offroad coupling is a real downer..

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Jayco Faield to deliver of my Confirmed options, Fridge Fan, Additional Jockey wheel mount, Hyland Coupling. Dealer will install a fan so no probs there however the non deliver of hyland offroad coupling is a real downer..

Mate try it on the dealer, suggest that as they have broken the sales contract you either don't wish to proceed and request your deposit be returned or force them to install it! In essence Jayco /dealer are bound by this contract to provide items. From above thread it appears there excuse is null invoid and they owe you that coupling.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Mate we just picked up our van and the monkeys stuffed it up and built the cafe dinette rather than the l shape lounge option. We decided to take the van anyway and got them to give us a cheque for $1500 for the trouble. They also didn't put the junction box on the roof for the solar Pre wire. Couple of other things that are a bit annoying like the Anne's light getting covered by the door when it is open etc. but all in all we are happy.

My advice would be, find out how much a hyland hitch is, double it then ask them for that, if they don't like it then insist they simply put the hitch on like they agreed in the contract

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Zerosecta,

About that j-box how did they do the prewire without it? Did they do the prewire at all?

Cheers
Burnsy

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
Zerosecta that is interesting that you ordered the l shape lounge and ended up with the cafe dinnete when we recently ordered our 16.49.1 we said and even pointed to the dinnete model 16.49.1b in the plan layouts I questioned how they tell the difference between the two layouts as all that was on the folder and contract was 16.49.1 he replied we know.
A month later the final contract with extras and plan layout turned up and you guessed it wrong layout on the extras it referred to the dinnete model but on the plan it had the l shaped lounge it's all sorted at this stage but now I have this constant thought in my mind that they are going to stuff it up again.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hey Zerosecta,
About that j-box how did they do the prewire without it? Did they do the prewire at all?
Cheers
Burnsy

J-Box ? - That must be the bit I'm missing that should be on the roof?

I know they have done the wire bit because where the battery is, there is the wire for it taped up. Also I can see the wire going up into the roof from the inside, but that's it - nothing on the roof

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
We have a 17.56.2.OB that has an ATM of 2469 and had a Hyland Coupling fitted. This was fitted just prior to pickup by the dealer and not the factory. It was sent from the factory with a standard coupling. Ours has a brake attached so I am presuming its the 3500kg coupling. As you had agreed on the Hyland I would insist they fit the 3500kg. Ours is on a 2500kg, 50mm ball as well so maybe I should look into it more as well. I also think the attitude is that Jayco mass produce as mentioned elsewhere on this site and fix the problems as they arise.
Hope this helps

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Geelong ordered our 12 with a cupboard/bench on the offside instead of the 2 seater couch. I refused to take it. They offered me the stock item delivered the same day which had a seat but different colours and aircon but said i had to pay $1000 for aircon. I said i would take if the aircon was free. They agreed so stick it to them hard.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Geelong ordered our 12 with a cupboard/bench on the offside instead of the 2 seater couch. I refused to take it. They offered me the stock item delivered the same day which had a seat but different colours and aircon but said i had to pay $1000 for aircon. I said i would take if the aircon was free. They agreed so stick it to them hard.

So They Stuffed up and then wanted you to pay $1000 for it and take a van that had a different colour scheme to the one you chose - Classic - Want a bunch of Jockers..

As said before we squeezed them and got 1500 back and even got them to pay for lunch across the road in the hotel while we waited for them to accept that they had stuffed up and deal with it

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ok, :focus: and Kolega let us know how you go hopefully it can get sorted out for you and dont let it spoil the excitment of a new Expanda.

:tea:

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Folks, all sorted now and my New camper has come home will post Photos as soon as it stops raining. In summary Jayco insists that my 17-56-2 is too heawy for a Highlander coupling (which is Bull$hi#) I just wish Jayco would say we stuffed up and forgot to install you Offroad Coupling rather than tell Porkys and make a fool of both teh Dealer and the customer. To the Dealers credit they understood my dissapointment and were very sorry and discounted the final price accordingly as well as a complementary first service upto $250 as compensation for the confusion from Jayco.. I am happy now thanks to the Dealer (not Jayco).. Everything else on the Expanda looks Perfect so Looking forward to my first trip..

Tuco

Jul 16, 2012
When we ordered our 17.55-4 OB from the local Cairns dealer, the original order included a request for a Highland Hitch among a number of other changes. When the Jayco acknowledgement came back to the dealer, the Highland Hitch was deleted with an explanation that it didn't meet the ATM of the 'van. Bollocks!! Our Jayco has a plated ATM of 2459 Kg. The Highland is rated at 3500 Kg !
So we took delivery with a standard ALKO ball hitch and intend replacing it with a Hitchmaster DO35.

It appears to me that Jayco deal with a number of specific suppliers - in particular, Camec, Coast to Coast, and Dometic - and if a request is for equipment from another supplier, then they fabricate a lame excuse as to why the item cant be fitted.
My local dealer offered to replace the ALKO with a Highland if we wanted meaning added expense that could have been averted if the Highland was factory fitted in the first place.

The local dealer have been very helpfull rectifying other issues as well.

Example - we also requested that the dual batteries (2x100AH and solar instalation) be fitted under the dinette seat instead of the original plan which had them both located under the off side bed. My reason for the change was to 'balance' the van better as all the heavy items (Air conditioner, fridge, microwave, Sitec and Cassette ) were on the off side. The dinette location would also place the heavy battery weight directly over the tandem axles instead of midway between axle group and the tow hitch. Weight added to the axle group area has virtually no effect on ball weight. Especially if added directly above the load sharing rocker.

Jayco responded that there wasn't enough room under the dinette seat. Rubbish! I had a spare 3rd battery and fitted it - then took it to the local dealer who relocated the orginal 2 to the original position that we requested - no problem!

These poptops come off the production line at 90 per week. About one every 25 minutes. Anything that deviates from the basic original design can't be accomodated it would seem.

Are we happy with our unit? Yes - still a few small items for the local dealer to sort - but yes - happy so far.